• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should pedigreed books not be signed?

122 posts in this topic

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but to CGC when they grade the physical condition of a comic book to assign a "Universal" grade, writing on the cover is considered damage whether it says "Stan Lee", or "Go Steelers!". That's a fact, and not an opinion in any way, shape, or form. (thumbs u

:blahblah: Sorry... you're never going to be able to convince me it's damage because to me it's not. I don't care what Overstreet, CGC, you or anyone else says. :foryou:

Gotcha. It's not damage because you say so. Okay.

So, it is damage just because they say so, when you can't find damage when you look at the book other than a thin layer of ink that wasn't there when the comic was printed?

I am not for or against either "side" here, but I do think that saying signing a comic (or anything made out of paper) with a Sharpie actually causes damage (same as ripping a page, or poking a hole in it, or getting a comic wet) is erroneous.

If there is proof to the contrary, I am not aware of it, and would gladly take the education if it exists.

-slym

Not that I want to take sides - but I think an autograph is damage. You are doing something to the book that cannot be undone and it does affect the function of the cover art: to effectivly convey a summary of the story contained within. Autographs, scribbling, etc on a fundamental level detracts from the art.

For me, I think "damage" is a pretty harsh word, but it does seem to fit how they are using it in grading.

Technically, an unverified signature is considered a "defect" - I think calling it damage is way too harsh. I wouldn't consider a price written in pen on the back of a book to be damage either.

Yeah, there ya go: "defect". I think that is much more appropriate.

Does anybody remember this book, or thread?

Signed pedigree Avengers 1.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

I do.

I shared an example, what I think was THE example of a book you should not have signed. 7 in 9.2, one higher. The higher grading copy is a 9.6 that has never been to market. Most of the other 9.2s have worse PQ and overall presentation. This book makes me want to puke.

cgc_tta_35_92_ss_4003.jpg

That makes me cringe too.

Thank you.

When I posted this before nobody responded to share in the misery of this.

What's there to dislike? It's a beautiful, high grade book with a signature from the guy who actually wrote it :shrug:

I do.

I shared an example, what I think was THE example of a book you should not have signed. 7 in 9.2, one higher. The higher grading copy is a 9.6 that has never been to market. Most of the other 9.2s have worse PQ and overall presentation. This book makes me want to puke.

Thank you.

What's there to dislike? It's a beautiful, high grade book with a signature from the guy who actually wrote it :shrug:

+1. Unlike 90%+ of the Stan Lee-signed books out there, he actually wrote part of this one.

I think it's cool, and no different than him signing, say...a high-grade Captain America # 3.

Maybe Stan should have taken it to the can and wiped his with it too? After all, he wrote it.

143853.jpg.47624201768b5ba1bd44b5cd1178bf2a.jpg

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but to CGC when they grade the physical condition of a comic book to assign a "Universal" grade, writing on the cover is considered damage whether it says "Stan Lee", or "Go Steelers!". That's a fact, and not an opinion in any way, shape, or form. (thumbs u

:blahblah: Sorry... you're never going to be able to convince me it's damage because to me it's not. I don't care what Overstreet, CGC, you or anyone else says. :foryou:

Gotcha. It's not damage because you say so. Okay.

So, it is damage just because they say so, when you can't find damage when you look at the book other than a thin layer of ink that wasn't there when the comic was printed?

I am not for or against either "side" here, but I do think that saying signing a comic (or anything made out of paper) with a Sharpie actually causes damage (same as ripping a page, or poking a hole in it, or getting a comic wet) is erroneous.

If there is proof to the contrary, I am not aware of it, and would gladly take the education if it exists.

-slym

Not that I want to take sides - but I think an autograph is damage. You are doing something to the book that cannot be undone and it does affect the function of the cover art: to effectivly convey a summary of the story contained within. Autographs, scribbling, etc on a fundamental level detracts from the art.

For me, I think "damage" is a pretty harsh word, but it does seem to fit how they are using it in grading.

Technically, an unverified signature is considered a "defect" - I think calling it damage is way too harsh. I wouldn't consider a price written in pen on the back of a book to be damage either.

Agreed 100%

-slym

I don't know if I should laugh or cry on this thread.

For me it damages the appearance of the book. I do have dozens of books that I have gotten signed over the years, but zero of them were on the cover.

And none of them are rare ultra high grade books .

I don't own any yellow label books.

Maybe Stan should have taken it to the can and wiped his with it too? After all, he wrote it.

I'm not sure CGC is qualified to verify he wiped his with it. Either way bad analogy.

In my opinion it's someone's book they can do wtfever they want with it. If they want Stan to wipe his butt with it then fine. Doesn't upset me in the least but I'd say it's weird.

In my opinion it's someone's book they can do wtfever they want with it. If they want Stan to wipe his butt with it then fine.

Exactly, and being in a free country, we can all freely voice our opinion on said butt-wiping.

So now it's just "Do you like signed comics?" Thanks God we can have this discussion again, maybe everyone will finally agree one way or the other.

Yep - we're about 20 seconds away from this turning into the usual "what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks" nonsense.

I'm not sure CGC is qualified to verify he wiped his with it. Either way bad analogy.

In my opinion it's someone's book they can do wtfever they want with it. If they want Stan to wipe his butt with it then fine. Doesn't upset me in the least but I'd say it's weird.

:cloud9: The Dingleberry Collection!

I think I just found a new collecting focus. I'd love me some Brown Labels!

Hey guys, just got a little time off during the holidays, to which I am using some to transfer comic book cbr/cbz files to the iPad (and using Calibre to translate to the Kindle) and got a bit winsome for the forums.

Good to see you JC. :hi:

I do.

Thank you.

+1. Unlike 90%+ of the Stan Lee-signed books out there, he actually wrote part of this one.

I think it's cool, and no different than him signing, say...a high-grade Captain America # 3.

There's only 8 this nice and it ranks towards the top of that list. Have Stan sign one of the 8.0s. I want a copy of this SS'd, but on one of the best copies in existence? F that. I also want this book eventually in my collection in 9.0+ condition and this has effectively limited my buying options. Severely in fact, because there's multiple 9.0s and 9.2s that I do not want.

Is this copy being sold? If not, all other points are moot.

:shrug:

-slym

I think so. It was listed for sale for for well over a year somewhere, and it probably still is.

Besides, everything has a price Slym.

Ah, OK. I didn't know, and to be taking about a book that isn't for sale as limiting one's resource pool seemed silly.

And not everything has a price, Boboset.

-slym

I bet every comic does.