• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist Posting...Get a Clue

24 posts in this topic

Without seeing the back covers, no idea what printing these are. So no idea really what they are worth. IF they were 1st prints then $15 each isn't outlandish.
At 25-cent cover price, those are not first prints. They're more likely among the last printings of each.

From the covers, you can tell they are not first prints. But, I have seen them listing these ever since I started collecting again. And, what I really find funny...the timestamp on the picture. But, like I said, the lister is persistent.

Without seeing the back covers, no idea what printing these are. So no idea really what they are worth. IF they were 1st prints then $15 each isn't outlandish.
At 25-cent cover price, those are not first prints. They're more likely among the last printings of each.

They are later printings. The layout, price and titling of the first and second prints are so distinctive, you couldn't confuse them with later printings.

I bought a good run of these less than a year ago, which started from the first issue.

I do reasonably well with the later prints, selling them often in the $5 per book range at an outdoor show I do in the summer. I very seldom go through that show without selling out my Classics, so my impression is that I have them pretty reasonably priced.

One guy a few summers ago bought a large stack of them when I told them they were $5 per book so the impression I got was that he probably pays more for them.

They are later printings. The layout, price and titling of the first and second prints are so distinctive, you couldn't confuse them with later printings.

I bought a good run of these less than a year ago, which started from the first issue.

I do reasonably well with the later prints, selling them often in the $5 per book range at an outdoor show I do in the summer. I very seldom go through that show without selling out my Classics, so my impression is that I have them pretty reasonably priced.

One guy a few summers ago bought a large stack of them when I told them they were $5 per book so the impression I got was that he probably pays more for them.

I missed the 25 cent cover price - thank you (both of you) for the correction.

I also have sold a lot of (later edition) Classics Illustrated's in the $5 range. They sell better than many might think. My experience also is people buying them are less concerned about condition. As long as the issues are complete and not much money, they do sell.

My most recent Craigslist fiasco was from a guy who has been posting the same collection for about 6 months (maybe longer). Mid-90s stuff, mostly Marvel, some DC. There are around 850 comics, which some price guide tells him is worth $5,000. He'll take $4,000. There are a few comics that have some value (an X-Men 266, an X-Factor 24), but mostly it is just stuff that would sell for around 50 cents or a dollar.

Finally, after seeing this listed over and over again, I e-mail him and make him an offer. I tell him for this really common 90s stuff, I usually offer around 25-30 cents each, or $250. I explain that these comics are plentiful, that Overstreet is extremely exaggerated on these comics, that it will take me a long time to sell them (and for a total of probably around $1,000).

He is unhappy. "I'm not selling them for 250 just so you can make profit" he responds.

Here's the thing. He is requires the purchaser to take everything. He also refuses to sell to dealers. Who is going to buy the whole thing other than a dealer/reseller?

He then actually posted an ad on Craigslist with my name and phone number telling everyone that I was a thief. Real nice.

"It costs $60-$75 per comic to have them graded."

:lol:

-slym

To be fair, if you don't have a membership to submit directly to CGC, then you have to submit thru a dealer and will most likely pay more so that the dealer can profit. On top of that, add shipping to and from Canada, then maybe it did cost him $60 ea to get them graded.

I missed the 25 cent cover price - thank you (both of you) for the correction.

I also have sold a lot of (later edition) Classics Illustrated's in the $5 range. They sell better than many might think. My experience also is people buying them are less concerned about condition. As long as the issues are complete and not much money, they do sell.

Seeking to get all the HRNs certainly appeals to the completist, as well as (as has been mentioned) the different art/layout through various issues. So while they do not command big $ there are always people looking for particular issues.

"It costs $60-$75 per comic to have them graded."

:lol:

To be fair, if you don't have a membership to submit directly to CGC, then you have to submit thru a dealer and will most likely pay more so that the dealer can profit. On top of that, add shipping to and from Canada, then maybe it did cost him $60 ea to get them graded.

OR, he was using hyperbole to try & help sell his stuff.

:grin:

-slym

Seeking to get all the HRNs certainly appeals to the completist, as well as (as has been mentioned) the different art/layout through various issues. So while they do not command big $ there are always people looking for particular issues.

I've always found (with some exceptions) that people who collect CIs only collect CIs. The most common HRN -- 169 -- can be found for not much, but other earlier ones or CI spin-offs (World Around Us, for example) can be a bit tougher and fetch much more.

He then actually posted an ad on Craigslist with my name and phone number telling everyone that I was a thief. Real nice.

What a nutball move.

This is a good reminder, for me, of why it's best not to give a Craigslist person your name and number until you're at the phase of completing the transaction.

What a nutball move.

This is a good reminder, for me, of why it's best not to give a Craigslist person your name and number until you're at the phase of completing the transaction.

My name was likely on my e-mail. (I have a very unusual name.) And he must have looked up my number online somewhere. (It was an old land-line number that is no longer used, but still...)

I'd call him and ask him how he's going to be posting CL ads from intensive care.