• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE 2014 SKETCH COVER SUPER/MEGA THREAD

1,468 posts in this topic

Books from WW: StL

I picked up a number of books but here are favorites:

First up is Tommy Castillo! I have a good amount of his WoTC art but have never met him in person, I should have done this alot sooner he is an awesome and amazingly personable guy.

He did a sketch in my D&D: Villain design handbook (which will be a multi-artist jam) and I picked up the original to one of the in book illustrations.

e12d352f-a6ad-4470-8f71-64589dda7b5b_zps879876ea.jpg

20140406_062435_zps61509c0a.jpg

One of my favorite tea stain/water color artists (non-comic) is Laura Siadak. She does great work on canvas and paper so I commissioned her to do a wonder woman!

da09e342-db28-4b98-a807-9fbe785e46f0_zpsea791c5e.jpg

Next is a Harley commission from Tony Moy, this picture is garabage and does not do the cover justice. I thought I had a better one but I don't, he really knocked it out of the park with..

20140405_095431_zps900e191a.jpg

Speaking of knocking it out of the park, Brian Atkins has never given me a bad commission. I just don't think this guy knows how to not draw something awesome! When the day comes we have a BotB: Darkhawk, I have my entry.

f64b816e-a4e4-4ebf-83bf-cc178242d900_zpsaff5d4f3.jpg

To end on a downer, Danny Fingeroth was in attendance (writer for all 50 issues) and I didn't see him on the list before I left. My Darkhawk #1 will have to wait until next time but I talked his ear off about story lines and character origins.

Also for many people who buy and commission sketch covers not everyone can be a homerun no matter how much the artist or you try. I had a pre-show pencil commission with an artist that didn't turn out well (it was bad), so I took it to a inker who tried to save it, and finally to a colorist. It turned out to be a hot mess and something that will be a freebie in a future sales thread. The cover had a waxy (not gloss) film that just didn't work for any inks or colors to the best of their trying (and they did try! and thanked them for). These guys do great and often cheap work for their fans and it should be appreciated.

Firefly by Time Seeley

IMG_0820_zps9774a7e2.jpg

Baroness by Scott Blair

IMG_0829_zps62cac6d5.jpg

Baroness by Garett Blair

IMG_0828_zpsc1514936.jpg

Wow, I love the Joe sketches espically the two Baroness sketches. She was always my favorite Joe female character. Scott Blair does such nice work.

Wizard World St. Louis for the most part wasn't bad at all. Got a bunch signed for some people and some sketches for others. A big hand to Hank Pym, Kevlar, and dscott. While Curt was the man on the ground, simply could not have had some of the stuff done that we did without Kevlar and dscott's help.

Brian Atkins with color by Jeff Balke

IMG_0230_zps9773e979.jpg

Jason Metcalf with color by Jeff Balke trying to put something together to be picked up for us at Fan Expo Dallas - More in a few.

IMG_0228_zpscc97e689.jpg

IMG_0221_zpsef975b9c.jpg

Jason Metcalf

IMG_0225_zpse1967955.jpg

Rob Prior - More on him later...

IMG_0224_zpsca8a8858.jpg

Jay Sloan with color by Jeff Balke

IMG_0220_zps48c5699f.jpg

Arthur Suydam with color by Jeff Balke

IMG_0222_zpsb41f1111.jpg

Greg Capullo was awesome, got two of these done

IMG_0205_zpsfe795ffb.jpg

Favorite one of the show

EVS take of Miller's Dark Knight Returns with the beginning of the 700 skyline style. Signed by Neal Adams, Tommy Castillo, Mike Grell, Greg Capullo.

IMG_0223_zps7ed1bbac.jpg