• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #1 CLUB : THE PUNY LITTLE MAN LEAGUE

1,315 posts in this topic

Could be shilling of the kind where people take a bit of a risk bidding other peoples books up because higher GPA will benefit their own inventory of that book.

:preach:

Some of the biggest dealers in the hobby who post on these boards have remarked how difficult it is to keep any kind of inventory of hulk 1's. I can't imagine someone doing that for a single copy maybe two low grade hulk 1's that they may have to sell. It's not as though these are growing on vines. There have already been enough sales of other low grade copies to make this price at least somewhat plausible, and at this price it would still be the cheapest, best presenting copy available.

And as a matter of personal story I know that when I bought my particular copy I paid about $1k over the last GPA high at the time. Got sniped for another $500 at the last second. And even still I had a max bid in for another $500 over that. I had about 10 ebay feedback at the time.

Sometimes when you want it, you just want it. :insane:

-J.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141392615672&rt=nc&_trksid=p2054897.l2565

Mama mia. This is one bloody auction. Just goes to show what two determined bidders can do to a book's price.

-J.

Yes this is an abolsute joke.

Over 6k for a Hulk #1 CGC 2.0 is just absurd and bad for hobby if this abolsute jerk off pays that price.

John,

With all due respect you don't make any sense. You just spent the last two big shows watching Bob Storms sell Hulk #1's for record price after record price but now a random eBay bidder is bad for the hobby?

@ bomber-bob John knows comics4less. In chicago he was asking me if I knew where his booth was.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141392615672&rt=nc&_trksid=p2054897.l2565

Mama mia. This is one bloody auction. Just goes to show what two determined bidders can do to a book's price.

-J.

Over 6k for a Hulk #1 CGC 2.0 is just absurd and bad for hobby if this abolsute jerk off pays that price.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but care to elaborate?

I don't know if I've ever heard someone say ''it's bad for the hobby if the values are increasing".

Just not sure I follow.

Edit: further, why are they a "jerk off" for wanting to buy a book?

I'm missing the "bad for the hobby" bit and this just shows that Hulk 1 is the book this year that is doing the biggest jumping in value. 15k for a 6.0 is big big money. I think these books are finally seeing their day.

Next up - TOS 39 and JIM 83

Still looks shilly to me. (shrug)

Two bidders going back and forth at it for a chance to own the only available decent presenting low grade copy for under $8k

looks shilly? One of whom missed out on another copy earlier in the week ? (shrug)

There have been too many other low grade copies selling at ever higher prices on multiple other venues for anyone to really "need" to shill it.

-J.

Two bidders going back and forth at it for a chance to own the only available decent presenting low grade copy for under $8k

looks shilly? One of whom missed out on another copy earlier in the week ? (shrug)

There have been too many other low grade copies selling at ever higher prices on multiple other venues for anyone to really "need" to shill it.

-J.

Two bidders driving up the price on themselves, days before the auction is scheduled to end. I'll give the lower FB guy the benefit of the doubt, but the guy with 300+ FB?

My son knows not to do that, and he's only 8.

Something is not right, IMO.

-J.

Two bidders driving up the price on themselves, days before the auction is scheduled to end. I'll give the lower FB guy the benefit of the doubt, but the guy with 300+ FB?

That 300+ feedback guy is the one who lost out on the earlier auction for the 1.8. He's obviously going for it now. Lord knows when I've lost out on enough auctions I have pulled the trigger on a BIN sometimes well over FMV just to get it over with and not muck with an auction at all. And if I am going after a not often auctioned rarer book I like to hold the highest bid for the duration of the auction, so if I get outbid I immediately raise my bid minutes later. It's an aggressive way to lay your claim. Not everyone likes to hang back and snipe at the end. In fact I hate that. If everyone did that an auction would sit at 0 until the last ten seconds. lol

-J.

-J.

That 300+ feedback guy is the one who lost out on the earlier auction for the 1.8. He's obviously going for it now. Lord knows when I've lost out on enough auctions I have pulled the trigger on a BIN sometimes well over FMV just to get it over with and not muck with an auction at all. And if I am going after a not often auctioned rarer book I like to hold the highest bid for the duration of the auction, so if I get outbid I immediately raise my bid minutes later. It's an aggressive way to lay your claim. Not everyone likes to hang back and snipe at the end. In fact I hate that. If everyone did that an auction would sit at 0 until the last ten seconds. lol

-J.

Interesting you bring up the 1.8. Looking at the bid history, he was in it, but not in the final 14 hours? Like the price was now high enough to "stop?"

Maybe others do it the way you do, but you are in a very small minority. Putting in a holding bid is normal. Driving the bid up on yourself, constantly, is strange, especially when you go silent 14 hours from the end.

Smells shilly.

-J.

-J.

Interesting you bring up the 1.8. Looking at the bid history, he was in it, but not in the final 14 hours? Like the price was now high enough to "stop?"

Maybe others do it the way you do, but you are in a very small minority. Putting in a holding bid is normal. Driving the bid up on yourself, constantly, is strange, especially when you go silent 14 hours from the end.

Smells shilly.

The 1.8 still sold relatively strong, but the eye appeal and sharpie in the title would clearly stop many buyers from going balls out. And again, this 2.0, as of now at least, is the most affordable low grade copy out there. I find it plausible that a couple bidders may be feeling a "now or never" vibe with the way prices have been going. That alone would negate the need to shill IMO. Hulk 1 is no marvel preview 4/7. It has decades of relevance and collector good will behind it. That and its relative scarcity with not one but two record smashing sales within a six month period tells me that hulk 1 can stand on its own merits.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Smells shilly.

The 1.8 still sold relatively strong, but the eye appeal and sharpie in the title would clearly stop many buyers from going balls out. And again, this 2.0, as of now at least, is the most affordable low grade copy out there. I find it plausible that a couple bidders may be feeling a "now or never" vibe with the way prices have been going. That alone would negate the need to shill IMO. Hulk 1 is no marvel preview 4/7. It has decades of relevance and collector good will behind it. That and its relative scarcity with not one but two record smashing sales within a six month period tells me that hulk 1 can stand on its own merits.

-J.

You may be right, however, just because something's hot, doesn't mean people won't still shill it. In fact, the opposite maybe true. They see how hot a book is, and want to make sure they get top dollar as well. Also, could be that the shillers are pumping up other peoples books because they have one and want the price up for theirs.

None of this may be true, but I have a hard time believing that anyone with the money to buy a Hulk #1 doesn't realize it is counterproductive to drive the price up on yourself.

-J.

-J.

Smells shilly.

-J.

You may be right, however, just because something's hot, doesn't mean people won't still shill it. In fact, the opposite maybe true. They see how hot a book is, and want to make sure they get top dollar as well. Also, could be that the shillers are pumping up other peoples books because they have one and want the price up for theirs.

None of this may be true, but I have a hard time believing that anyone with the money to buy a Hulk #1 doesn't realize it is counterproductive to drive the price up on yourself.

Not everyone approaches auctions rationally. Some folks seem to think that if they lead the longest then they win.

-J.

-J.

Smells shilly.

-J.

Not everyone approaches auctions rationally. Some folks seem to think that if they lead the longest then they win.

lol

-J.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but care to elaborate?

I don't know if I've ever heard someone say ''it's bad for the hobby if the values are increasing".

Just not sure I follow.

Edit: further, why are they a "jerk off" for wanting to buy a book?

Anyone who thinks a Hulk #1 CGC 2.0 (currently at 7k) should be worth more than an AF 15 CGC 2.0 should have their head examined.

There are a lot of jerk offs in this hobby.

AF 15's exploded, but Hulk #1's are heading to 2008 housing unrealistic prices.

Hulk's 1 for sure deserve a boost, but if 1.0's sell at 10k that is not good for the hobby what so ever.

Slow and steady keeps the hobby around not run-ups like the housing market.

-J.

John,

With all due respect you don't make any sense. You just spent the last two big shows watching Bob Storms sell Hulk #1's for record price after record price but now a random eBay bidder is bad for the hobby?

@ bomber-bob John knows comics4less. In chicago he was asking me if I knew where his booth was.

Roy, I hate the term with all due respect.......

Lamest term in the books.

Just say:

"John you dumb ***insert fun word*** I disagree.

This current sale may or not be a shill. I am 50/50 whether the winning bidder is legit or not and not due to Comics4less's control.

If you think a Hulk 1 CGC 2.0 selling for what now looks like over $8k is good then you are a better man than me. I think that is unrealistic and bad for the hobby. That would mean if someone bought a 4.0 last month they can resell it for triple what they paid? Get the F out here.

So if that holds true than an AF 15 CGC 2.0 should sell for 15K.......

So that means I should now be able to sell my AF CGC 4.0 for 25k hm