• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The spider that bit Peter Parker!

43 posts in this topic

These guys look pretty awesome

peacock-spider14.jpg

But they're also pretty tiny...

peacock-spider4.jpg

Linky: Tiny, colorful spiders

I've always found it baffling that in the comics, Peter Parker has taken virtually ZERO interest in spiders and their vast diversity, and how it could help him understand his own powers. I mean you're a scientist, Parker! Do some research!

Weird.

Spiders creep me out. I can handle reptiles, amphibians, worms, praying mantises and other animals, but spiders and scorpions unnerve me.

Perhaps because I've been bitten by a black widow, a brown widow, a tarantula, and stung by a scorpion. Also got bitten by a camel spider.

When I was a child I used to catch and collect spiders, and keep them in jars. Mostly the colorful orb weavers. As I got older I guess the thrill was gone.

I counted and killed 34 widow spiders this summer outside of my house and under the patio furniture

I counted and killed 34 widow spiders this summer outside of my house and under the patio furniture

dude, it's time to call an exterminator!

If you get one bite that'll learn ya!

I HAVE been bitten. Once by a black and once by a brown widow. Made me sick as hell. The brown widow bite affected me worse.

I HAVE been bitten. Once by a black and once by a brown widow. Made me sick as hell. The brown widow bite affected me worse.

When you get down to Texas, you'll have Tarantulas to look forward to!

Probably a Black Widow and a Brown Recluse.

No, not a Recluse. I know what they look like, and have treated bites from them. Recluse bites have very distinctive signatures, and cause severe tissue necrosis. Usually minor surgical intervention is needed to debride the affected tissue area around and on the bite site. Widow bites basically give you a fever, tachycardia, nausea, and are very painful.

I guess I am a bit phobic when it comes to poisonous critters.

I had a neighbor that showed me the black widow she killed in her outdoor storage shed and as soon as I confirmed it was the real McCoy. I not only called an exterminator but prior to them getting there I bombed my shed under my crawl space and my house twice!

Knowing these can kill children make me go medieval on their azzez!

Any spider that is brown or especially black takes a dirt nap and I don't take any chances.

Yea I'm afraid of spiders too!! Like wicked scared. But at the same time I'm extremely fascinated by them. I respect them.

One time on vacation, we rented a house with a small front porch and some bushes. We would sit on the porch, watching these spiders emerge from the bush at around sunset to spin their webs. Every night the same scene was repeated. Fascinating creatures.

I guess I am a bit phobic when it comes to poisonous critters.

I had a neighbor that showed me the black widow she killed in her outdoor storage shed and as soon as I confirmed it was the real McCoy. I not only called an exterminator but prior to them getting there I bombed my shed under my crawl space and my house twice!

Knowing these can kill children make me go medieval on their azzez!

Any spider that is brown or especially black takes a dirt nap and I don't take any chances.

Taking the battle to their home turf, I like that. (thumbs u

Weird.

Spiders creep me out. I can handle reptiles, amphibians, worms, praying mantises and other animals, but spiders and scorpions unnerve me.

Ever se a praying mantis kill a bird or attack a cat or kill a mouse???

Yep seen those. Saw the snake one as well where the snake won lol

No, not a Recluse. I know what they look like, and have treated bites from them. Recluse bites have very distinctive signatures, and cause severe tissue necrosis. Usually minor surgical intervention is needed to debride the affected tissue area around and on the bite site. Widow bites basically give you a fever, tachycardia, nausea, and are very painful.

Recluse bites are over-reported, according to the literature. There are thousands of reported bites in states a recluse has never been seen.

I know spider researchers. Interesting stuff!

My very 1st day at FSU in Tallahassee, I moved into my apartment and found what looked like a brown recluse walking around the bathtub. I killed it and sprayed enough insecticides to give a small country cancer.

That night I get woken up with a sharp pain in my knee and look down to see what looks like another brown recluse running down my leg. I FREAK and rush to the hospital. They said there aren't many recourses in Florida so it might not have been that but it hurt like hell and to this day, 20 years later, I have this small circular green/blue spot of skin where it bit me :mad: