• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #75 Fourth Printing

22 posts in this topic

There are more than a few threads in the forums about the Death and Return of Superman. I started a thread last fall for Superman: The Man of Steel #17 and 18 and the recent sales numbers these books have been generating. There is also a great thread discussing and debating the first appearance of Doomsday, and a thread covering the various printings for the many Death and Return of Superman issues.

With Superman: The Man of Steel #18 heating up for all printings, especially the rare 4th and 5th prints, I started to think about Superman #75. There are many copies of #75 out there to say the least, I wanted to look at #75, the 4th printing specifically.

I purchased many comic collector's packs at Toys "R" Us as a kid, I ended up with a few copies of the #75 4th printing. When I learned of the printing variants, I set my multiple printings aside and coveted the first prints.

As of this writing, the CGC census lists only 3 copies for #75 4th printing in Universal 9.8 grade, and only 3 more for Signature Series 9.8, with a total of only 17 copies submitted altogether.

I'm wanting know if the #75 4th print was ever ordered by comic shops or if these were strictly produced for the collector's packs. I imagine that the manner in which the 4th prints were packaged and distributed in the collector's packs that high grade copies are very difficult to obtain.

I'm curious to hear what others think about the 4th print for #75, if anyone has any idea on print numbers, different opinions and so on.

This is good stuff, this is what I was looking for! (thumbs u

You'll find that the vast majority of the later prints of the Death/funeral/return of Superman books came from the Costco 20 packs. These packs were also the main source for the Batman Knightfall later printings.

Not the mention the whole "DC Universe" UPC box variants, on the DC comics. There are literally tons of those variants from every title from Superman and Batman to the bottom of the barrel DC titles.

Ask RMA whether or not these "DC Universe" UPC books are sought out or not. :devil:

I can see this, especially with #75 being the "event" book and MOS #18 being only the beginning chapter. The event book would merit more copies for each printing over the other chapters. Just a thought.

Also, amazing Death and Return of Superman set!

Thanks. I have several to add, including an 18 9.9. :)

This is good stuff, this is what I was looking for! (thumbs u

You'll find that the vast majority of the later prints of the Death/funeral/return of Superman books came from the Costco 20 packs. These packs were also the main source for the Batman Knightfall later printings.

Not the mention the whole "DC Universe" UPC box variants, on the DC comics. There are literally tons of those variants from every title from Superman and Batman to the bottom of the barrel DC titles.

Ask RMA whether or not these "DC Universe" UPC books are sought out or not. :devil:

:whistle:

There's a 4th print newsstand (UPC barcode) as well.

There is indeed. I can scan mine at some point. I've been slowly working on a direct/newsie set of all four printings.

Aren't these newsstand editions for the 2nd and 3rd prints as well?

There are indeed. I'm thinking I'm going to have to dig mine out for a photo op.