• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus

11 posts in this topic

What I'll be reading over the next several days.

One great gift I received for Christmas was the impressive, massive, beautiful Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. This handsome volume collects the entire saga in 1,124 pages of over-sized, brilliant art reproduction. This edition shall undoubtedly become a treasured keepsake in my library, one I will enjoy for many years.

This story arc is far, far from new for me but reading this again in one volume, with the addition of many extras not included in previous collections adds a new perspective to a story I have read many times over the years. Comparing the original collected editions I have from my childhood to the new presentation in the Omnibus is almost like comparing VHS to Blu-Ray.

The new Omnibus also includes the covers for each chapter, one of the many things missing from my original collected editions - this annoyed me as a kid. There are also little things like the extra story pages from Adventures of Superman #500, the poly-bagged collector's edition, pages that were not included in the newsstand edition or the original collected editions. I have yet to read these pages and I'm curious to see what they are all about. I've also heard this edition contains the missing pages from the "The Legacy of Superman" special and Green Lantern #46, also material which was omitted from the first collected editions. I'm only on the first few chapters and I will soon find out if this is true.

I do know for a fact that the complete issue for Action Comics #692 is included and complete for the first time in the new Omnibus edition. The 1993 edition for The Return of Superman ends with only a partial reprint of the issue, the full issue helps to give closure to the saga, reading only the partial portion printed in the 1993 edition makes the ending seem sudden and less than complete.

I do remember an Omnibus released in 2006 for this saga, the reviews were harsh. The reviews for this new edition are very positive, I'm glad I waited and I'm glade DC made it right this time around.

14992.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Is it me, or there seems to be a lot of "Death of Superman" stuff floating around... and I mean to say that like its by design and not accidental. I got a gut feeling this is a precursor for something big... like... who knows... Doomsday in the Man of Steel movies. Who knows... maybe Warner Bros. will film the tale it in two parts like they did the Harry Potter last two films... with his "Death and Return". What do you think?

Nice Omnibus by the way.

SW3D

There has been a lot of this stuff as of late, the first appearances (cameo & full) have been hot lately - I'm glade I got my copies before the prices took off. I also thought I saw where some have mentioned possible hints of Doomsday in the Man of Steel Blu-Ray extras, I got this for Christmas also and I'll soon find out for myself if this is true or not.

As for your mention/idea of a "Death and Return" movie, I would feel much better about this than the current direction of having Batman/Ben Affleck and Wonder Woman in the next Man of Steel movie.

Another thing I keep thinking about is how there are quite a few of us collectors, including yours truly, who are now in their early thirties and credit this storyline with starting them on comics. The twentieth anniversary mark also passed in the last year, so there is definitely the nostalgia trip.

I have to say this was the first DC story that I have ever really thought stood out to me. I remember even buying the Wizard Magazine special edition for this story. Watching the man of steel being put down by an almost radical version of the Hulk was about the closest my mind could ever get to seeing a Hulk vs Superman. Congrats on the gift and the time that will be spent reminiscing on past stories.

Neat link, I remember reading something in the Krypton Companion (Micheal Eury. 2006) about Jerry Siegle penning a story about Superman's death. The Companion also noted that Julius Schwartz wanted Siegle to write the last Superman story in 1986, Siegle wanted to do it but he had some scheduling conflicts, and now we have Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

I have to say this was the first DC story that I have ever really thought stood out to me. I remember even buying the Wizard Magazine special edition for this story. Watching the man of steel being put down by an almost radical version of the Hulk was about the closest my mind could ever get to seeing a Hulk vs Superman. Congrats on the gift and the time that will be spent reminiscing on past stories.

Thanks Kaholo1256, it's fun reminiscing about the early 90's! Reading this and other posts from you have brought back some grade school memories, particularly for the X-Men and mutants altogether.