• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,215 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 12:18 PM, jimjum12 said:

I went from being unable to stand, have a bowel movement, dress myself, or hardly feel my left side to being able to do some cooking and limited packaging. I was unable to walk and then moved to a walker for a couple of months, then a cane for a couple months, now I can limp and shuffle around like a zombie ... very jerky and off balance, but at least not bed ridden. I drop things from my left hand, can't pick up change or small things with it. I don't think I'll ever be back to work full time. Maybe part time. I was forced to apply early for SS to survive ... like they say, it's no country for old men. I still have some inventory I need to sell off, but no one's buying much. Probably going to consign it somewhere. I'm still kicking though. I definitely won't be doing the bi-weekly sales threads anymore, it just takes too long to do large scale shipping. I have taxes coming up and may try to do one small thread, depending on what I owe. Having the stroke in December caused me to miss most of one of the better months in the year. The boards have helped keep me from spiraling into the abyss of madness and boredom. :foryou: GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You sound better than my late grandmother.  I don't feel you are helpless but I felt helpless to watch my beloved grandmother bedridden and crying.  That was 20 years difference.  It's amazing how lucky people included my parents (both are 83) have advantage of the medical technology today.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, JollyComics said:

You sound better than my late grandmother.  I don't feel you are helpless but I felt helpless to watch my beloved grandmother bedridden and crying.  That was 20 years difference.  It's amazing how lucky people included my parents (both are 83) have advantage of the medical technology today.

My Grandfather died from one over 50 years ago. He was basically a skeleton with a diaper in a crib at the end. Mom and Dad almost chose to not let me say goodbye. It was unsettling for a youngster. GOD BLESS ... 

On 3/10/2024 at 12:49 PM, jimjum12 said:

My Grandfather died from one over 50 years ago. He was basically a skeleton with a diaper in a crib at the end. Mom and Dad almost chose to not let me say goodbye. It was unsettling for a youngster. GOD BLESS ... 

Same thing for my dad's parents.  They didn't have a good ending either.  It's hard to believe they were gone over 50 years ago too.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:16 AM, Darwination said:

I'm afraid we're likely to derail our thread topic here but why not :D

The Damned have been an absolute revelation to me as of late.  Album after album of varied and amazing material - I've been listening for weeks and weeks over and over to a number of their albums. :x

Was listening to the Cro-Mags just this week!  I'll be honest and say a lot of the NYHC and hardcore in general doesn't appeal to me anymore (even if I was all in as a teen), but the the metal side still does.  I grew up in Lawrence, KS, and attended likely hundreds of shows starting in junior high at The Outhouse, a legendary venue in a cornfield outside of town.  Shows were all ages, averaged 5 bucks or less (on a local bill at least), no straight adults (or cops) in sight. Saw 'famous' acts there like Bad Brains, Rollins, Descendents, Fugazi, Tool, Green Day and lots of other bands of equal quality that never quite achieved fame.  Nirvana did play there for Bleach, but I didn't go to that one (and didn't like them til later, a pal played Bleach so much I wanted break it).  I suppose everybody has a particular fondness for their teen era, but boy am I happy I came up in the day of the all ages show.  Outside of a brawl or few, we took pretty good care of each other no matter how wild things got.  Never did play The Outhouse but was inspired to pick up a guitar and join a band in the early years (played venues a bit in Lawrence/KC then more later on in Athens, GA though I'd moved on to jazz by then.)  I still make music, but mostly in my own den. I like to share this one from a while back when I was messing with computers, as it relates to scannerly activities.

Bass is the new thing for me. You'd think it wouldn't be so different from the guitar (my main instrument, piano being the second), but it is. My axes! (those girlie weights must belong to someone else)

20240309_084349.thumb.jpg.de1d526ff4b5d999c26ebbafaea1ab91.jpg

Somehow I have the feeling that my two guitars pale in comparison to the number of guitars that someone like Lowell might acquire :whistle:

Oh, my, I want this.  There's a bunch of Harlan books I'd like.  It's funny how Ellison has ties to the paperback scene with all the rockabilly/punkers showing high interest.  I sold Miriam Linna a prized juvenile delinquent pocket magazine once for a pittance just because she was so endearing in her request (even though I didn't realize who she was at the time).  I later found another copy :D

Teen-Age Gangsters (1957.Hillman) cover (Darwination Edit)

https://archive.org/details/teen-age-gangsters-1957.-hillman-darwin-ia

Speaking of old rockers, I get a huge kick out Mick ****Sedge over at Flickr sharing tour stuff mixed in with paperback/comics materials on his stream there.  No way would I ever want to go on the road these days, and I'm *much* younger than you dinosaurs.

A long self-indulgent post, I apologize.  Can't think of any music pbs I have but lord help me if we get into my music mags. OK, I'll share just one blog post from last year

https://darwinscans.blogspot.com/2023/03/rip-v01n01-december-1986.html

On the subject of punk rock mags (which have been a buy/scan target as of late, ridiculously expensive for modern magazines, we must be hitting that age of peak nostalgia) this site has some great shares including a full run of Slash, an L.A. magazine I've been digging around in:

https://www.circulationzero.com/

I was out of the house most of the day yesterday so didn't have a chance to respond to this. An epic post and no derailing done. I do have to say, the more cards that boardies reveal about their life away from collectibles, the more I like just about every one of y'all. And yeah I do have more than two guitars :whistle:  but just having one makes you cool in my book :)

On 3/8/2024 at 8:04 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Friday Fun today is this reader copy that I got for the reading as well as the collectability. 

Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliott Chaze.  Gold Medal No. 296   Cover artist unknown.

I got lucky with this as a beater can run you $100 easily.

It's a really tough book in any condition... and tough in the tough noir sense as well, on many "best noir" lists. I picked it up this afternoon and blazed through half of it already and it lives up to its reputation so far.

20240305_140105.thumb.jpg.ab37dbd0731553fd1e3194cdffb2b87d.jpg

Although it's a rare book, it's one of those that is far rarer in its second edition, "One For The Money"  with the Charles Copeland cover, which I posted the other day

20240308_162650.thumb.jpg.cfcb7b5ac44fd62e6b24215c5c3b1560.jpg

I don't much of an excuse to post that one again :cloud9:

*Update* Blazed through the second half yesterday. "Wow" is the word. Seldom do these noirs sustain such an even pacing throughout. Lots of tough turns of phrasing and memorable truths about life, death and love. All the elements of great plotting are here. The climax (perfectly captured by Copeland on the second paperback edition) is quite memorable and the fall and resolution not the usual throw aways. Highly recommended.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:35 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I was out of the house most of the day yesterday so didn't have a chance to respond to this. An epic post and no derailing done. I do have to say, the more cards that boardies reveal about their life away from collectibles, the more I like just about every one of y'all. And yeah I do have more than two guitars :whistle:  but just having one makes you cool in my book :)

Not good enough, I need an approximate number so I can rate you on the gearhead scale lol

On 3/10/2024 at 3:04 PM, Darwination said:

Not good enough, I need an approximate number so I can rate you on the gearhead scale lol

30-ish (shrug) I thought I had gotten it below that but we recently re-carpeted the house and had to pull everything out of every closet and I had to sheepishly confess it had crept above 30 so been selling a couple off. GAS is a tough habit to kick lol

On 3/10/2024 at 2:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

*Update* Blazed through the second half yesterday. "Wow" is the word. Seldom do these noirs sustain such an even pacing throughout. Lots of tough turns of phrasing and memorable truths about life, death and love. All the elements of great plotting are here. The climax (perfectly captured by Copeland on the second paperback edition) is quite memorable and the fall and resolution not the usual throw aways. Highly recommended.

Next up in the Audible cue:

IMG_1067.thumb.jpeg.c064bc777928715dba2645be771ec0f5.jpeg

On 3/10/2024 at 3:48 PM, Darwination said:

:roflmao:

I've met worse.  I hate to rib a gearhead, but I'd have lost the over/under I had in my head (even knowing that you got that collector jones).

There are worse things in this world to spend money on than books and guitars :yeehaw: 

gas-gear-acquisition-syndrome-equipmentsucht.jpg.90047832d3cce383b4b6001febebb688.jpg

lol Problem is, gear takes up a lot of space. We're comfortable right now but not rich, have a fair sized house but guitars are like wimmen, they have things attached to them lol Like 20 medium to large amplifiers, boxes of pedals, cables, footswitches and every other imaginable appendage. The Lady of the house is an elementary school teacher and, unless you know the breed, you'd be amazed at the footprint of 20 odd years of teaching gear :facepalm:

On 3/10/2024 at 10:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

Want some whiskey in your water?
Sugar in your tea?
What's all these crazy questions you're askin' me?
This is the craziest party that could ever be
Don't turn on the lights 'cause I don't wanna see

Mama told me not to come
Mama told me not to come
"That ain't the way to have fun, no" (uh-uh!)

Open up your window, let some air into this room
I think I'm almost chokin' from the smell of stale perfume
And that cigarette you're smokin' 'bout scare me half to death
Open up the window, sucker, let me catch my breath

Mama told me not to come
Mama told me not to come
"That ain't the way to have fun, son"
"That ain't the way to have fun, son" she said

The radio is blastin', someone's knockin' at the door
I'm lookin' at my girlfriend, she's passed out on the floor
I seen so many things I ain't never seen before
I don't know what it is, I don't wanna see no more

Mama told me not to come
Mama told me not to come
She said, "That ain't the way to have fun, son"
"That ain't the way to have fun, no"

Mama told me, mama told me
Mama told me, told me, told me
Mama told me, told me, ooh, yeah, yeah
Mama told me not to go
Mama told me, mama told me
Ain't that the truth

GOD BLESS ... 

JkDBbTq.jpg

Big book, James!  I have a copy of this signed by Ackerman, Wood, and Bonfils.  Very cool!  :headbang:

On 3/10/2024 at 7:47 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Big book, James!  I have a copy of this signed by Ackerman, Wood, and Bonfils.  Very cool!  :headbang:

I wouldn't mind pics of that ... did it happen somewhere like Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Con? GOD BLESS ...

On 3/10/2024 at 6:54 PM, jimjum12 said:

I wouldn't mind pics of that ... did it happen somewhere like Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Con? GOD BLESS ...

I'll find it and take a couple pics.  I purchased it with those signatures and didn't get any information on where they were acquired, unfortunately.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:14 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'll find it and take a couple pics.  I purchased it with those signatures and didn't get any information on where they were acquired, unfortunately.

What a cool trifecta of sigs that would be. GOD BLESS ....