• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,373 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 11:45 AM, jimjum12 said:

@OtherEric

Wasn't it you who made me want this digest? Oddly enough, the prices become very reasonable when this title switches from Pulp to Digest :whistle: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

m2x56cY.jpg

Yes, I was the one you grabbed your avatar from when I first posted that.  I was actually planning to sell the book during the fund raiser sale for you, hyping it as being the very copy your avatar came from.  But I couldn't find the box it was in, I finally located it last week.

I actually have two copies now, I had gone as far as getting a replacement assuming I was going to sell "your" copy.

On 3/22/2024 at 1:53 PM, jimjum12 said:

Last post for a while, I promise. As some of you know, I'm a rabid HP Lovecraft fan and admirer of quality editions. Not on the level of Red Fury or anything, but if I ever win the lotto, one of the first things I'll do for sheer fun is The Outsider And Others :cloud9: Anyhow, anyone who collects Lovecraft will notice how often a cover artist misses the boat. This book is an exception and features one of my top 5 Lovecrafts and just nails it on the cover. To make a long story short, if anyone has an unread flawless copy, I would trade mine, which isn't bad, plus at least $50. I know it's a longshot. GOD BLESS ...

R421LZl.jpg

Ly437h9.jpg

I love the cross of HPL with the schizo psychedelic colors.

Makes me wonder if the graphics might have influenced the look of this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Out_of_Space_(film)

On 3/22/2024 at 4:33 PM, OtherEric said:

This is still my favorite HPL cover, for better or worse.  What could be more awesome than mythos monsters who are also librarians?

Astounding_1936_06.thumb.jpg.168c0504bef47e0e0e1abbcbca8062a4.jpg

This may very well be my favorite HPL cover, and the story is also top shelf. It's well desreving of the premiums it commands. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/22/2024 at 7:34 PM, The-Collector said:

Lovely. I particularly like books where the PB is the true 1st edition. 

There are more of them than I expected. Many Adult novels, for example, never made it to hardcover. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/23/2024 at 9:54 PM, moonpool said:

Generally my paperback collection doesn't extend past the 1950's.  But this was to nice and cheap to pass up.

IMG_1723.jpg

Botchilism peril? That's a new one! Beware 0008!