• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,242 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 10:35 PM, Darwination said:

Why I always give my copy to fam or friends after I really like a book I don't know cuz they almost never make their way back :roflmao:

For quite a while I would buy copies of Good Omens when I saw them in half price shops to give to people because I knew they wouldn't find their way home.  It's become well known enough by this point that I don't really need to bother any more, but for years it was one of those books I loved people hadn't heard of.

Also, there is no way in hell I'm ever loaning out my 1st edition US Hardcover signed by both Gaiman and Pratchett.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:35 AM, Darwination said:

New one, I forget which one of you hooligans inspired me to buy it. A nice mix of presentation/affordability cuz I bought it to read.  Fletcher Flora is a recent fascination, and I'm not sure if I like him yet or if I just think he's a twisted .  Looking for a little biography, I've just learned he's a fellow Jayhawk, wild.  Also a fellow Jayhawk, another excellent writer of noir, Daniel Woodrell.

MostLikelytoLove-FletcherFlora(1964.Monarch426)coverRafaelDeSoto.thumb.jpg.961ce4b0b4468b2934be3176bf6ba93f.jpg

I gave my copy of Give us a Kiss to my little bro, my favorite but likely not his best, (paperback) by Daniel Woodrell but am gonna take this opportunity to pick up the HC while I'm thinking about it.  Why I always give my copy to fam or friends after I really like a book I don't know cuz they almost never make their way back :roflmao:I do have this one at hand tho - I kind of like the design, lots of reds and the state of Misery in the back ground.

TomatoRedcover.thumb.jpg.7effdd1afd4456685db089b8b7f0be2f.jpg

A real nice DeSoto cover goes a long way. I've only read one Flora novel, "Park Avenue Tramp" which was a somewhat depressingly fatalistic noir about a rich control freak's alcoholic wife and the shot at actual love she discovers on one of her benders. It's noir so of course,  there's no polyanna ending, even though Flora makes you hope for it. I'd read another.

I paid WAY too much for my copy of I, Robot. I was enamored by it ever since Lowell put one up for sale and it was instantly gobbled up. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, jimjum12 said:

I paid WAY too much for my copy of I, Robot. I was enamored by it ever since Lowell put one up for sale and it was instantly gobbled up. GOD BLESS ...

I think I got a good deal on this one, dunno for sure though. It is unread but there are a few spots of shelf wear. I am never around when Lowell has a sales thread, so I use his threads for inspiration:cloud9:

Edited by johnenock

On 3/21/2024 at 5:12 PM, johnenock said:

I think I got a good deal on this one, dunno for sure though. It is unread but there are a few spots of shelf wear.

My hunch is that you won’t regret it. Take it from the rookie!

On 3/21/2024 at 5:12 PM, johnenock said:

I think I got a good deal on this one, dunno for sure though. It is unread but there are a few spots of shelf wear.

The first one I bought was probably close to 4x what it could've been, but it is VERY nice. PB's aren't like overpaying on a comic, which can be a month's pay or more. I actually got another one, even a little nicer, for less than 200. I figured they'd average out one day... and I do love it. I've only paid strong money for a handful of them in my life, and only after sleeping on it. PB's are so much more "low pressure". Some of them still can be "once in a lifetime" books. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/21/2024 at 5:23 PM, jimjum12 said:

The first one I bought was probably close to 4x what it could've been, but it is VERY nice. PB's aren't like overpaying on a comic, which can be a month's pay or more. I actually got another one, even a little nicer, for less than 200. I figured they'd average out one day... and I do love it. I've only paid strong money for a handful of them in my life, and only after sleeping on it. PB's are so much more "low pressure". Some of them still can be "once in a lifetime" books. GOD BLESS ...

This is good advice and I agree. Timely too, as I’m still lurking around your current sales thread. Some nice books there!

On 3/21/2024 at 5:26 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

This is good advice and I agree. Timely too, as I’m still lurking around your current sales thread. Some nice books there!

I almost always pull up eBay or www.abebooks.com to compare prices before I pull the trigger on a transaction. It sometimes saves me a ton. I'm picky and don't mind paying an extra 10 or 20, but none of us are made out of money. PBs still remind me of the old days of comics, when stuff didn't leave me with the anxiety of buyer's remorse. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

On 3/21/2024 at 5:33 PM, jimjum12 said:

I almost always pull up eBay or www.abebooks.com to compare prices before I pull the trigger on a transaction. It sometimes saves me a ton. I'm picky and don't mind paying an extra 10 or 20, but none of us are made out of money. PBs still remind me of the old days of comics, when stuff didn't leave me with the anxiety of buyer's remorse. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I try to do the same. Hey, wait a minute, are you getting the sense that I’m overpaying?? 

On 3/21/2024 at 5:56 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I try to do the same. Hey, wait a minute, are you getting the sense that I’m overpaying?? 

That's what I do :bigsmile: On the other hand, I've had books sell from underneath me while I "slept on it". I'm always frugal, but sometimes I've snoozed and losed. GOD BLESS ...