• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,401 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2024 at 4:27 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Walter Popp

Robert O. Saber is Milton K. Ozaki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_K._Ozaki

Ozaki was born in Racine, Wisconsin to a Japanese father (Jingaro Ozaki, who later changed his name to Frank) and an American mother, Augusta Rathbun. He lost a leg as a young child.[1] In addition to his work as a writer and journalist, he operated a beauty parlor (the Monsieur Meltoine beauty salon, in the Gold Coast section of Chicago). Ozaki and his wife Dolores B. Ozaki lived at 6314 Fifth Avenue in Kenosha, Wisconsin. In the 1970s, he operated phony mail-order colleges, including the Colorado State Christian College[2] and Hamilton State University,[3] and he was also involved in a company marketing a device fraudulently claimed to increase gas mileage.

Lots of novels, a little work in the detective pulps/crime digests.

On 4/1/2024 at 6:31 PM, Randall Dowling said:

He's referring to the cover artist, yes?  And you're correct, of course, about Ozaki's pseudonym.  (thumbsu

Yes, Walter Popp painted the cover.  Saber/Ozaki is very good, @Pat Calhoun has been posting his work since day one on here.  Ozaki wrote what I'd call light-hearted noir, as he injected a sense of humor into most of what I've read rather than go full darkness.

On 4/2/2024 at 12:43 AM, Darwination said:

I ordered a copy of A Time for Murder because I liked it so much.  John's got killer taste (like many on this thread)

Kicking myself for a weak swing on another pb this eve.  Funny thing about collecting is you regret the misses more than the overpays :headpat:

Since this seems to be the place for bookshelf shots, I'll indulge :yeehaw:  I had to pull down display books from one side of my office because I have to get at a bunch of reference stuffs at the moment, but the other side is re-organized. I filled a whole box with what I took down, they were stacked quadruple deep, geez. 

Some of these mags seem to get permanent space.  Happy new additions are Mystic Magazine v01n01 and Your Future on a similar theme.  Sometimes I put books up that are on the way out, so I can admire them until they're sent to a new home :facepalm: 

Hard to take a good pic with lighting and glare issues -

20240401_233341.thumb.jpg.cf4cd17f058e2e15c54ade244e933c33.jpg

That "Crime" is conspicuously cool (thumbsu

On 4/2/2024 at 6:23 AM, Surfing Alien said:

That "Crime" is conspicuously cool (thumbsu

I like the Crime and the Gayety. Nice. I don't own enough PB's to do a group shot yet, but given the rate I'm buying, it should only be a couple more days:facepalm:

Edited by johnenock

Looks like the comic is in nice shape and blazing red.  I consider it Famous Gangsters 04, but I may be the only one (happened to look at it just the other day).  There's a Harry Lazarus story in there, an underappreciated goldenager.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:27 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Roll your own :peace:

Anybody have the January issue of Crime?

Crime1953-01coverHowellDodd.jpg.3e79926c901af075abe55df8acfc380e.jpg

I'm pretty sure the volume numbering lines up with Line-Up Detective, and the titles just alternated months (not 100% sure, though).  Numbering works out that way for this one:

Line-Up Detective 1953-06 cover Howell Dodd (Darwin Edit)

Sadly, the third and apparently final issue of CRIME has a photo cover :/

Crime1953-05cover.jpg.ae36064bf8a63f4c050b6b15b8ddf15e.jpg

I'd still pick her it up if I saw the issue, though :D

Talk about a hard magazine to find in searches, though, GEEZ

Edited by Darwination

On 4/3/2024 at 12:45 PM, Darwination said:

Anybody have the January issue of Crime?

Crime1953-01coverHowellDodd.jpg.3e79926c901af075abe55df8acfc380e.jpg

I'm pretty sure the volume numbering lines up with Line-Up Detective, and the titles just alternated months (not 100% sure, though).  Numbering works out that way for this one:

Line-Up Detective 1953-06 cover Howell Dodd (Darwin Edit)

Sadly, the third and apparently final issue of CRIME has a photo cover :/

Crime1953-05cover.jpg.ae36064bf8a63f4c050b6b15b8ddf15e.jpg

I'd still pick her it up if I saw the issue, though :D

Talk about a hard magazine to find in searches, though, GEEZ

Trying to find issues of “West” with the Zorro stories can be a pain as well.  Some names were just never designed with internet searches in mind.