• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

You’re bringing the cool stuff once again! I think that Chinatown one’s pretty cool because of the webbing and the hand.  I’m a huge fan of Schomburg but compared to Belarski his work isn’t photorealistic enough.  I really love the Popular Libraries in grade!

53 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

You’re bringing the cool stuff once again! I think that Chinatown one’s pretty cool because of the webbing and the hand.  I’m a huge fan of Schomburg but compared to Belarski his work isn’t photorealistic enough.  I really love the Popular Libraries in grade!

The Schomburg Quiz Book is definitely more comic book wholesome but is mostly notable because of its rarity, especially in any kind of nice grade. It wasn't a bestseller in any sense compared to the fiction titles and most copies are scribbled in, in addition to being beat up.

59 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Here’s one I hunted down last night.  It fits the theme. Thought I’d seen all of Bergey’s Popular Library covers but saw this. It’s kind of scarce.  Best I could find, but not much of a premium over the others out there.  Seller photo. Love the headlights!  Like Norman Rockwell meets Frazetta  

C7026C3B-B955-44A7-A3A4-9547167CD5B3.png

Yeah I like that one too, I know I have a nice copy in my boxes somewhere. Her Life to Live that I posted above is Bergey as well.

Edited by Surfing Alien

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Some, yes.  I'm not sure on the Weird Tales... I think they generally covered just enough to get away with it.  But I really don't know.

A few more Weird Tales covers you might like, these are all by Brundage:

Weird_Tales_1933_07.jpg

Weird_Tales_1937_01.jpg

Weird_Tales_1935_11.jpg

Weird_Tales_1936_07.jpg

Weird_Tales_1937_11.jpg

I have most of my pulps with HA they are auctioning some of the Weird Tales the end of the month in their Signature Auction.  It was time to part with them but I will miss them.

Enjoy yours like I did.

Hey, I have a picture request.  I'm looking for covers "dripping with science fiction" from the early 50's.  I'm talking robots, flying saucers, space aliens, etc.  Especially from the early 1950's as that particular time period seemed preoccupied with sci-fi.  Help me figure out what to hunt down.