• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Sweet bunch of books Damonwad! I have some of the Thompson Lions but not that one. They're tough to put together these days with what they go for in nice shape. A big regret was selling a very nice copy of Killer Inside Me and a pristine copy of Sins of the Fathers, which is probably the rarest of all Thompson books, even though it's not a 1st Ed. I'll likely never get them in that condition again unless a fortuitous circumstance comes around because I just have a mental block paying many hundreds of dollars for books that used to go for $50 - $100 :( I know... I need to get over the past (and my inner cheapskate :roflmao:) I've posted my copy of Farm Girl, she's a honey :)

I don't think I've seen a copy of Sins of the Fathers but Killer Inside Me is high on my want list. Those would be painful to replace.

I have the same mental block with some comics, My inner cheapskate almost always wins out.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

This one has everything - a tough Lionel White movie tie-in Signet with a wild Maguire bondage cover that is unfaded and pretty sharp.

20200827_145208.thumb.jpg.5ca42dfbfb2a02ad1eb81ac75d0b62ea.jpg

Love it. I had to pry my eye's away from Maguire's art to notice the book was the basis of the cool Kubrick/Hayden film.

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

glad to hear Gardner is being enjoyed - the Perry Mason books are glorious reads - fast-moving and full of GA charm. His other two series: the DA books and (under pseudo) the Lam-&-Cool books offer the same top-notch entertainment

im829.jpg

Looking forward to getting into some of the other Gardner's too. You seem to know what you're talking about. lol

44 minutes ago, damonwad said:

I don't think I've seen a copy of Sins of the Fathers but Killer Inside Me is high on my want list. Those would be painful to replace.

I have the same mental block with some comics, My inner cheapskate almost always wins out.

Here's the only half decent uncreased scan i've seen available on the whole interwebs (possibly my old copy :() It's Canadian actually - Studio Pocket #4 from 1952.

It originally was published in Hardcover as "Heed the Thunder" in 1946 and It's not even the 1st paperback edition - that would be the (also Canadian)  Newstand Library edition of "Heed the Thunder" from 1949. Both the hardcover and the Newstand Library edition show up in nice shape far more often than the Studio Pocket edition.

studio04.jpg.6d2ca091dbb2b89745bbc5ac3835bdf1.jpg

Gardner is awesome.  I've read half a dozen of his books and I've always found them extremely fast reads, like watching a fun movie.

Also, I'm absolutely loving the amount of action in this thread over the last week.  Fun stuff, all around!! (thumbsu

In other news, here's a bit of fun that I got in today!

IMG_5224.jpg

1 hour ago, damonwad said:

Does anyone know how to tell the first printings of the early Avon's? 

Do they need to have the Globe endpapers?  Do they also need a certain number of available Avon titles listed on back (this copy has 16)?

1706541427_MurderatMidnight(front).thumb.JPG.811fd0f0c73e620f1f7718bdc128cf04.JPG940390623_MurderatMidnight(Globeendpapers).thumb.jpg.dbc718f63a8f394f90728335bdf571c3.jpg

Nice book. Globe end papers mean 1st printing every time, off the top of my head  I'm not sure at which "no number" they ended the globe endpapers. The no numbers go up to number 40 I think and I'm pretty sure the later ones did not have globe end papers. For those you can only tell 1st print by being roughly near the number of the book in hand. They released a couple at a time so it will only be the exact number for certain ones.

23 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Nice book. Globe end papers mean 1st printing every time, off the top of my head  I'm not sure at which "no number" they ended the globe endpapers. The no numbers go up to number 40 I think and I'm pretty sure the later ones did not have globe end papers. For those you can only tell 1st print by being roughly near the number of the book in hand. They released a couple at a time so it will only be the exact number for certain ones.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

One step closer to not feeling like such a newb.