• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I really do need to track down the two Bart House Lovecraft paperbacks one of these years.  I had never noticed that swipe before, even though I have both books!

I have the Dunwich Horror but not the Weird Shadow. I like the Dunwich Horror cover much more so went after it early... The two Bart Houses and this Avon are the only 3 with pictorial covers. The 4th early Lovecraft is the Armed Services Edition, which brings big dollars but I love covers. It does not do anything for me.

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

And this incredibly awesome resource by Gary Lovisi!  Paging through it feels a bit like it did when I was a kid and paging through the 8th Overstreet and looking at the color section of books!  I'll spend a bit more time with it but initially I was excited to see how many of the books I already have.  Turns out- not many!!  A lot of cool examples to page through.  Thanks to Gary for putting this together!

IMG_5192.thumb.jpg.69691450415317e71e31d9129f3deab5.jpg

I have thousands of paperbacks and was also surprised at how few of those pictured I actually had in my collection. I guess it just goes to show you how many different directions one can go regarding paperback collecting.  (thumbsu

p.s.  Regarding the books featured in the early Overstreet color sections, I at least have more paperbacks pictured in the Lovisi book than those early Overstreet sections! The early editions have nothing but killer books pictured. Take for example Overstreet 6, the first with a color section: the first four books pictured are Action 1, Adventure 61 (1st Starman), All-American 16, and All-Star 4. Then there's Batman 1, Cap 1, Detective 27, Human Torch 1, Police 1, Superman 1, and so on. In those early sections, the only lower dollar books that would creep in were by artists like Walt Kelly or lesser Frazetta covers. It wasn't until silver age started appearing in droves that I could actually glance over those color sections and see books that I owned - or could hope to own! 

Edited by PopKulture

Received one book today, and should have a few more in shortly. Pat C. had mentioned this book to me probably about 4 or 5 years ago. It's a shame that Merritt died so young (59), he would have added a quite a few more epic stories and novels I'm sure.

scan0322.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

33 minutes ago, damonwad said:

lol I can tell. That series has lots of great books.

And they're delightfully thick with gaudily colored spines!  And you get 2 covers with artwork.  Sometimes only one has great cover art, sometime neither.  But you still get 2.  :preach: