• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,401 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2024 at 3:25 PM, OtherEric said:

Trying to find issues of “West” with the Zorro stories can be a pain as well.  Some names were just never designed with internet searches in mind.

Exactly.  In order to catch copies in the wild, you have to sift through the phone book on a regular basis.  Which I'm prepared to do, if necessary.  :sumo:

You jackals just stay the f**k away from my books, dammit. :shiftyeyes:

I lost what I thought was an under the radar book recently and realized I'd bid five times more given a second chance almost immediately after it slipped away...

On 4/3/2024 at 3:25 PM, OtherEric said:

Trying to find issues of “West” with the Zorro stories can be a pain as well.  Some names were just never designed with internet searches in mind.

Also, if you think it's bad how many results you get from general names like West and Crime, you should see what I have to sift through when I'm looking for back issues of "All Man" magazine.  Takes a little getting used to.  :preach:

AllMan_May1964_Front.thumb.jpg.4074174741eaa9de8590c34a9e1baff0.jpg

(This is an example of what I'm looking for, but a man has to look at a lot of other man material to find it).

On 4/3/2024 at 6:09 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Also, if you think it's bad how many results you get from general names like West and Crime, you should see what I have to sift through when I'm looking for back issues of "All Man" magazine.  Takes a little getting used to.  :preach:

AllMan_May1964_Front.thumb.jpg.4074174741eaa9de8590c34a9e1baff0.jpg

(This is an example of what I'm looking for, but a man has to look at a lot of other man material to find it).

I respect your game Douglas, because you, Sir, are not afraid to "Mannup" :insane:

Painter's tarp and a selfie stick to the ceiling?  I hope you don't own a selfie stick :baiting:

I have a hard time taking eBay photos of even small lots.

I always chuckle at the guys that lay out books on their cars or driveways for eBay.  Bro, you really want to sell me those books you just covered in the schmooze from your garage floor? :whistle:

On 4/3/2024 at 11:09 PM, Darwination said:

Painter's tarp and a selfie stick to the ceiling?  I hope you don't own a selfie stick :baiting:

I have a hard time taking eBay photos of even small lots.

I always chuckle at the guys that lay out books on their cars or driveways for eBay.  Bro, you really want to sell me those books you just covered in the schmooze from your garage floor? :whistle:

I don't own a selfie stick.

I'm leaning towards something like this, and then an actual group shot of the spines:

01.jpg

Only, of course, there will be about nine images like that...

Edited by OtherEric

Best title "The Gold Plated Sewer"

Best cover "The Corpse Came Calling" - very surprised this one's by the same artist (Robert Schulz) who did James Cain's The Butterfly for Signet, another one I put on the hunt list.

On 4/4/2024 at 5:34 PM, Surfing Alien said:

My oldest paperback is from August 1939. The first print of Pocket Books No. 11, The Good Earth (which is listed inside as the "second printing"  however the "first printing" was the uber rare promotional nn in 1938. There was no "first printing" of No. 11)  I've had one or two first printings of the rare first 10 Pockets but they were such beaters, I sold them.

I foolishly passed on a nice copy of Pocket No. 1  First Printing back when I started collecting again, around 2017, because I was not used to spending 3 figures on a pb yet :(

20240404_171515.thumb.jpg.7ac42791085f7161dbb3704771150454.jpg

20240404_171534.thumb.jpg.0cd3254f865ab24f49b5153dd94d51a4.jpg

20240404_171634.thumb.jpg.5eb8cfafe6badebab34191c2da4441a3.jpg

I think out of those first ten Pockets, Topper would be the one I'd like to have.

On 4/4/2024 at 7:08 PM, Darwination said:

I think out of those first ten Pockets, Topper would be the one I'd like to have.

On the list for sure but not a great cover. I'll take Lost Horizon, Wuthering Heights, Topper, Bambi and Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Not necessarily in that order but definitely Lost Horizon first :cloud9: The other five books beside these I'd take but mostly if they fell in my lap.

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 4/4/2024 at 6:36 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here's one of those PBs that is a true first edition that precedes the hardback. It's a classic example of Feminist S.F. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

cdn2teH.jpg

Glad to see you got what you wanted Jimbo :headbang: