• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,158 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 3:03 PM, Darwination said:

Naked bodies have been part of art high and low since the cavemen (shrug)

I've been posting semi-naked girls in the girlie pulp thread or even some more transgressive stuffs in the underground thread.  It's part of what we collect, and I truly doubt any minors are wandering around here, and, if they are, I'm sure nothing we post even registers on the shocking scale given the depredations of the modern internet.  If I get a warning, I may moderate, but we seem do to do fine...

I'm happy to look at whatevs and am pretty sure Bilbrew wanders into some of the magazine areas I collect in like in this 50s girlie mag:

21 n04 (1956.Monogram) cover (McCoy Edit)

21 n04 1956 page 005 Flagellation Art

but I really wouldn't have the first clue in being able to distinguish him from imitators.

Nice copy of Black Opium there, Jim!

Thank you, figured that one would be on the permanent wish list. 

The boards, at least at one time, were restricted for membership to18 YO and up .... anonymous lurking is still unrestricted. GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I once had a Frazetta pen and ink scan (The Giantess) from an issue of Gallery removed for nudity, but the thread itself was drifting towards the off color. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 5/11/2024 at 3:48 PM, Darwination said:

Lol, Jim, you did manage to get some cheesecake in the post, though :facepalm::roflmao:

Is that Lucy?  I came across this one not too long ago

lucille-ball-in-roman-scandals-1933--dir

That is, absolutely, Lucy ... quite the hottie in her day. GOD BLESS ...

Posted (edited)

Hotel Wife - Ruth Lyons (1949.Lev Gleason Library 101) cover

HotelWife-RuthLyons(1949.LevGleasonLibrary101)cover.thumb.jpg.3057ab6fb68fa23e3a489fcd4c88eafe.jpg

The first entry in the very small Lev Gleason Library from 1949.  I picked it up as the price was right, and it was mentioned a couple of times in American Daredevil, a recent and most interesting read on golden age publisher Lev Gleason  (Daredevil, Crime Does Not Pay, Friday, Picture Scoop, Reader's Scope).  Apparently the book sold well at the time, but I can find little about it except that the hardcover was published in 1933 and banned in Australia.  I looked up the other six books in the series - they look O.K.. but nothing really jumped out at me, and the most interesting was a reprint of Marjorie Hillis' Live Alone and Like it.  A pity, as the format is very cool, 132 pages and squarebound with glue, a little skinnier than most digests and with a very thick and very glossy cover.  The back cover doesn't help matters - this is not how you sell a paperback:

HotelWife-RuthLyons(1949.LevGleasonLibrary101)rearcover.thumb.jpg.7405662093f806816da73b67c125a381.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 5/10/2024 at 4:28 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some Friday Fun...

Best Detective Selection No.7 "The Corpse Hangs High" by Edward Ronns (Aarons)  1943  Cover art by George Dunsford Klein   

A beautiful early Atlas forerunner. I'm bearing down on picking up the early 40's books lately. They have such a great Golden Age feel to them, and who doesn't love a hanging corpse on a flagpole cover?

20240510_141422.thumb.jpg.325e9e67af7fb29dc9ebc10d4fc117ad.jpg

I would like to see how they got him out there.

On 5/11/2024 at 11:30 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Here's a odd-ball:

Prelude to Space has a double cover. The outer cover is loose the inner cover is bound/glued to the book like normal.

prelude to space a.JPG

prelude to space b.JPG

Somebody had a Jack Daniels sandwich for lunch at the Printers'. GOD BLESS ... 

On 5/12/2024 at 7:28 AM, jimjum12 said:

Somebody had a Jack Daniels sandwich for lunch at the Printers'. GOD BLESS ... 

Probably not as common to find as with comics since the extra cover wasn't stapled to the book like with a comic book. These extra covers probably fell away and were discarded.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 5:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'll chime in on this.  Yes, we did change the minimum age from 16 to 18 years old.  Here is what is written in the terms of use regarding nudity.  Before posting this, I will share my view.  Full frontal nudity may be going too far.  If it is done in a tasteful manner, or is at a distance and really doesn't reveal all, it will probably pass.  

Nude images: Given that this is a comic book collecting forum, some leeway for actual comic imagery is provided, more so than non-comic related imagery. Some nudity is allowed when it is comic related and done in a tasteful manner. However, there are many comics that are quite explicit and aren't allowed to be posted here.

I'm new to these forums, so I realize my opinion doesn't cary much weight.

I guess I just want to pose the question, is nudity so much more offensive than even violence?

I've seen comic and book covers on these forums depicting every possible kind of violence. Domestic violence. Decapitation. Torture. Killing of innocents.

No one bats an eye.

But the human body, which we all share, is what should be feared/limited?

It just has never made any sense to me, as this is the normal societal wide stance and nothing at all unique to these forums.

My day job is in fine art, working with painters. I see a lot of censorship when it comes to nudity. For example, Meta's (facebook/IG) official policy is that nudity in a painting or artistic setting is allowed, yet all too often when an artist shares a tasteful nude painting the algorithm may automatically delete their post, and shadowban their account. Which for an artist, is a big blow to their livelihood.

Anyways, now I have a more clear idea of what sort of imagery is and isn't acceptable here, so that's helpful! I think most of the spade classics would be fine, but maybe near the cutoff. There's a difference between nudity and implicitly sexual material, which the spade classic books are 😇

*edit: this isn't necessarily a direct question posed to Mod Mike, but more of just a rhetorical question and me thinking out loud

Edited by Black Cactus

On 5/11/2024 at 9:38 PM, Darwination said:

Hotel Wife - Ruth Lyons (1949.Lev Gleason Library 101) cover

HotelWife-RuthLyons(1949.LevGleasonLibrary101)cover.thumb.jpg.3057ab6fb68fa23e3a489fcd4c88eafe.jpg

The first entry in the very small Lev Gleason Library from 1949.  I picked it up as the price was right, and it was mentioned a couple of times in American Daredevil, a recent and most interesting read on golden age publisher Lev Gleason  (Daredevil, Crime Does Not Pay, Friday, Picture Scoop, Reader's Scope).  Apparently the book sold well at the time, but I can find little about it except that the hardcover was published in 1933 and banned in Australia.  I looked up the other six books in the series - they look O.K.. but nothing really jumped out at me, and the most interesting was a reprint of Marjorie Hillis' Live Alone and Like it.  A pity, as the format is very cool, 132 pages and squarebound with glue, a little skinnier than most digests and with a very thick and very glossy cover.  The back cover doesn't help matters - this is not how you sell a paperback:

HotelWife-RuthLyons(1949.LevGleasonLibrary101)rearcover.thumb.jpg.7405662093f806816da73b67c125a381.jpg

"Lev Gleason Library"? You learn something new every day...