• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,112 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2024 at 9:10 AM, Darwination said:

I'm passing on this one but thought I'd share because of the PB crossover.  Rough shape (if that cover's not detached it will be), but first use of a classic Belarski posted a couple pages back for those of you that collect the pairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196357860479

s-l1600.jpg

I never even knew. Thanks for the info.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:10 AM, Darwination said:

I'm passing on this one but thought I'd share because of the PB crossover.  Rough shape (if that cover's not detached it will be), but first use of a classic Belarski posted a couple pages back for those of you that collect the pairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196357860479

s-l1600.jpg

Every copy of the pulp I've seen has paled in comparison to the sharpness and brightness of the PB printing process. I love the pulp, and have a few,  but they're limp compared to the PB lol :devil:

Posted (edited)

I absolutely agree, but I don't think I've seen any good copies of the pulp, either. (calling @detective35 :foryou:)

I see it go both ways on pulp/magazine/digest versus paperback reprint superiority depending on the publisher(s) involved.

I did some Belarski tracking in the pulps recently after admiring his pb covers, dude got around!

Edited by Darwination

On 5/1/2024 at 10:59 PM, Darwination said:

I absolutely agree, but I don't think I've seen any good copies of the pulp, either. (calling @detective35 :foryou:)

I see it go both ways on pulp/magazine/digest reprint superiority depending on the publisher(s) involved.

I did some Belarski tracking in the pulps recently after admiring his pb covers, dude got around!

He was a pulp artist straight up, whose work, whether remunerated or not, got re-used into the 1950's in PB's. Not an artist who broke out in the PB's like Maguire, Johnson, Avati etc.

I've got Gunnison's Belarski art book at home but haven't looked at it in years.  Looking recently at his pb covers has given me a fresh appreciation.

I dunno about renumeration/resale details for him, as that arrangement could vary by author and publisher on who got to keep the painting and if reprint rights were included.  I like the fact that some artists and authors could juice that system and get paid for all the various formats a painting or story/novel/screenplay might appear in.  If you're getting paid in peanuts, make some peanut butter.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:26 PM, Darwination said:

I've got Gunnison's Belarski art book at home but haven't looked at it in years.  Looking recently at his pb covers has given me a fresh appreciation.

I dunno about renumeration/resale details for him, as that arrangement could vary by author and publisher on who got to keep the painting and if reprint rights were included.  I like the fact that some artists and authors could juice that system and get paid for all the various formats a painting or story/novel/screenplay might appear in.  If you're getting paid in peanuts, make some peanut butter.

That was uncommon.

When Frazetta tried to retain artwork and only sell first printing rights, he was met with resistance for a while. This is a major reason why his output at E.C. was so thin. He began keeping art and rights when he became the "hot new" thing, and everyone wanted him. Like the old saying goes, "sometimes you get the meat, sometimes you get the bone." Print media illustrators were *ahem*, predominantly vegetarian... until Neal and the young Turks came along.  GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/2/2024 at 12:11 AM, pmpknface said:

Not sure there's a bag that book can't BUST out of.  :jawdrop:  HELLO!

Aye, mate, I believe her cup doth runneth over. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/24/2024 at 6:01 PM, Darwination said:
On 4/24/2024 at 9:17 AM, johnenock said:

I don't either, but there are quite a few cool ones you posted!

Yeah, there's a few huntlist candidates here for me (getting a lot of Belarskis on there).  The Mesh is the one I keep looking at trying to figure out just what kind of book it is...

I was interested too so I just finished reading my copy of "The Mesh" and it was interesting (to me at least) enough that I kept turning the pages.

It is touted as a lesbian novel but is only somewhat so and it is not anything like the lesbian sleaze novels that are so collected these days. It is much more a "French" novel - of the psychological kind. Not that much action really happens, it is told from the perspective of the daughter of a strong woman who loves her son more than the protagonist daughter, and is mostly observations and descriptions of all the little (and big) hurts they visit upon each other in their home where they live with a few other characters who take sides against each other in the struggle for the mother's love.   There's a very memorable dog, a woman with a bad reputation and various cousins who are woven into the mix as levers of power to be pushed by the three as they battle for psychological supremacy over each other. To say any more would give away spoilers but I liked it.