• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 4:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I sold my later print of this last sale since I finally found a nice copy of the first print. All I can say is that it's the Dickens trying to find the first print of this unforgettable fantasy in nice shape.

Bill Teason's cover art on this captures such a strange creature with eerie detail. It fits the story so well - is she or isn't she a witch? Shapeshifter? You'll have to read it for yourself, sometimes she seems like a very ordinary wise azz child-teen.

I had long discussions with several dealers at the L.A. Vintage paperback about how compelling a little book it is (and how no one at that show had a copy - it was one I was looking for there.)

20240516_121903.thumb.jpg.7679c3d00843f47ae8eac49077c1eaeb.jpg

I have one. Had no idea it was hard to find. I bought if off ABE around 2018...

On 5/16/2024 at 6:06 PM, Sarg said:

I have one. Had no idea it was hard to find. I bought if off ABE around 2018...

M2041 in nice shape has gotten pretty tough. It took me about a year to find a really nice one at a decent price. For some reason, similar to Lancer books, the cover paper gets brittle if not stored well and the corners get stiff bends or chipped off.

On 5/16/2024 at 3:19 PM, Surfing Alien said:

M2041 in nice shape has gotten pretty tough. It took me about a year to find a really nice one at a decent price. For some reason, similar to Lancer books, the cover paper gets brittle if not stored well and the corners get stiff bends or chipped off.

Have this one

We have always lived in the castle.jpg

Posted (edited)

On 5/16/2024 at 6:29 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Have this one

We have always lived in the castle.jpg

You in the club (thumbsu 

I think as Shirley Jackson has risen in the canon of literature, all of her 50's - 70's paperbacks have very quietly, become widely collected, and deservedly so.

To me she's similar to Walter Tevis, a fairly low output but almost universally exceptional and lasting.

20240516_183707.thumb.jpg.db765cad175e83edbbb61c58a0be89bf.jpg

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 5/17/2024 at 1:41 PM, frozentundraguy said:

It's been slow for me on the PB front recently, but I have just added a few recently.

Originally published in 1864 this is the  1956 Ace edition of Journey to the Center of the Earth by Verne.

image.jpeg.5f780ab686ac42cffbd40b51bd6cb3b6.jpeg

Also acquired the first of two similar compilation of short stories edited by Healy and McComas.

image.jpeg.4d47be97f4c3f27f2dbc617980360d58.jpeg

Also spotted this hard boiled Graphic Mystery by Richard Powell. Three of his novels were adapted for film.

image.jpeg.3c3051df87b2bbdf8753f25439c84d43.jpeg

Kudos to Pat for sharing "3 From out There" and it has an avant-garde cover common in the late 50's and 60's.

image.jpeg.1a9ad38101b8936a4e93b9537712ec40.jpeg

Added this book, as I have not read much of John Campbell's work. Island of Space was originally published in 1931 in Amazing Stories Quarterly.

image.jpeg.45d4dabce9d8b913d922df2324923b8f.jpeg

Nice mix. It always feels good to get some new ones in :)

On the Cameos, how much do collectors pay attention to the edition number?  Like the Girl Hungry I posted over in digests was like the first of three editions.  I didn't realize there were three printings at the time (and it's high grade anyways), but I never would have known the reprints follow each other so closely.  I'm not sure the fact ones a reprint would bother be too much if it's in top shape (shrug)

On 5/17/2024 at 11:04 PM, Darwination said:

On the Cameos, how much do collectors pay attention to the edition number?  Like the Girl Hungry I posted over in digests was like the first of three editions.  I didn't realize there were three printings at the time (and it's high grade anyways), but I never would have known the reprints follow each other so closely.  I'm not sure the fact ones a reprint would bother be too much if it's in top shape (shrug)

True High Grade is so rare on all the sexy digests, that they are all sought after in high grade. 1st numbering/printing is a preferred want for me but I'm an old fogey collector who appreciates the Canon - although sometimes 1sts are not available and maybe irrelevant to CGC-cover-only- is- the-Bible-Type cover collectors (shrug)

On 5/18/2024 at 7:37 PM, Darwination said:

Company Woman - Jim Layne (1962.Beacon B490F) cover artist unknown

A different copy than the picture I ordered from, but I ain't sending her back.  Wait, am I collecting sleaze now?! :facepalm:

I think, perhaps, you always have been... :insane: