• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,404 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2024 at 5:27 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 5/19/2024 at 8:38 AM, johnenock said:

I've been looking for a nice copy of "The Lottery" with no luck so far. Looks like I have to add this one to the list.

I thought I saw one on eBay. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've gradually upgraded my copy several times over the years, only to about a 7.5 copy.  It's just a tough book in grade that everybody wants, for good reason. Lion Books had smaller print runs, the story was a big success from the go, then she passed away at a young age -  add a great cover and there you have it.

On 5/23/2024 at 10:55 PM, Darwination said:

Mmkay, so I *almost* pointed this out earlier but wanted to wait until the auction closed in case I'd bee poo poo-ing on somebody's party.  How cool is this??  (at least to us 80s kids)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204793606625

TheThingFromAnotherWorld-JohnW.CampbellJr.(c_1952.Fantasy.CherryTreeBook408)cover.thumb.jpg.4d33744ea7032f9aaa948c05176d850b.jpg

TheThingFromAnotherWorld-JohnW.CampbellJr.(c_1952.Fantasy.CherryTreeBook408)spine.thumb.jpg.a6257c50f98456c4b812460368fa21b2.jpg

TheThingFromAnotherWorld-JohnW.CampbellJr.(c_1952.Fantasy.CherryTreeBook408)rearcover.thumb.jpg.f3911cf96912087c727e790e2a3d755c.jpg

It hammered for less than 300 USD, which is not that high for a decent copy. Someone was happy. I, however, was outbid. GOD BLESS ...

On 5/24/2024 at 8:44 AM, jimjum12 said:

This one does NOT have rednecks in heat, yet I admire it anyway. GOD BLESS ...

PB401.jpg

The fuzzy alien can't stop staring at the footwear fashion of the beatnik :D  Even Memphis hipsters know better than this.

PB401.thumb.jpg.f57b4fd217558751aa92e6cf9f7e830a.jpg.7f788864b6c668d8ef55e45478cbea86.jpg

On 5/24/2024 at 3:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Victor Kalin scored a knockout on this cover to No. 848, maybe trying to outdo Bob Schulz's shiny fabric/bondage cover on No. 842 "The Corpse Came Calling"

20240523_193309.thumb.jpg.1816986bf84a488aad1f1d691ebb81a5.jpg

I get it now, she's been mummified. In gold cloth.  Or something.  I'm like, "that dress can't be THAT hot."  

I'm so distracted by the blonde it's hard to ponder the specifics :shiftyeyes:

The Dell reminds me of the cover of a Dell Margaret Millar I've been looking at by Greg Gates.  All I'm seeing for artist credits on Wisteria Cottage is "artist unknown" but surely it is Gates, too?

s-l1600.webp

Watch out, we might get Lowell started on the lack of respect given to early Dells.  He was peeved some went unclaimed in his last board sale :D

What year/publisher is the Eater of Darkness pb?  The first HC is certainly pricey...

Posted (edited)

Not to distract from peeps sharing their weekly booty, but I came across a peevish bit today. 

I was looking at Manhunts when Jimbo shared one of the neater ones (cover-wise) over on the digests thread trying to figure out how many covers Robert Maguire did.  Which evolved into the usual Darwin down a rabbit hole business landing me here:

http://www.ramaguirecoverart.com/

which reads:

Screenshot(238).thumb.png.490697bc5c4832563a1002a5ef14f4d8.png

Not having much familiarity with the site, I'm thinking this is just your usual peevishness about lack of credit given amongst bloggers for images yada yada, but then I realize this is Maguire's daughter, Lynn.

So I look up these "Connor Brothers"

https://www.1stdibs.com/creators/the-connor-brothers/art/

Are you f'n kiddin' me?  Straight-up jacking paperback covers and slapping a bit of sarcastic text on and calling it art is a thing?  These pieces are selling for more than the originals.  And the critics consider it high art.  No, really.

Say what you want about Lichtenstein, but I have more respect for him than these chumps.

For example, here's a new book I was about to show off, cover by Ed Meese:

DaggerofFlesh-RichardS.Prather(1956.CrestBook142)coverEdMeese.thumb.jpg.b7f4937fcc2421d73b2fabc8eff4df05.jpg

And here's what "The Connor Brothers" have done with it.  Titled thusly (NO CREDIT TO MEESE)

The Connor Brothers

Sharpen my Tongue (Grey) By London Artists The Connor Brothers

Price -

$2,588.48  Frame Included

Sharpen_My_Tongue_Grey_master.jpg

Literally, nothing has been done here outside of a color shift in the background in Photoshop (not to mention killing brush detail from the painting in the outfit and in the hair with the heavy-handed photoshop work in the blacks in the first place and neglecting to do the femme fatale's skin any favors in terms of taking out blemishes).  Add in some very basic font and a pithy statement and viola. That's it. :makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:

I can see why Maguire's daughter is ready to take the ball and go home :facepalm:

EDIT:  Better include the back cover for the Prather as well.  This is how real artists do graphic design:

DaggerofFlesh-RichardS.Prather(CrestBook142)rearcover.thumb.jpg.7d51f393dc18b6a777a90741581348c8.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 5/24/2024 at 6:41 PM, Darwination said:

Not to distract from peeps sharing their weekly booty, but I came across a peevish bit today. 

I was looking at Manhunts when Jimbo shared one of the neater ones (cover-wise) over on the digests thread trying to figure out how many covers Robert Maguire did.  Which evolved into the usual Darwin down a rabbit hole business landing me here:

http://www.ramaguirecoverart.com/

which reads:

Screenshot(238).thumb.png.490697bc5c4832563a1002a5ef14f4d8.png

Not having much familiarity with the site, I'm thinking this is just your usual peevishness about lack of credit given amongst bloggers for images yada yada, but then I realize this is Maguire's daughter, Lynn.

So I look up these "Connor Brothers"

https://www.1stdibs.com/creators/the-connor-brothers/art/

Are you f'n kiddin' me?  Straight-up jacking paperback covers and slapping a bit of sarcastic text on and calling it art is a thing?  These pieces are selling for more than the originals.  And the critics consider it high art.  No, really.

Say what you want about Lichtenstein, but I have more respect for him than these chumps.

For example, here's a new book I was about to show off, cover by Ed Meese:

DaggerofFlesh-RichardS.Prather(1956.CrestBook142)coverEdMeese.thumb.jpg.b7f4937fcc2421d73b2fabc8eff4df05.jpg

And here's what "The Connor Brothers" have done with it.  Titled thusly (NO CREDIT TO MEESE)

The Connor Brothers

Sharpen my Tongue (Grey) By London Artists The Connor Brothers

Price -

$2,588.48  Frame Included

Sharpen_My_Tongue_Grey_master.jpg

Literally, nothing has been done here outside of a color shift in the background in Photoshop (not to mention killing brush detail from the painting in the outfit and in the hair with the heavy-handed photoshop work in the blacks in the first place and neglecting to do the femme fatale's skin any favors in terms of taking out blemishes).  Add in some very basic font and a pithy statement and viola. That's it. :makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:

I can see why Maguire's daughter is ready to take the ball and go home :facepalm:

EDIT:  Better include the back cover for the Prather as well.  This is how real artists do graphic design:

DaggerofFlesh-RichardS.Prather(CrestBook142)rearcover.thumb.jpg.7d51f393dc18b6a777a90741581348c8.jpg

Posted on here years ago. They are the worst of the worst and the people who consume it with no acknowledgment are even worse swine.

On 5/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, Darwination said:

I get it now, she's been mummified. In gold cloth.  Or something.  I'm like, "that dress can't be THAT hot."  

I'm so distracted by the blonde it's hard to ponder the specifics :shiftyeyes:

You get distracted by all of the goodies going in different directions and forget to wonder where all that gold infused gauze tape was sourced hm(shrug)