• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,958 posts in this topic

Ah, a bound volume with various issues of "Galaxy"?
Love these illustrations, and how they introduced the reader in the story’s mood.
The care with which the pulp magazines and then the science fiction magazines of the post ware were done is delightful…

We have had an italian edition of Galaxy, I have very little time but at some point remind me to scan and post some cover. :)

The bound vols - 6 issues each - can be seen top shelf of old pic: Galaxy red on left 1950-59 & Astounding green 1947-59. Back in the early 1960s my older brother bought both mags monthly but didn't keep them. Once I convinced him they should be kept he then tasked me with going to the used bookstores of San Diego, and buying the back issues for five cents each, and as each six months was completed he had them bound. Time has given the piecemeal assembly a uniform look as regards page quality.

first 005.jpg

Yes, the magazines and some of the hardcover books came from my older brother. And I am also supremely grateful to John C for having driven me up from San Diego to LA where we discovered Cherokee Books & golden age comics. I have a huge collection of golden memories... (Italian Galaxys look good - they used the USA covers)

img006.jpg

The italian article is interesting as it explains that the curator was a big science fiction fan, and when he started he made a selection of the best stories already published in the first eight years of the american publication.
He then sold the title to publisher La Tribuna, which limited himself to make a "parallel" italian edition to the US issues, and it lasted up to 1964, for a total of 72 issues. :)

By "John C" you mean someone here on the forums?

Edited by vaillant

John C Calhoun was my half-brother, 35 years older than me. And the mid-1960s trips to LA were especially important - as our father, the admiral, died in 1963, and after that, when I was far beyond bereft, the Golden Age came to my rescue. & here's another Emsh from:

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place,
The stars my destination.

img489.jpg

3 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

The bound vols - 6 issues each - can be seen top shelf of old pic: Galaxy red on left 1950-59 & Astounding green 1947-59. Back in the early 1960s my older brother bought both mags monthly but didn't keep them. Once I convinced him they should be kept he then tasked me with going to the used bookstores of San Diego, and buying the back issues for five cents each, and as each six months was completed he had them bound. Time has given the piecemeal assembly a uniform look as regards page quality.

first 005.jpg

Great pic - love all those specialty publishers - I've had quite a few over the years but only a short shelf now :(

Bangzoom had an incredible shot of a bookshelf filled with them iirc...

Exploration Team sounds interesting. While I have only read a few books by Leintser I have found he's capable of taking off on an unexpected tangent for what might appear to be a well worn concept. Such was the case for his novel "Space Platform". I was contemplating a book that would probably flesh out the building and launch  of the platform. Instead the story line revolves around saboteurs efforts to scrub the mission before it even starts.   (Earl Bergey cover)

scan0746.jpg

Just wondering if anyone here has any White Mountain paperbacks - that is, paperbacks from the famed White Mountain comic pedigree.

There were some being auctioned on eBay a while back. They looked nice, of course, but were priced on the high side, so I didn't get any.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:46 AM, Arkadin said:

Just wondering if anyone here has any White Mountain paperbacks - that is, paperbacks from the famed White Mountain comic pedigree.

There were some being auctioned on eBay a while back. They looked nice, of course, but were priced on the high side, so I didn't get any.

There are pics of a few on Pinterest from old ebay auctions. The samples there look like late 70's early 80's sci-fi digests and paperbacks.

2 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

img106.jpg

How's "The Robot Empire"? I love Belknap Long, but unfortunately only a limited portion of his works has been translated into italian (yes, I know I could have dug for them, but I have little time to read novels and so concentrating on my comics research and others).