• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Decided to read my copy after seeing this scan the other day. Some pretty adult circumstances being acted out through these 12-15 year old kids!

Mass culture like these paperbacks were the Internet of the 40's and 50's ... it's hard to imagine how isolated culture was before cheap paper and distribution.

7 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Mass culture like these paperbacks were the Internet of the 40's and 50's ... it's hard to imagine how isolated culture was before cheap paper and distribution.

But probably not the other way around. The specific nature (and volatility) of telematic media leaves little room for sedimented reflection/experience and reduces chances of preservation and historical memory – unless one cares about them, and that’s up to the sensibility and awareness of the individual.

'The Robot Empire' is a ten-page short story by Frank Belknap Long that first appeared as 'The Vapor Death' in the Oct 1934 Astounding. It concerns a future where society has devolved into two camps each controlled by a giant computer brain. The brains are at war, and both hunt the few remaining people as they can then add their brainpower to the total... The story was less-than-classic but still fun and readable and picked up points for an excellently romantic ending.

hashish.JPG

Oh, we're moving on to Ellison now?  I actually got this pair in just this week.  Between the two issues, there are 5 Ellison stories, none of which have ever been collected, 3 of which haven't been reprinted since the 60's, and the other 2 of which neither have ever been reprinted.  (Although one of the unreprinted ones was adapted into comic form in Dream Corridor.)

Fantastic_1957_10.jpg

Fantastic_1957_12.jpg

On 1/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Decided to read my copy after seeing this scan the other day. Some pretty adult circumstances being acted out through these 12-15 year old kids!

Ted Nugent's first band was named after that..1960s hit "Journey to the Center of the Mind".

Every few years I buy some pulps. I try to go a little older, maybe cool covers, try not to spend much. I try to get some authors I have heard of. Last round I bought a pulp with Frank Herbert's first published work. Apparently, nobody cares as it didn't cost much.

As for why they aren't as collectible....maybe less interior art? Also, hard for people to gauge what they're worth? We might make fun of Overstreet now as being antiquated, buyt for decades it has provided a frame of reference for comic collectors. For a long time If something was $20 in there I knew i wouldn't be paying more than that unless I knew it had suddenly got really hot.

7 hours ago, the blob said:

Every few years I buy some pulps. I try to go a little older, maybe cool covers, try not to spend much. I try to get some authors I have heard of. Last round I bought a pulp with Frank Herbert's first published work. Apparently, nobody cares as it didn't cost much.

As for why they aren't as collectible....maybe less interior art? Also, hard for people to gauge what they're worth? We might make fun of Overstreet now as being antiquated, buyt for decades it has provided a frame of reference for comic collectors. For a long time If something was $20 in there I knew i wouldn't be paying more than that unless I knew it had suddenly got really hot.

No doubt Overstreet was a market maker for comics. There are guides for these other paper books but not the every year consistency Overstreet provided.

Nice pair of Killer covers there, Red insects and a red head under arm. :cloud9:

Speaking of bad insects, just received this book yesterday. Another fantastic tale by Leinster, with roots dating back to stories in 1926 and 1927, published in Amazing Stories.

scan0758.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy