• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,104 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2024 at 3:06 PM, lbcolefan said:

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1350.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1347.jpeg

Who does these covers again? Very polished. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/28/2024 at 12:28 PM, jimjum12 said:

Who does these covers again? Very polished. GOD BLESS ...

Quite possibly, George Wilson, who painted covers for Gold Key comics, including Magnus Robot Fighter.  These photos bring back memories of the seventies, when my college roommates and I would take a break from studying and go hunting for paperbacks at Moe’s, Shakespeares, and Pellucidars book shops in Berkeley.  Only Moe’s remains and at a different location run by the daughter.  :preach:

On 4/28/2024 at 2:05 PM, lbcolefan said:

Here’s a really nice set of the Phantom from the early/ mid 70’s. Unfortunately, they were not bagged and a few of them were stuck together.

IMG_1361.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

I didn't realize The Phantom got all the girls!  Chicks dig purple.  Some excellent covers in here, panorama style.

Wow. 

Horizontal Secretary closed at nearly $400 ... and I want that one. Dayum. GOD BLESS ...

On 4/28/2024 at 6:00 PM, Darwination said:

I hate the crop on the images on that seller's books - got the goods, though.

Those better Midwoods from that era are tough in any grade. That is one of my dirty dozen Midwoods ... GOD BLESS ...

On 4/28/2024 at 6:11 PM, Darwination said:

They're definitely the sort of books that might make me go "full sleaze" :whistle:

The kind you CAN take home to Mama. GOD BLESS ...

On 4/28/2024 at 1:32 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Quite possibly, George Wilson, who painted covers for Gold Key comics, including Magnus Robot Fighter.  These photos bring back memories of the seventies, when my college roommates and I would take a break from studying and go hunting for paperbacks at Moe’s, Shakespeares, and Pellucidars book shops in Berkeley.  Only Moe’s remains and at a different location run by the daughter.  :preach:

I used to work at Pellucidar! Circa 1979 to 1984 when it moved.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:47 PM, Book Guy said:

I used to work at Pellucidar! Circa 1979 to 1984 when it moved.

I graduated in 1976, so we sadly never crossed paths.  Remember the paperbacks were half cover price.  

I remember the SF Main Library had their annual book sale, where paperbacks were a nickel.  My friends and I bought shopping bags filled with our favorites.

Edited by BitterOldMan
Wrong word ☹️

Came across this website while hunting for books. I don't have any affiliation.

Their inventory doesn't cover my collecting interests, but they have a bunch of Dell, Avon, and other publishers for around $5 a book. I figured some of you might be interested!

https://careysemporium.com/collections/fiction?page=1&sort_by=created-descending