• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,958 posts in this topic

Just for a comparision: here's Kurt Caesar's illustration for the first edition of Van Vogt’s "The voyage of the Space Beagle" (from 1953).
Caesar is an amazing artist in his own right (and I will talk a lot about him when I can manage to start talking about italian comics and WW2) but on the Urania covers he often kinda adopted a "generic" american mainstream stile, not particularly striking. In this case, Thole's version for the second edition is a small masterpiece.

u27.jpg

3 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yes, it is! And that's a nice copy. :applause:

Unfortunately it’s a found image… I have very little original editions, and the few I have are mostly of Clive Staple Lewis novels.
Most of the stuff I have is in italian recent editions.

One of my favorite among the more recent: cover to the first italian edition of Zelazny’s "The Changing Land” (1983):
(original painting sourced from an auction)

The series is always "Urania", which changed its cover graphic design three or four times across the decades.

u939.jpg
bVmkUDel.jpg

Speaking of "Starship Troopers", before doing that beautiful one for an english edition, Thole did the cover for the italian first edition.
It still shows a more "classic" approach, still "immature" compared to the abstract one he would quickly develop just a few months later!

u276.jpg