• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink - January bargains?

70 posts in this topic

What i find funny is that no one here ever talks about what they are going to bid on :)

You do understand why it's not a good idea to spread the word about what books you are bidding on, right?

What i find funny is that no one here ever talks about what they are going to bid on :)

You do understand why it's not a good idea to spread the word about what books you are bidding on, right?

I will be biding on anything with a CVA sticker on it.

:jokealert:

I bid aggressively on the Okajima, but im already passed my limit on that book :( of course the auction does end on my birthday and and I could always sell books here to raise funds....

There is no doubt this thread has drawn attention to the book. The bid went up 150.00 in a matter of minutes after the post. In this case, it's all about the pedigree.

I bid aggressively on the Okajima, but im already passed my limit on that book :( of course the auction does end on my birthday and and I could always sell books here to raise funds....

There is no doubt this thread has drawn attention to the book. The bid went up 150.00 in a matter of minutes after the post. In this case, it's all about the pedigree.

I believe it was also posted in the Okajima thread in the Golden Age section. This book is getting to much free advertisement.

I believe it was also posted in the Okajima thread in the Golden Age section. This book is getting to much free advertisement.

Well at this point it's at $350 so its off the "bargain" list for sure.

Who ever is selling it will be a happy camper, cause it's gonna go for a pretty penny.

I'm going to bid what I'm going to bid no matter who says they are bidding also. If I'm looking at that JIM 83 in 8.0 does it really matter if I tell people I'm bidding on it? So are 30 other people on the boards. If I say I will go as high as $15,001 then that would be shooting myself in the foot.

Okajima, I could care less. :/

CVA is still around?

I'm going to bid what I'm going to bid no matter who says they are bidding also. If I'm looking at that JIM 83 in 8.0 does it really matter if I tell people I'm bidding on it? So are 30 other people on the boards. If I say I will go as high as $15,001 then that would be shooting myself in the foot.

Okajima, I could care less. :/

Let's see how it goes then... considering I placed a number of tracking bid on a couple of hundred books I will disclose the ones that are lower on my priority buying list. It is January, I am looking to upgrade several Amazing Spider-man's in my collection this year. There is nothing that is absolutely essential right now. However, I placed a number of bids on a bunch of them. Then at the end I will go a little higher. If it makes some sense, then I will upgrade a Spidey book here and there.

The significance of that comic and Pedigree is lost on me too.

Anyone care to explain?

OK Im only answering this cause I JUST had a PM conversation with someone about this exactly and I laid out what made this pedigree so cool (and now my blathering will continue to drive up the price of the book and I'll have even less chance of owning another one)

here's what I said

But to me there's no better pedigree story than the Okajima ped.

1. The Original owner was female. Know how many other peds were collected by females? None that I can think of, especially not in the Golden Age. I look at the books she read, she was reading everything, all sorts of books, and they were all "geared" for boys. No Animal books in collection, only one or two romance (and they were Venus, so not really romance). She read super heroes, war stories, crime everything the boys would be reading. Thats awesome to me.

2. We've all collected during "hard" times. Financial hard times, times where there wasn't a comic shop near by.. .but this girl kept collecting while dealing with INTERNMENT! Now some internment camps weren't too bad. People who worked got day passes to go to their jobs and just had to report back after work (check out, check in), but kids stayed in the camps in almost all instances. So these books were an ABSOLUTE escape for her. And money in many instances was super tight, so the fact that she was able to continue buying books week after week is amazing. Either her father had a very good job, or she was old enough to have some work inside the camp to pay for her hobby. The fact that she kept collecting through all this is amazing to me. Look at the dates she bought books. She'd go back to the Canteen sometimes within a few days of the last visit to pick up another book or two. Did someone work there save her a copy behind the desk? Did she work at the shop, sweeping floors, doing chores to "pay" for the books? Its all a testamant to how much she loved comics, and how important the medium was to her.

3. I love the fact that there are war books in her collection. She's in an internment camp because of the war, but there are copies of Captain America, Fightin' Yank and other "war" comics right there. Some with Cap punching a japanese soldier right there on the cover. Makes me think she maintained her love of country (in some fashion) DESPITE what it was doing to her and her family. Amazing.

4. Camps Guards were not all honorable. Did she have money/books stolen from her when the guards did their random house checks/sweeps? Did she have a place she hid the books away from the house to keep them safe?

5. Families got moved around. Both within the camp (changing houses) and between camps. She has one book that has the unique note of "Camp 3" The idea that she was likely able to relocate during her internment with her collection in hand is amazing that it didnt get tossed along the way. Again, a testament to the importance these books held to her.

6. The code. Her little alphanumeric code makes me want to find all the books throughout the timeline of her internment. I havent found a single book that pre-dated the Internment act. The first ped book, Starting Comics #24, might have been from right when she arrived (it does have the "Okajima" --script that she used to tag her books) but it has no code. The first code I've found is from 2/22/44 with a "2j" and that date is two YEARS after Rosevelt authorized all the Internment (which had already started). What was going on before that point? Where are the books with codes prior to 2j? Is there a 1 series?

There's just so much that adds color and context to this pedigree above all the other ones. I cant think of another pedigree with a better story. It all paints a rich picture of the collector, some of it fabricated in my mind's storytelling attempts to fill the gap for sure, but it is such a compelling pedigree because of it.

enough rambling of mine...

hm

lol

Here's a beauty.

RAD321EB201419_12044.jpg

hm

lol

Here's a beauty.

RAD321EB201419_12044.jpg

Good thing that sticker is on there, otherwise I might not have known it was a nice presenting 4.0!