• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st in a long while - Flash Comics #1

16 posts in this topic

it's been many months since i last asked for a grading opinion. but after having posted this on the PLOD thread, i'd thought it was time to see what folks think.

this was one of my first e-bay purchases over two years ago. i bought it as restored and i'd like to hear what you think the Apparent grade is.

it came in an inner well of the CGC holder but had been removed from the hard case and had no grade.

thanks much..........(please remember the GA "curve"... grin.gif)

1098589574467_flash__1.jpg

1097545407921_flash__1_001.jpg

Restored books are especially tough to grade from scans because the restoration looks so much different in person (remember CentaurMan's restored Detective #1 that looked like a 9.0 in the scan, but was an apparent 5.5 because the spine replacement was much more visible in person?). This is especially true for piece replacement. If a large piece of the cover is replaced but the inside text/art is not recreated on the piece, the apparent grade will be much lower.

Could you give us an idea of what resto the book has?

Without knowing anything else, the book looks like at least an 8.5 or 9.0 (I see two long wrinkles on the back cover by the $2.98 price blurb and the colors are a bit faded). But ignoring those defects, the rest of the book looks 9.6-ish structurally.

How exstensive was the resto? book looks fantastic blush.gif

to answer you and FFB, the restoration included, color touch, small tear seals and cleaning. (there was no trimming).

interestingly, the seller contacted me a couple of months later asking if i was interested in selling it back to him. seems that someone who'd seen it and had been thinking it over for quite a while decided he wanted it. he was willing to pay a nice premium, but i was just thrilled with the book, and that was that. sumo.gif

How exstensive was the resto? book looks fantastic blush.gif

to answer you and FFB, the restoration included, color touch, small tear seals and cleaning. (there was no trimming).

interestingly, the seller contacted me a couple of months later asking if i was interested in selling it back to him. seems that someone who'd seen it and had been thinking it over for quite a while decided he wanted it. he was willing to pay a nice premium, but i was just thrilled with the book, and that was that. sumo.gif

So what was the official grade? You can PM it to me if you're waiting for other opinions. I'm bad at waiting. shy.gif

Looks like a 9.0 or better on the scan, but I have to echo FFB's comments regarding grading restored books from scans. The highest Flash 1 on the census is a 9.0, so I assume that is the highest it could be. I am amazed that anyone would remove a 9.0 from its holder, so... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have you taken it out and looked through it?

Great book cloud9.gif

Wouldn't those creases on the back be considered production creases? They don't look like they were incurred after publishing, via pressure, impact, bending, etc.?

Regardless of what the CGC census says - and let's not forget that the census is far from perfect and may well have a great many omissions - I'd say that's a 9.2 at the very least, when applying the "GA forgiveness" factor.

Very, very impressive book - I could see that one hanging in the Louvre in another 50 years!

I'd guess it's a 8.5. There seems to be some creasing in the Johnny Thunder circle on the front, as well as creasing and some stress marks on the back. And I'm not trying to dis the book; it's absolutely beautiful! Congrats!

I'd guess it's a 8.5. There seems to be some creasing in the Johnny Thunder circle on the front, as well as creasing and some stress marks on the back. And I'm not trying to dis the book; it's absolutely beautiful! Congrats!

no Dis taken......... grin.gif

despite the pretty decent scans, there are some modest creases here and there.

and to answer FFB - i don't know. it was removed from the outter holder before sale. i will be sending it in to CGC before the year is out.

never knowingly sent in a restored book before. will be interesting to try and determine value before grading since this will be priced based on FMV.......... confused.gif