• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about grading...

13 posts in this topic

Assuming everything else is perfectly ok, and this comic would be a 10.0 otherwise, how many point(s) would the markings on the picture below lower the overall rating? Are we talking a point? 3 points? half-a-point?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

update: sorry, I noticed the picture isn't showing up automatically. So youll have to click the "attachment" link on top of the post. Thanks

632066-14_1.jpg.4f0fd31823722a82d3254917230105cc.jpg

Assuming everything else is perfectly ok, and this comic would be a 10.0 otherwise, how many point(s) would the markings on the picture below lower the overall rating? Are we talking a point? 3 points? half-a-point?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

update: sorry, I noticed the picture isn't showing up automatically. So youll have to click the "attachment" link on top of the post. Thanks

You could get a 9.9, but not a 10.0.

a blatant marking on the cover of a comic would only degrade it by .1?? can that be?

Read the 9.9 section of your Overstreet Grading Guide. You said to assume the rest of the book was a 10.0.

Thanks for the picture post. And since Im obviously new to all of this I feel obliged to ask another stupid question:

Upon looking at the Overstreet pricing guide I noticed that a lot of books are being sold on ComicLink.com (as well as other sites) for often times 5x-10x the listed value. Is this because someone is just hoping a sucker will bite? or is it truly representative of a value surge? If so, then I must say, easily 50% of the prices I checked on the latest Overstreet edition (34 I believe) are terribly outdated.

Overstreet is a price "Guide". It is not a list of retail prices for comic books.

Anyone has the right to price something they own at whatever they want to charge.

Someone actually paying that price is a different story.

However, in some cases there are books that demand exceeds supply and the market value will be higher.

In other cases, the Overstreet Guide price is indeed obsolete.

Then there are people that are looking for the sucker that will take the bait.

gossip.gif

My advice for getting into anything for the first time...

Do your homework before you put money into it.

Start small and don't jump in with both feet.

And don't eat the yellow snow. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, here's another one:

Having never gone before, when they say that CGC will be grading at lets say, a convention, does that mean that theyll just be giving their opinion, or that they will actually be accepting payment for grading and will package it in their holders etc.. accordingly?

(Im asking this because I have a convention coming up shortly and i dont know whether to mail my stuff awayto CGC or just wait)

One other thing worth considering, Reykjavik:

Many casual fans / observers will look at a comic and think "boy, that looks perfect - just the way it did on the newsstand back when it was published." Then you shod the same book to a serious collector or a (knowledgeable, honest) dealer, and they'll say "ah, looks like a VF+ to me."

The grading standards have gotten tighter, and this corresponds in signficant ways to the prices going up. Don't assume that a book is "Near Mint" based on grading standards of say, more than a few years ago.

If you want to post scans of the entire front and back covers, you might be surprised at the grades that board regulars assign the book...

I've been collecting for 30 years, and my grading criteria and methods of assessing a book's grade are still evolving and improving...