• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED Seduction of the Innocent, First Print, with bibliography!

19 posts in this topic

One book. No pics yet, but an "I'll take it pending pics" is fine. I'll get pics this weekend.

The usual rules. No losers, probies, HOSers. "Take it" in thread trumps all. Payment within a week via PayPal, check, or MO.

This is something you don't see every day... an affordable copy of Seduction of the Innocent by Fredric Wertham, with the bibliography still intact.

Since you're a board member who's looking at GA/SA/BA, I'm guessing you already know all about this book and its significance to the industry. Dr. Wertham's accusations helped spark a U.S. Senate investigation into the dangers of comic books, which led to the castration of the comic book industry via the Comics Code Authority. It's hard to overstate just how much this book influenced comic books for many years to come.

When the book was published, its publisher (Rinehart) feared lawsuits from the comic book publishers. So after the first printing of SOTI was printed and without even Dr. Wertham's knowledge, Rinehart ordered the bibliography page (listing publishers whose works were cited in SOTI) removed from the book. It is for this reason that most copies of SOTI that survived have no bibliography.

However, a few books made it out into the public's hands with the bibliography intact. This is one such copy.

This is a re-bound former library book with a green binding. There is a tape repair to the LRFC. The book has the usual library markings and checkout sleeve, plus several library stamps inside, but is otherwise unmarked, with no pencil/pen notations or highlighting. All sixteen illustration pages (8 leaves) are intact in the middle of the book, showing images from notorious comics like Phantom Lady #17, Reform School Girl, True Crime Comics #2 and Crime Reporter #2. And, as noted previously, that elusive bibliography page (pp. 399-400) is intact in this copy of SOTI.

This book can be yours for $120, shipped fully insured anywhere in the US. I'll gladly ship outside the US as long as you pay the shipping amount to cover fully insured shipping.

The last copy I had with the bibliography was in its original binding, and sold here on the boards for many times this price. This is your chance to get a first print with bibliography, without breaking the bank.

I wish Speedy weren't so danged … fast! :D

Stay tuned! Since my collecting focus is so narrow, I come up with copies of SOTI for sale on a regular basis. Within the last six months, I sold a different copy with the bibliography, and I also gave away another SOTI (no bibliography) to a boardie who I believe actually (gasp! choke!) READS GA comic books and identified two of the previously-unknown SOTI comics.

I have another copy to give away, so stay tuned for that!

I wish Speedy weren't so danged … fast! :D

Stay tuned! Since my collecting focus is so narrow, I come up with copies of SOTI for sale on a regular basis. Within the last six months, I sold a different copy with the bibliography, and I also gave away another SOTI (no bibliography) to a boardie who I believe actually (gasp! choke!) READS GA comic books and identified two of the previously-unknown SOTI comics.

I have another copy to give away, so stay tuned for that!

I read GA comics and I love em. Who reads that modern *Spoon* anyway :preach:

and today I learned that SOTI had biblo HA that made me laugh inside.

Duffman, Thor, thanks so much for the kind words.

Now here's another copy of Seduction of the Innocent, the book that nearly killed the comic book industry. This one's a second print from 1954/1955-ish. I've never been able to learn exactly when the second print came out. I suspect it's 1954, because by the time the Code came out there wouldn't have been nearly as much demand for this book. But I have no proof of that, so let's just call this the second printing.

For years, collectors bought and sold second prints as first prints, because in the pre-internet days it wasn't easy to come across information that would tell you how to distinguish them. Here's how you can tell: a first print has an R colophon on the publication page, and a second print does not.

So this one's a second print, and it's in great shape. It has no markings, writing, or highlighting inside. The inside front covers don't have any of the bleaching to the orange that I've seen on some copies. The photos tell the condition story. The one defect of note is the red lettering of "Wertham" on the spine, which is worn. All 16 pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present.

This copy can be yours for just $90 plus $5 for securely packed (bubble wrap+box) shipping anywhere in the US. International shipping at cost for fully insured shipping.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_01_zpsd1089106.jpg

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_02_zps856ac3cf.jpg

The red in Wertham's name on the spine is a bit worn.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_03_zps0488be2c.jpg

Inside FC

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_04_zpsadcbe0d3.jpg

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_05_zpscc383c65.jpg

The publication page shows no R colophon. This is the only way to distinguish a first printing from a second printing.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_06_zpsf7354a4f.jpg

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_07_zpsdeb16803.jpg

All sixteen pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present, with such beauties as Crime Reporter #2, True Crime #2, Phantom Lady #17 and of course Reform School Girl.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_08_zpsf50b09fa.jpg

Inside BC

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_09_zpsfd7ba25e.jpg

BC

Now here's another copy of Seduction of the Innocent, the book that nearly killed the comic book industry. This one's a second print from 1954/1955-ish. I've never been able to learn exactly when the second print came out. I suspect it's 1954, because by the time the Code came out there wouldn't have been nearly as much demand for this book. But I have no proof of that, so let's just call this the second printing.

For years, collectors bought and sold second prints as first prints, because in the pre-internet days it wasn't easy to come across information that would tell you how to distinguish them. Here's how you can tell: a first print has an R colophon on the publication page, and a second print does not.

So this one's a second print, and it's in great shape. It has no markings, writing, or highlighting inside. The inside front covers don't have any of the bleaching to the orange that I've seen on some copies. The photos tell the condition story. The one defect of note is the red lettering of "Wertham" on the spine, which is worn. All 16 pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present.

This copy can be yours for just $90 plus $5 for securely packed (bubble wrap+box) shipping anywhere in the US. International shipping at cost for fully insured shipping.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_01_zpsd1089106.jpg

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_02_zps856ac3cf.jpg

The red in Wertham's name on the spine is a bit worn.

:takeit:

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_03_zps0488be2c.jpg

Inside FC

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_04_zpsadcbe0d3.jpg

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_05_zpscc383c65.jpg

The publication page shows no R colophon. This is the only way to distinguish a first printing from a second printing.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_06_zpsf7354a4f.jpg

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_07_zpsdeb16803.jpg

All sixteen pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present, with such beauties as Crime Reporter #2, True Crime #2, Phantom Lady #17 and of course Reform School Girl.

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_08_zpsf50b09fa.jpg

Inside BC

SOTI_2nd_Print_Jan_2014_09_zpsfd7ba25e.jpg

BC

Now here's another copy of Seduction of the Innocent, the book that nearly killed the comic book industry.

:takeit:

^^