• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM back from CGC, not sure how to take this

20 posts in this topic

I haven't seen this before. I'm sure the all black cover makes this stand out a lot, but how have people taken this before? The book isn't affected, basically the inside of the slab is just pressed against it.......does this affect the value? If so, how badly? Do I need to return for a reslab? The big mark in the center is obvious, there is also a line on the bottom.......

Thoughts? Help?

IMG_0114_zps3f900fdf.jpg

From what I understand, this is between the well and the slab itself and doesn't affect your comic. You should be able to slide a piece of paper inthe side of the slab and "interrupt" that mark, although IDK if it will just come back again.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me (not hard to do) will come in and explain further.

-slym

It's the reaction from the barex pressing against the outer plastic. I'd had it on some of my slabs and carefully inserted a piece of paper on each side to smooth them out and allow air to circulate. Pretty much sorted it out on the slabs I've had with that, just be carfeul you don't let the paper slip into the case.

Aesthetically if I were buying, it would put me off though it's nothing against the actual comic inside. It's about the presentation after all.

This was actually my first CGC comic back in the day and it's still got the old label :)

To reiterate what's been said, there is no problem. It's merely an optical illusion that happens when the inner well gets into contact with the outer shell. It does absolutely nothing to the comic nor the integrity of the slab. As noted above, just slip a sheet of paper to break contact. If you are not buying something because this puts you off, then you are being foolish.

There was a problem last year where the inner well was malformed and creating bulges that could cause issues with the comic book, but not this.

Thanks for all the advice. This is my book that I'd sent in and gotten back recently, it personally isn't a big deal but I was looking to see how to get rid of it if possible, and if it would be a hindrance when selling (which I'm considering, as I have another 9.8 that came back with it)

The paper trick works well to get rid of it, but on some it just keeps coming back. One thing I have noticed, it is a lot worse in cold weather.

I got to the point where I didn't even notice it anymore. That might be tough on the black cover though…

It may be static electricity that is making these two surfaces come together - probably exacerbated in the winter by the dryness.

There was a problem last year where the inner well was malformed and creating bulges that could cause issues with the comic book, but not this.

So, problem has been fixed? hm

Nope, the "puddling" is still in full effect.

Dang! That's what I figured but I was hoping I missed something.

I've had this on some of my own books from CGC. Feel free to contact them about it and I'm sure they will rectify the problem. The only problem is the shipping back and forth.

I've found that if you carefully allow air into the outer slab case, by separating the slab from the middle, that air might be able to get through and interrupt the issue, just be careful not to crack the slab. Just a little air. It might at least make it better, sometimes it just moves the issue to a different place.

The black cover doesn't help. I guess they save a couple of bucks on a cover artist.

So, problem has been fixed? hm

Nope, the "puddling" is still in full effect.

Dang! That's what I figured but I was hoping I missed something.

+1

I've had this on some of my own books from CGC. Feel free to contact them about it and I'm sure they will rectify the problem. The only problem is the shipping back and forth.

I've found that if you carefully allow air into the outer slab case, by separating the slab from the middle, that air might be able to get through and interrupt the issue, just be careful not to crack the slab. Just a little air. It might at least make it better, sometimes it just moves the issue to a different place.

The black cover doesn't help. I guess they save a couple of bucks on a cover artist.

CGC will not give you a free reholder for this - it's not a defect, just an optical illusion.