• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could start your collection all over again...

48 posts in this topic

I would have been a little less picky on condition, and bought early Marvels. For example, the 9.0 Avengers 1 my dealer in Boise had circa 1988-1989 for $500 - I should have bought it, and not worried about the dam spine tics. doh!

I would have bought more DC back issues starting in 1972, instead of waiting until 1988. :sorry:

So the question is, if YOU could start over, how would you do it?

Figure out what books are your absolute favorite and get several of them.

If you can afford it, there's no downside to having two to five copies of the same key.

You already like the book, you can get in a tough situation and sell the book, but you'll still have the book.

I have two AF #15... I can get into a financial need and sell one... but I will still own AF #15.

If I had known "then" what I know now... I would have five by now.

Not just one book... a short list of favorites... then go deep on that short list. (thumbs u

Interesting point. never thought about it that way.

i would have purchased more than one copy of each.

...and not cut up the extra copy for my scrap book... :sorry:

Nor cut out all those Marvel Value Stamps....., :eek:

I did it right as a kid only focusing on Spider-man. However I still regret getting rid of my GI Joes. I am seriously thinking of putting a run together again.

You can start your collection over again.

At any point.

Stop with the current one, sell or store, and buy what you want. It's what people should do. It took me far too long to realize this and I still fight with it regularly. But it doesn't affect me much to dump the old.

Pat

I've been resisting all temptation of snatching up everything on eBay that I think is a semi decent deal. I just subscribed to GPAnalaysis, and this has kinda put me back into reality of what a good deal really is.

I think i'll stick with narrowing my collection to about my top 50-100 key books and go from there. A lot of really good advice from everyone on the boards. I remember before I used to be so anxious to buy anything, that I would be out of money when something I reallly wanted came around.

Any body ever have good luck on buying at shows? Or am I kinda stuck with eBay? Seems like I'm too slow at catching the good BIN deals!

For me, a combination of the following...

I would only have slabbed key issues of comics that I care about. Everything else would be in nice collected editions on my bookshelf and/or digital.

Mixture of raws and slabs in my case.

I'd have payed more attention to which way the herd is running, and go the opposite.

I would have kept more of the comics I had as a kid...

I find that the only books which really matter to me now are ones which are linked to specific memories, times, and places. I've replaced many of them over the years, but having all of my OO books, ca. 1972 - 1980, would have been pretty cool...

Starting over. I will assume I start over with the same availability to buying that I have today. When I started buying comics in 1970-71 the only books you could buy were the ones you had in your hand ( no internet ).

I would buy better quality books. When I started collecting I was a completionist and often bought the first copy of a book I didn't have. Now I would be more patient and wait for the better copy.

I would not bother being a completionist on every title.

Two things I should have done differently.

Stop buying comics in the 90's and not to slab any books.

After the 90's the comics went down hill for me. And slabbing books had not gotten me anything extra that I can get from a unslabbed comic.

I would only have slabbed key issues of comics that I care about. Everything else would be in nice collected editions on my bookshelf and/or digital.

this sounds like a great way to start for me... I am looking at buying the full runs of SUPERIOR, SPECTACULAR, PETER PARKER, ULTIMATE, etc... I have started picking up CGC books that I like, also looking at getting the key issues, and of course my sketch covers... maybe I should just bypass all the current print stuff and focus on that myself... and go collected, or probably prefer to do the digital thing...

This is basically where I'm at. HUGE Marvel fan. I've grown up in the mid 90's

and amassed many $1 bin comics when I was young. 15 years later I have the funds available to purchase comics I once dreampt of like X-Men 1 and other Silver Age key books. With eBay I have a lot at my fingertips, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

I do have a good knowledge on using completed sales, and will probably subscribe to GPA soon. I have a lot of ideas going on in my head...

Look for one huge lot and get the best bang for your buck?

Focus ONLY on purchasing low end "grail" books (ie AF15, FF1, HULK1, etc) slowly, from most expensive on down?

Focus on whatever the best deals currently on eBay is?

So the question is, if YOU could start over, how would you do it?

I would keep myself

I would find a way