• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Black Hole 4 the rarest Whitman?

97 posts in this topic

From Doug Sulipa's site, here...

http://www.dougcomicworld.com/INVENTORY-WhitmanComicsSite.html

BLACK HOLE ("Beyond the"...; #1-3 = Adapts the Walt Disney Movie; #4 = Beyond the Black Hole, with New Storyline);

#4 (September/1980; VERY RARE; NEW Stories, beyond the Movie; Currently one of the TOUGHEST Whitman Pre-Pack issues; SOLD OUT);

*** On 6/12/2013 BLACK HOLE #4 in CGC NM/MT, 9.8 sold for $2,653.00 on comicconnect;

#5, 6 were Scheduled for release, but never Printed (unpublished Artwork exists)

Got a guy offering me Black Hole 4 Whitman in super nice grade, apparently the rarest Whitman Gold Key. Is this a sought after book?

I don't think you would have any problems finding a buyer if the price is right. It's notoriety as one of the rarest Whitman's makes it an easy sell to the right collector. Is it encapsulated? What grade is the seller assigning to it?

BLACK HOLE ("Beyond the"...; #1-3 = Adapts the Walt Disney Movie; #4 = Beyond the Black Hole, with New Storyline);

#4 (September/1980; VERY RARE; NEW Stories, beyond the Movie; Currently one of the TOUGHEST Whitman Pre-Pack issues; SOLD OUT);

*** On 6/12/2013 BLACK HOLE #4 in CGC NM/MT, 9.8 sold for $2,653.00 on comicconnect;

#5, 6 were Scheduled for release, but never Printed (unpublished Artwork exists)

I've been to Doug's warehouse, only half hour from my place. It is a collectors wet dream - rows of comics stacked to the ceiling on the first floor, 2nd floor same but paperbacks, magazines, posters and whatnot. has to be seen to be believed. He's a nice guy full of comic history!

I've been to Doug's warehouse, only half hour from my place. It is a collectors wet dream - rows of comics stacked to the ceiling on the first floor, 2nd floor same but paperbacks, magazines, posters and whatnot. has to be seen to be believed. He's a nice guy full of comic history!

Lucky! That must be nice? He'd have to kick me out every night before closing. I'd never leave the place. Not to mention he's one of the great dealers and graders.

* Isn't the DCCP 22 the rarest Whitman?

I am by no means a Whitman expert, this deal just happened along and I went for it.

A good friend of mine Greg Harder used to work at Comic World in the late 70's & 80's Which is how I know Doug, he keeps his warehouse location a secret for obvious reasons.

Here's a Youtube clip of an old 80's Canadian show called the AntiGravity Room, interviewing Greg inside Doug's warehouse when it was downtown Winnipeg.

Greg also sells comics out of his basement now, he's the most helpful, honest dealer you will ever meet, also the absolute STRICTEST grader. He used to advertise in the guide, some of the posters here might have dealt with him