• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Black Hole 4 the rarest Whitman?

97 posts in this topic

I do not know but I think my writing skills are not up to this board. Some of my collector friends are enlightening me on the board ettiquete I just think if someone wants to constructively correct my spelling and grammer then to attack my knowlege of the subject is not the way to do it. I will try in the future to ignore until they go away now that I am being versed by my friends to do so.

As far as Capital letters the answer to that is I did not know they meant to yell. I left my reading glasses upstairs and this type is so little I typed in bold capps to finish typing what I was talking about. I am sorry for the confussion.

No black Hole # 4 IS NOT the rarest GOLD KEY VARRIENT Whitman.

I found some of the Canadian 75 cent Whitmans in high grade to be the rarest. Also I have not found but one Pink Panther 78 40 cent price varrient in 10 years of on line searching. I have one in my Whitman pre-pack and scarce whitman set on this site it is only a CGC 6.0. .

I think I am qualified to tell you that NO THE BLACK HOLE #4 IS NOT THE RAREST WHITMAN IN HIGH GRADE BUT LITTLE LULU 260 IS MORE POINTS AND RARER IN MY SET. LULU # 260 9.8 IS 1900 POINTS AND BLACK HOLE #4 MY NEXT ADDITION IS ONLY 900 POINTS. THE POINTS ARE BASED ON RAREITY OF THE BOOK. SCROOGE 179 9.8 IS 2000 POINTS.SO I SAY THAT IN ORDER OF HIGH GRADE RARITY IT IS SCROOGE 179 FIRST THEN LULU 26O SECOND.

Hi Bonnie, :)

This is what I found as far as rarity goes. BH #4 (16 total, 2 in 9.8) has less books in the CGC census than US #179 (53 total, 1 in 9.6) & LL #260 (36 total, 3 in 9.8). To me that makes it a rarer book out of the 3. The BH #4's appearing on eBay my just be coincidental timing by all the sellers to list concurrently. hm

I know this doesn't take into account the raw or PGX graded copies that exist though. Just out of curiosity what grading system do you go by to calculate your points? Thanks.

My points are assigned in the set on this site. Over the years I have seen other grading companies and loose also foreign BH 4 along with other US 179. Two Christmas ago US 179 PGX 9.8 went for almost 3500 on ebay.I have not seen one since in high grade. That is it the Whitman books are hard to find in high grade.

The CGC census is what my points are based on.The set is titled Whitman pre pack and scarce . If you view it in the registry click on the far right on the book name and you will see the list of the points that book is worth in universal grades, signature, all of that.My set is obscured until I have my books graded back., but Andrew's set the award winner is not. Also the Gallery is almost complete in his set. He has a great set of Whitman so you can look on his pictures.

Many of Scrooge Lulu and BH all rare but over the years since 2001 when I started looking on line, I have only seen one Pink Panther 78 40 cent book. And believe me I have looked. So if anyone out there has one I am buying my copy is 6.0. This is with looking on comic sites in shops and on the online auctions. I say that the PP 78 40 cent book is the hardest to find not the 50 cent book.I also have not seen any double covers like my Looney Tunes 47 or have I seen any 75 cent Canadian LT 47 and 46 like I have.These are my hardest to find books in low or high grade.

Sorry for my spelling errors I.do not have a spell check on this android nook thing.The type is so small I can not even see it.

This is what I found as far as rarity goes. BH #4 (16 total, 2 in 9.8) has less books in the CGC census than US #179 (53 total, 1 in 9.6) & LL #260 (36 total, 3 in 9.8). To me that makes it a rarer book out of the 3. The BH #4's appearing on eBay my just be coincidental timing by all the sellers to list concurrently. hm

I'm not sure you can go by the census. For instance, US 179 and some of the others, including LL 260 and the Woody Woodpecker issue have gotten lots of press as being very scarce. Thus, demand has gone up and value has gone up. When that happens, people tend to submit more and the census grows.

I'm not sure BH 4 has received that level or exposure and demand... yet anyway.

Could BH4 be rarer? Yeah, I guess it could, but the census is not always the best indicator of rarity

I'm not sure you can go by the census. For instance, US 179 and some of the others, including LL 260 and the Woody Woodpecker issue have gotten lots of press as being very scarce. Thus, demand has gone up and value has gone up. When that happens, people tend to submit more and the census grows.

I'm not sure BH 4 has received that level or exposure and demand... yet anyway.

Could BH4 be rarer? Yeah, I guess it could, but the census is not always the best indicator of rarity

Totally makes sense to me, thanks for your input my friend! (thumbs u

My points are assigned in the set on this site. Over the years I have seen other grading companies and loose also foreign BH 4 along with other US 179. Two Christmas ago US 179 PGX 9.8 went for almost 3500 on ebay.I have not seen one since in high grade. That is it the Whitman books are hard to find in high grade.

Here's a multi-pack you'll appreciate!

Other stuff you might like:

This thread Whitman appreciation and information thread

Or this thread Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread

Or this thread Infinite Multi-Pack Thread.

There are some Whitman packs in the thread that you may enjoy seeing.

144762.jpg.bf20d0b529aa10000f0fb9629eb9e6d9.jpg

A little late to the party here but have to agree about the 40 cent variant of Pink Panther #78 being one of the hardest to find, and I too have been looking for years. Only managed to find a couple of them. A lot of those 40 cent variant issues from 1/81 are tough except for WDCS 484 Scrooge 182, Donald Duck 225, Huey 67, and LuLu 262. There seems to be a lot of those out there. The Bugs 223, Pink Panther 78, Super Goof 63 are tough to find in any condition. Contrary to popular belief, Flash Gordon 30 and Bugs 222 are not the same as the 50 cent versions of those books are second prints.

That was funny Variant spellings are OK with me too.

I am going to answer the question about is Black Hole the rarest Whitman!

NO I am happy to say that I now own the Rarest Whitman ever! :applause:

I own a Canadian Whitman two pack of Scrooge 179 and Hewy DL 65 that is most likely the only one of its kind to exsist still. It was put out in very low distribution by Whitman Limited. if you want to see the board about it you can see the conversation on thread called Whitman appreciation and information.

I also bought Black Hole #4 for 6,250 and Doug Sulipa is listing it as the highest Whitman sale ever !!! I am serious about my Whitmans!

I have 50 more books to send to CGC they are high grade scarce books from 1984 and my set will be complete! to view my second place set and picture Gallery paste this in your brouser.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=14777

Many of the books in my set are highest grade even as low as 9.2 and many are .75 cent Canadian books. I am going to up grade some of the books when all are graded and complete.So if you want to trade or sell I am up for it. I am even up for trading the two pack for a Scrooge 179 high grade.

I own a Canadian Whitman two pack of Scrooge 179 and Hewy DL 65 that is most likely the only one of its kind to exsist still. It was put out in very low distribution by Whitman Limited. if you want to see the board about it you can see the conversation on thread called Whitman appreciation and information.

I also bought Black Hole #4 for 6,250 and Doug Sulipa is listing it as the highest Whitman sale ever !!! I am serious about my Whitmans!

I have 50 more books to send to CGC they are high grade scarce books from 1984 and my set will be complete! to view my second place set and picture Gallery paste this in your brouser.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=14777

Many of the books in my set are highest grade even as low as 9.2 and many are .75 cent Canadian books. I am going to up grade some of the books when all are graded and complete.So if you want to trade or sell I am up for it. I am even up for trading the two pack for a Scrooge 179 high grade.

Can you see copies of the actual books from that link? Also, how do you verify you are the owner of a book. In other words what prevents someone from just copying CGC #'s into these sets and claiming they have the number one set?

Can you see copies of the actual books from that link? Also, how do you verify you are the owner of a book. In other words what prevents someone from just copying CGC #'s into these sets and claiming they have the number one set?

Nothing, from what I've gathered.

Andrew Rathburn and I both have picture galleries of our books. There is nothing to stop someone from claiming the book with the registry number but if the rightful owner ever tries to register their book they would be busted.

Andrew and I both have reputations to keep in ebay and in this board. I did have a Win ie the Pooh 22 that was in my set stolen 6 years ago and I have not found one like it so it is still listed. I kept it listed in case someone tries to claim it.

If anyone ask for a scan of a book I would have to send one and if I did not have the book that would be one way to know,other than that you are right it is easy to copy the registry number and put it in a set for a thief.

Oh I may have misunderstood your question .Once a book is registered in my set the number is mine no one can use it CGC will not let it be used twice.It can not be used until I release it from my set.