• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

To whomever needs to see this

You want this comic? 85% of asking is the lowest you'll ever get it for. Save yourself some time

Actually amazed there has been more asks on this one, than the red.

Red is way more hard to come by, only 3 known, whereas there are at least 8 known blues

20210421_184602.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 6:32 AM, spreads said:

85% of what price?  I think MCS had a red that just sold.......could be wrong, but I thought they had one around a few k?

Nope. The two that are at MCS are the only copies they've ever had 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:32 AM, spreads said:

85% of what price?  I think MCS had a red that just sold.......could be wrong, but I thought they had one around a few k?

And since I've been able to clear things up, yes those are mine

I was told to put them up for a price I was comfortable letting them go for. Not expecting anyone to pay what I want, but considering FuFat put his up for 30k+, I figure what the hell.

If we could find the missing 2 blues and 7 reds, that would be quite the spectacle 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:06 AM, The Meta said:

And since I've been able to clear things up, yes those are mine

I was told to put them up for a price I was comfortable letting them go for. Not expecting anyone to pay what I want, but considering FuFat put his up for 30k+, I figure what the hell.

If we could find the missing 2 blues and 7 reds, that would be quite the spectacle 

You didn't answer my question, 85% of which price - the MCS 22.5?  Would it be a fair assumption to assume you haven't received offers of 85%?  I let my GPA expire, I can't recall the market on these books.....

On 1/16/2022 at 3:30 PM, spreads said:

You didn't answer my question, 85% of which price - the MCS 22.5?  Would it be a fair assumption to assume you haven't received offers of 85%?  I let my GPA expire, I can't recall the market on these books.....

Yes about 17k at this point

I bought these for 2500 red and 2000 respectively 

On 1/16/2022 at 5:53 PM, The Meta said:

Yes about 17k at this point

I bought these for 2500 red and 2000 respectively 

Well, I don't care what you paid....I'm just not familiar with the history of sales on them.  Not counting the period before 2005, when Maxx ashcans were still pretty damn cheap (if you can find them).  

On 1/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, spreads said:

Well, I don't care what you paid....I'm just not familiar with the history of sales on them.  Not counting the period before 2005, when Maxx ashcans were still pretty damn cheap (if you can find them).  

Have a black 2 for 10k on ebay for ya

And you asked for the market, telling you what I paid should help. I should think 

Edited by The Meta

On 1/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, The Meta said:

Have a black 2 for 10k on ebay for ya

And you asked for the market, telling you what I paid should help. I should think 

Well, we all know the seller of that book, and the history of that stash....I think it's safe to assume that price is unrealistic.....I was the first buyer to 'set the bar' on The Maxx Black over 10 years ago, and people thought it was crazy to have someone paid $500 for Maxx Black.  ComicSutra did a great job marketing these books, and they were very rare - but from 2008 and before the demand for the Maxx Ashcans was extremely low....it took many catalysts for their market to get where it is today.  I look at a lot of other rare books from dead characters and the price trend is a slow, gradual decline off its peak.  So whatever I pay for these books now, I"m happy knowing long-term I'm probably not going to get that back and will more than likely eat the loss.  Conversely I just paid 20k for a TOS39, worst case I'll be able to get my money back from that at some point if I ever decide to sell - but in all likeliehood it's going to increase in value over time.

In the 90’s I was fanatical about finding chase cards. Anything rare, limited or special in some way. I remember being in awe of those Batman and Superman hologram cards and all those other gimmicky trends that are pretty cheesy today. I no longer collect them but still have a few rarities left including my Mr. Gone redemption card.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:16 AM, ▫️ said:

I saw a post about the Maxx #5 back cover that never was and it made me think of this one. Sam wrote that this was going to be the back cover of The Maxx #0. This is actually half of the original art board and the other half was eventually used and published as a cover.

F10A890E-1726-4F85-90D1-24E9D6ECDC46.jpeg

What was the other half?

This off Trout?