• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Sometimes I wonder who buys books like this.  Like obviously multi millionaires who love the hobby now and then, but I wonder if many of these purchases are done by small groups of investors.  

Or maybe people who have been collecting for years and can just offload a bunch of their silver/golden age that they don't care about and paid .25 for off the newsstand.  I know a lot of folks were liquidating collections for the Promise Collection.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:33 PM, Venomous72 said:

Sometimes I wonder who buys books like this.  Like obviously multi millionaires who love the hobby now and then, but I wonder if many of these purchases are done by small groups of investors.  

Or maybe people who have been collecting for years and can just offload a bunch of their silver/golden age that they don't care about and paid .25 for off the newsstand.  I know a lot of folks were liquidating collections for the Promise Collection.

These days, I think it's all of the above. 

It's well off collectors picking their spots. Its the ultra wealthy investors diversifying. It's long time collectors liquidating to buy that one big book. And it's places like Rally Road buying big books to sell shares. 

And that mix keeps these big sales coming. Kind of crazy.  There was a time that six figure sales were big deals. Now they seemingly happen multiple times at every big auction. 

On 10/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, KCOComics said:
On 10/11/2021 at 6:18 AM, NoMan said:

Ok, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

How much is an 8.5 worth these days?

$707,250.... if I had to guess. 

And to think that you could have pick up a 8.5 copy (albeit a signed copy :p) from Heritage for well under 6-figures and also at a rather sizable percentage discount to condition guide a mere short 5 years ago.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

I think with Spiderman lagging behind Action and Tec on prices for years it has a lot of room to grow . At what point does it hurt the book? I think the time is coming where seeing a 2.0 hit 50K is not unreasonable , who at that point is interested in even buying ? I’d say 99% of all buyers would be priced out most are now lol.

From an ownership aspect and love of the character it shouldn’t matter but it’s good to know an exit strategy if needed . 

On 10/12/2021 at 12:32 AM, lou_fine said:

And to think that you could have pick up a 8.5 copy (albeit a signed copy :p) from Heritage for well under 6-figures and also at a rather sizable percentage discount to condition guide a mere short 5 years ago.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

you don't say?:idea:  but it was signed on page 16, no cover messed up here

Edited by NoMan

On 10/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, gadzukes said:

Hmmmm..... maybe rethink this.  Buy a 4.5, and then start rebuilding your collection.  All of the other comics in your collection are easier to get.  You might have fun rebuilding, and at the same time you will have your grail.

I agree.  Do it.  It's super-liberating (or was for me).  I sold almost all of my books earlier this year (probably a month too early, in hindsight), but I used some of the proceeds to really put a dent in my ASM run.  I am now down to 8 books to complete the one run that I really want. 

On 10/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, chrisco37 said:

I agree.  Do it.  It's super-liberating (or was for me).  I sold almost all of my books earlier this year (probably a month too early, in hindsight), but I used some of the proceeds to really put a dent in my ASM run.  I am now down to 8 books to complete the one run that I really want. 

That's how I got my AF15. Sold off my collection - a bunch of high grade early Silver Surfer appearances,  and bought an AF15. Now I'm rebuilding my old collection a book at a time.

I dumped all my late 80s early 90s and beyond comics in top grade to get my copy. Kept my old books what was left of them and I’m happy . I’m not as attached to modern stuff as I am to certain huge character appearances important to me . I was extremely lucky to get my copy three days before that big heritage sale . Otherwise that ship would have sailed fast….

Edited by Subby1938

On 10/12/2021 at 8:27 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Sold off my mega keys a few years ago to pay for a pool…then couldn’t stand it so I got coverless copies on the cheap and Fedoraman covers. Just got this one back from CGC…

5B7ACD35-9BE2-4701-8766-BE06CFF95C13.jpeg

At first glance I wondered how there could me Marvel chipping on your repro. Now it just adds character. (thumbsu

On 10/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, Cushing Fan said:

That's how I got my AF15. Sold off my collection - a bunch of high grade early Silver Surfer appearances,  and bought an AF15. Now I'm rebuilding my old collection a book at a time.

Are you sure that selling off your early Surfer's in high grade, as opposed to some other books, was the best idea?  (shrug)

Aren't the uber HG copies of the early Silver Surfer issues touching near 6-figures now, with Silver Surfer 1 already at 6-figures in CGC 9.8.  :whatthe:

On 10/13/2021 at 2:42 AM, lou_fine said:

Are you sure that selling off your early Surfer's in high grade, as opposed to some other books, was the best idea?  (shrug)

Aren't the uber HG copies of the early Silver Surfer issues touching near 6-figures now, with Silver Surfer 1 already at 6-figures in CGC 9.8.  :whatthe:

My previous Surfer 1 was a CGC 9.0 as was my Fantastic Four 48. Always wanted a AH15 and bought it before the boom so that book already jumped in value.  Rebuilding my Surfer collection in CGC 7.5 and have most of the books already. 

maybe not. It just becomes a more exclusive club with the really ugly ones being accepted into the fold.  I see it still going up as long as the number of people who think there is profit in it continue to bid. I continue to think that profit, not love is a bad approach. 

Mine was great because there was no profit consideration. I had this dumb stupid thing that people thought was valuable. I did that once with a 1909 S VDB which I found in a roll of pennies in Marion Ohio. I was nine years old and it had mint luster. I sold it to my brother for $75 bucks which in 1959 was a lot of money. Then I won at blaclout bingo with a bunch of Blue haired ladies with doilies on their heads for luck and took that $75 bucks and bought a three legged buffalo nickel  mint. My luck ran out on that . It was just too tempting to spend the quarters. and then I sat on the beach reading comic books.  When you don't realize that what you happen do be doing at an exact moment, life is a lot less analyzed.   I never would have thought that reprint Marvel Spotlights would ever have any value at all. Wrong apparently. 

It's all a game . I'm sure glad these guys could draw and write fairly dumb stories. I loved every one of them.