• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

I really don't know. At the time the price was a "family" offer but in general I think that American coins after 1900 were a disappointment as were stamps if you wanted to compare them to the meteoric rise in memorabilia  Those rolls are really memorable for me. Our cousin was being installed in a very dubious military academy after his father's untimely death and we were back there in the family  transition. My mom would let us get 50 dollar bags of pennies and we would go through them taking out perceived value and then would pay her the difference at the end. We had gotten the bag and were in the back seat and the sky just opened up pounding rain on the roof. 

Even by 1959 it was work to get payout on sorting like that but this bank was a time vault. Very few of the pennies were newer than 1945. Most in the '20's and 30's.  More than plenty dating back to 1910 and all in very good or better condition. I've never seen another bag like that one. We did a bag of nickels as well and it had a lot of buffalo nickels but few that were not Philadelphia minting , so, not as rare. S mint was unusual to find in the east and that mint shut down in 55. It was a charmed life. Father knows Best sort of deal, except for my cousin. I always felt awful about that.. When we left, my aunt Jane gave the kids a big pile of comics to read going to California and we were back there doing it and my dad found out. He stopped the car and threw them all out.  So I have tragic stories as well. I remember Challengers of the unknown, Green Lantern, Worlds finest. People like my dad made comics worth what the are today. He would never throw out coins. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:54 AM, gadzukes said:

Just Curious..... what would this be worth now?

About 1.2K in XF40 (out of 70) condition for the San Francisco minted one, but could be more in a private transaction depending on strike, color, and other details other than wear.  .  

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/17/2021 at 3:56 PM, Pantodude said:

About 1.2K in XF40 (out of 70) condition for the San Francisco minted one.  

Jim sold them in the '70's. I remember the mint luster, a little blotchy. I have kept all of my stamps. I think they're fairly worthless. All British Oceania. 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, Glassman10 said:

Jim sold them in the '70's. I remember the mint luster, a little blotchy. I have kept all of my stamps. I think they're fairly worthless. All British Oceania. 

I remember getting into coins and stamps for awhile back then in my much younger days before I got into comic books.  :)

Much to my surprise and happily I must say, it's the comic books that have actually gone up in value to these stratospheric levels that nobody could have imagined or even dreamed of back then.  :banana:  :whee:

On 10/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, KCOComics said:

I can see the argument from both sides, but I do think this thread will be very infrequently updated without the price updates. 

When it costs as much as a new car to pick up a 1.8, the new buyers posting here will be fewer and fewer. 

On 10/10/2021 at 1:57 PM, Subby1938 said:

1000% agreed and that’s my point . It’s going to be a ghost town soon lol 

These threads were started to post acquisitions. Then the thread evolved into almost purely a financial thread.

I don't understand. Is there some need to make sure this thread (or any thread) stays near the top of a forum? ???

On 10/10/2021 at 5:30 PM, PKJ said:

I don’t think the issue was posting auction results, we did see people posting an update every time a bid was made on the auctions running. Folks would post an update, log into their other user account and repeat the same info.

Is it just me or are there two accounts by the same person posting things here? I thought I was just imagining it. lol

On 10/28/2021 at 1:46 AM, VintageComics said:

Is it just me or are there two accounts by the same person posting things here? I thought I was just imagining it. lol

You sir are not imagining. Others have pointed out as well. 

I'm going to join the club by association, since I find and locate the keys my friend owns - as well as handle all offers and selling for him too - so basically I use his money for comic collecting fun hunting, but he gets to keep em at his house (originally purchased on Ebay decades ago, but it was advertised as unrestored. It wasn't until he had it signed and graded that the restoration was noticed: Minor CT, tear seal, and some glue)

201307545_861870817785337_6032500066746439352_n-3.jpg.1cd6f3ca5463fae18dcab507b1e94e5e.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/29/2021 at 12:58 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm going to join the club by association, since I find and locate the keys my friend owns

Not so fast!  Shouldn't this be put to a unanimous vote or some other really burdensome hurdle?  :devil:

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, fishbone said:

similar story, not in comics but in hockey cards ... 12 year old me just loved this new superstar who arrived as an 18-year old Wayne Gretzky in 1980. We all played the "hockey card" game back then, fling your cards from distance at a wall and closest one wins all the cards (did you Americans do the same with baseball cards I wonder?).  Not good for your corners if you are hoping for an O-Pee-chee 79/80 card to go up into stratospheric values in 2021. Of course, no one thought of these things, but I knew I wasn't going to lose my pristine card of my new found hero Mr. Gretzky, so it always stayed in my shoe box of hockey cards.

So jump forward to 2021 and it's worth $30K+ now (?). And of course I still have it, and was actually able to meet him in 2013 , a thrill!  I want to say I was a 12-year old collecting genius, but I wasn't.  It was pure love and joy.   

I came into comics around the same time, specifically Spiderman. AF15 wasn't just out of reach then for me, I didn't even know of the book. I thought ASM#1 was the first Spidey.  AF#15 I had to buy at a premium compared to the 15cents off the shelf in 1962. Big money in 2006/07, but still not like what I'd have to pay now. Buy still was purchased out of a 12-year old's love and joy of Spidey. 

I don't know what happened to my Rookie Gretzky Card, but I certainly lost lots of hockey and baseball cards in the laundry, in the spokes of tires, and certainly flung them against the wall.

Edited by piper

On 10/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, NoMan said:

1. The Chinese are buying AF15s, driving the prices up, up, and up.

2. Many times buyers of mid-grad AF15s will go in halfs with their brother.

I’m not sure why you continue to harass me.  I don’t have dial ID I use the same ID on statueforum Subby1938, submariner thread on CBR is also Subby1938. You can check out my art collection on CAF under Miles Bless, I’m also on myslabbedcomics 

that should remove me from your stupid comments for good . 

Edited by Subby1938

On 10/29/2021 at 12:47 PM, piper said:

I don't know what happened to my Rookie Gretzky Card, but I certainly lost lots of hockey and baseball cards in the laundry, in the spokes of tires, and certainly flung them against the wall.

I remember when I declared to my friends I was only collecting comics. I stood at the top of the stairs in one friends house and flicked my cards down below. 

On 10/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, piper said:

NOOOOOOooooooooooooo! :cry:    And you are from Edmonton ! You must have met him numerous times, no ?

On 11/6/2021 at 7:21 AM, AnkurJ said:

A 1.8 blue label sale at $33,222 yesterday.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/931151?tzf=1

i will not be the first one to say that is insane. one of the problems with the lack of transparency and all these conflicts of interest ( metropolis owning cc, heritage listing and bidding on its own stuff) is that there are few ways to determine when auction sales are legit and when they're faked. outside of knowing who bought a book like that, i don't know how you can know what's real. though i do believe that it's probably a legit sale. 

Edited by alexgross.com