• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2022 at 8:11 PM, Kevin76 said:

2.0 on Heritage just went for $38,400, up from a previous $28,800 since October

but the REAL news is the coverless raw copy...looks like the floor for entry into the AF15 club is well over 10k (we can assume the cost for Spider-Man story pages from this to also continue to rise)

831021809_ScreenShot2022-01-09at8_19_23PM.thumb.png.61b228cfc37272c032db27161018a4b6.png

On 1/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

One day will be minimum 100k. Mark my word I know now seems insane but wait and see as AC1 and TEC27 will be 1$ million dollars in the same grade. AC1 may already be there.

I can definitely see it, it'll be a 100K for a 1.0, it's joining AC 1 and TEC 27  territory 

I'll take the under. If a 1.0 or a 2.0 become a $100K book in, say, the next 10 years I think the world is burning well before that. 

It would take severe hyperinflation for that to happen and in that case, the economy is done and nobody will care about comics.

I don't see how anyone can compare a common book like AF #15 to Tex #27 and Action #1. ???

On 1/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

You are to involved in the GA.

???

I spent a year without even going into the GA forum once and the MAJORITY of my sales are SA and BA. Maybe 5% of my sales are GA. 

You're wrong again. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/9/2022 at 10:23 PM, VintageComics said:

???

I spent a year without even going into the GA forum once and the MAJORITY of my sales are SA and BA. Maybe 5% of my sales are GA. 

You're wrong again. 

It's all about the popularity of the character, not how many are in circulation.  Hulk 181s in 9.8 are hitting 100K, is it hitting that cause it's common? Of course not. The rarest comics don't always win, How bad do people want an AF 15 (any grade) Answer is pretty bad. The hobby has been exploding the last 20 years and it's not "Club Jazz" anymore, it's Arena rock n' roll now but not quite Stadium size rock n' roll yet, but it'll get there as more and more comic related content is released 

On 1/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

You are to involved in the GA. AF15 is a top 3 with AC1 and TEC27 most people see that I guess you are in a minority. By the way most top heroes from the SA are more popular worldwide that most from the GA except say Batman.

Not a single hero in the GA comes even close to how popular Spiderman is except maybe Batman.

Uhhh what? You have books like Batman #1, TEC #27, Action #1, Superman #1, and you said AF #15 is a T3 book? ???

Yes, it’s broken a huge sale of $3.6M in a CGC 9.4 but it doesn’t even come close to any of those books IMO. I’ll say it’s the “King of the Silver Age” if anything. 

On 1/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, VintageComics said:

I'll take the under. If a 1.0 or a 2.0 become a $100K book in, say, the next 10 years I think the world is burning well before that. 

It would take severe hyperinflation for that to happen and in that case, the economy is done and nobody will care about comics.

I don't see how anyone can compare a common book like AF #15 to Tex #27 and Action #1. ???

Common with under 3000 copies? You can’t compare relics from 30/40s . Early SA from 1962 are not common . I seldom if ever see any for sale in shops anymore I live greater Toronto area and I may be in minority but in 2008 I could have bought 4.0 blue for 4000.00 Canadian . It’s going to happen 

How many copies of AF15 traded hands last year?  The past 5 years?

How many copies of AC1, Bat1, Cap1, TEC27 traded hands last year?

Very little opportunity for any collector to get one of those GA Mega keys.  Comparably, lots of opportunity to score an AF15.  For many, those GA books are virtually unobtainable whereas the AF15 could be had for a fraction of the price.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:42 AM, Chief1332 said:

How many copies of AF15 traded hands last year?  The past 5 years?

How many copies of AC1, Bat1, Cap1, TEC27 traded hands last year?

Very little opportunity for any collector to get one of those GA Mega keys.  Comparably, lots of opportunity to score an AF15.  For many, those GA books are virtually unobtainable whereas the AF15 could be had for a fraction of the price.

I can count on one hand how many people I personally know who own either an AC1, BT1, CAP1, TEC27 combined...whereas I'll need a pen and paper to give you a list of everyone I know that owns an AF15. If I'm asked to source a copy of AF15 for someone I know I can get at least a few potential people open to offers within a week, whereas the others - yikes.

Demand is there, and he is perhaps the most popular (at the moment), but I would hesitate to ever put AF15 on comparable grounds to these GA grails. I'm very curious at which price point will it take AF15 to hit for a good deal of collectors to cash out and we see a noticeable uptick in offering of copies on the market (as the majority of those holding the book are not what I would call wealthy collectors with extensive collections - they picked up the character due to being a favourite after lots of hard work and savings. My best friend insists he never ever wants to sell his AF15, but every week checks in with me to find out where it is price wise and if it is a good time to consider selling at a huge profit :D )  

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/9/2022 at 11:37 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Batman and Superman 1 are not first appearances they are worth more than AF15 but in my opinion more people want AF15. I still say the face of the hobby are AC1, TEC27 and AF15.

There are many baseball cards more expensive than the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle but that card is so iconic it is with a few others the face of the baseball card hobby.

Batman 1 is the first appearance of the joker, who,  in his own right is a top character in the hobby. 

Perhaps more people do want AF15 than Batman 1, but supply and demand is still a factor.  There is much lower supply. 

On 1/10/2022 at 5:27 AM, Subby1938 said:

Common with under 3000 copies? You can’t compare relics from 30/40s . Early SA from 1962 are not common . I seldom if ever see any for sale in shops anymore I live greater Toronto area and I may be in minority but in 2008 I could have bought 4.0 blue for 4000.00 Canadian . It’s going to happen 

3000 is the cgc census. Then you have other grading companies and raw books. I'm not sure what the real number is,  but it's likely much higher than 3k. 

That's not to say there isn't a level of scarcity, but it's common enough that with enough money,  you could buy a copy any night of the week. It's avaliable.

GA books like Bat1 and Cap1 you might only have a dozen or so available to buy per year. And when they come up everyone who wants one is paying attention. It creates a different playing field for those books.

And you can call them relics, but it's worth noting Spidey is only 21 years younger than Batman.  One is 80 years old,  the other 60.  We aren't exactly comparing the revolutionary War to WWII.  I'm not sure what the criteria for being a relic is,  but all those characters are still extremely relevant today. 

I love Spidey and I love AF15...I would love to own a nicer copy. But if I could pick any book in the hobby,  for me personally it wouldn't be in my top 5. Just personal preference. 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:37 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Batman and Superman 1 are not first appearances they are worth more than AF15 but in my opinion more people want AF15. I still say the face of the hobby are AC1, TEC27 and AF15.

In the GA forum many consider a Superman #1 to possibly be the 3rd most valuable comic, and you can't even buy a bird cage liner copy for under $100K, 

I just offered a CGC 3.5 for 3/4 million from a client and there was moderate interest from a few customers.

Tell me again how AF #15 is number 3?

On 1/10/2022 at 9:29 AM, VintageComics said:

In the GA forum many consider a Superman #1 to possibly be the 3rd most valuable comic, and you can't even buy a bird cage liner copy for under $100K, 

I just offered a CGC 3.5 for 3/4 million from a client and there was moderate interest from a few customers.

Tell me again how AF #15 is number 3?

Shut up Roy :baiting:56325FA1-37BE-47CA-BCC8-338EE5D28D97.thumb.jpeg.2276a0fbfe213d767e93acfce6c4160f.jpeg

Common with under 3000 copies?

There's MOST likely 1000's (and maybe 10,000's) of copies sitting raw out there. 

You can’t compare relics from 30/40s

Why is an 80 year old book a relic but a 60 year book isn't? That makes no sense. You DO realize that in the year 2000, the big GA keys were 60 year books, the same age that AF #15 is now. 

Early SA from 1962 are not common

They're less common than 1963 Marvels but they are not rare by any stretch of the imagination. 

You don't have to exaggerate the rarity of AF #15 to make it desirable. It's a very desirable book, and demand is outstripping supply but you can't make the argument that it's rare. It's just being held by collectors. 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, peewee22 said:

Shut up Roy :baiting:

The word 'likely' is an interesting word. lol

There is NO WAY an AF #15 is more valuable than some of the top GA keys. 

Now, the most valuable SA book? For sure. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, peewee22 said:

Shut up Roy :baiting:56325FA1-37BE-47CA-BCC8-338EE5D28D97.thumb.jpeg.2276a0fbfe213d767e93acfce6c4160f.jpeg

According to GPA, there are 32 copies of AF15 for sale, there may be single pages in that total.  That would be CGC graded copies only.  Pretty easy to find one and make a deal relative to the GA Mega keys.  There is 1 AC1 copy today, one coverless copy of BAT1, 0 copies of CAP1, and 1 copy of TEC27.  A solid argument could be made for supply pushing demand.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:39 AM, peewee22 said:

As much as I love Spider-Man as a character, I suspect if copies of AC1, TEC 27, Supes 1, Bats 1, Cap1 and many other Golden Age books were to come to auction in this kind of condition, they would sell for multiples of the price of this copy.  It's been discussed that a sale of the MH AC1 for $10 million was declined years ago, and is probably in the mid-$20 million range today at a minimum.  I think some here are allowing their love for this character to cloud their thinking machines.