• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 6:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

In fact, adjusting for inflation the AC #1 sold for slightly more than the recent AF15. Nobody should be thinking that Spider-Man is the most expensive book in the hobby right now only based on a recent public sales, and seems that it's Spidey fans who just want to clutch onto the technicality of the high recorded sale to be on top for a little while (it's nice for fans to have their fun) even though there are many other books that would clearly sell for more (or have, but not publicly or sold years ago so they have to do math for inflation) :D

The "top 4 graded, first to market and highest graded in 20 years" copy of superman 1 that just sold for a million dollars less recently tells me that spidey's current public record will be tougher to top than you think it will. (thumbsu

(Which is why I think you have a cadre of propagandists trying so hard to legitimate the "private 'sale'" of that Action 1.)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, Jaydogrules said:

The "top 4 graded, first to market and highest graded in 20 years" copy of superman 1 that just sold for a million dollars less recently tells me that spidey's current public record will be tougher to top than you think it will. (thumbsu

(Which is why I think you have a cadre of propagandists pushing so hard trying to push to legitimate the "private sale" of that Action 1.)

-J.

Superman #1 != Action Comics #1.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

In fact, adjusting for inflation the AC #1 sold for slightly more than the recent AF15. Nobody should be thinking that Spider-Man is the most expensive book in the hobby right now only based on a recent public sales, and seems that it's Spidey fans who just want to clutch onto the technicality of the high recorded sale to be on top for a little while (it's nice for fans to have their fun) even though there are many other books that would clearly sell for more (or have, but not publicly or sold years ago so they have to do math for inflation) :D

Yes I mentioned that above as well.  However if they do that it ruins the narrative and we want to move the goalposts so only AF15 is number 1 :banana: .  It's just like if you punch in all time movie revenue Titanic is number 3.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, Jaydogrules said:

(Which is why I think you have a cadre of propagandists trying so hard to legitimate the "private 'sale'" of that Action 1.)

-J.

bahahaha really you are trying to use a Superman 1 sale to Justify an AF15 sale.  What happens when an ASM1 sells for under 7 figures?

On 1/12/2022 at 7:39 AM, Iceman399 said:

bahahaha really you are trying to use a Superman 1 sale to Justify an AF15 sale.  What happens when an ASM1 sells for under 7 figures?

We ate back to speculating again.  

Would a top 4 ASM 1 sell for less than that ?

Doubtful.  Spider-man is exponentially bigger than Superman.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/12/2022 at 10:41 AM, Jaydogrules said:

We ate back to speculating again.  

Would a top 4 ASM 1 sell for less than that ?

Doubtful.  Spider-man is exponentially bigger than Superman.

-J.

Ok I'll rephrase if it sells for less than Superman 1 did who reigns #1 then?

On 1/12/2022 at 7:53 AM, Iceman399 said:

Ok I'll rephrase if it sells for less than Superman 1 did who reigns #1 then?

Still AF 15.

I think you are underestimating the various additional external circumstances that led to that record breaking price.  It wasn't just spider-man's overwhelming popularity.  There were also some "covid economics" in there, among with an unprecedented run up in the collectibles market, people looking to park crypto gains, a surge in international interest, etc.

A perfect storm, if you will, that will make that top price tough to beat, methinks.

-J.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Still AF 15.

I think you are underestimating the various additional external circumstances that led to that record breaking price.  It wasn't just spider-man's overwhelming popularity.  There were also some "covid economics" in there, among with an unprecedented run up in the collectibles market, people looking to park crypto gains, a surge in international interest, etc.

A perfect storm, if you will, that will make that top price tough to beat, methinks.

-J.

Until it's revealed that the PUBLIC auction house that "SOLD" the book, are also part of the group that "BOUGHT" the book so they could say they sold off the most expensive book (not adjusting for inflation).  I mean it's not like they haven't done that before :banana: 

Would that void the sale price or the idea that a book has to sell publicly to count?

On 1/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, Iceman399 said:

Until it's revealed that the PUBLIC auction house that "SOLD" the book, are also part of the group that "BOUGHT" the book so they could say they sold off the most expensive book (not adjusting for inflation).  I mean it's not like they haven't done that before :banana: 

Would that void the sale price or the idea that a book has to sell publicly to count?

Yeah, that is my main concern so I take any record breaking sale from Heritage with a grain of salt. They have done this before, as recently as buying the highest graded copy of Super Mario Brothers themselves (and then advertising that it sold for a record amount!!!) and holding it until it will be re-listed in a future featured auction.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:07 AM, Iceman399 said:

If it's fully disclosed (aka , public) there isn't an issue.  

Both Vinnie and Josh have done the same thing.

-J.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, Pantodude said:

This is all academic b/c IH1 is the One book to rule them all, One book to find them, One book to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.  It does have the darkest cover of the books discussed. (thumbsu 

It also does have objectivity pound-for-pound more Hulk than any other of these key issues. Superman at least is a hulky-boy, so that can count for at least a little hulk - but the rest. Not a single drop o' hulk! 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/12/2022 at 8:00 PM, VintageComics said:

You're usually wrong, but today you're more wrong than usual. lol

Yeah, let's just throw out an Action #1 in high grade, just to 'test the market'

The Superman #1 that just sold was a 7.0 and it went for $2.6MIL and there are several nicer copies both graded and in private collections. :facepalm:

The nicest Action #1 and Detective #27's would eclipse ANY AF#15 sale by MULTIPLES. That's an accepted fact among probably ALL seasoned collectors and dealers. The Dentist's books are priceless but I'd bet at Auction last year they'd break $10MIL easy. 

Even the 2nd nicest copies would eclipse that AF #15 sale. The Action #1s were close several years ago at $3.2 / $3.5 MIL or whatever they went for and they'd go for well over that now. Maybe double? Triple?

And then you have Cap #1 9.8, Marvel #1 (likely a 9.8), Superman #1, etc. 

You guys need to reel it in a bit. Yes, AF #15 is super cool. I love SA Marvels but I think the helicopter mentality is addictive and people don't know when to stop. 

Most seasoned guys can guess a range but whatever a top AF #15 sells for the top GA books will go for well over that range if not multiples, every time. That's a no brainer. Every time.

In fact, if an AF #15 sets a baseline, you can now guarantee that a top GA key WILL sell for more as the GA guys will just use that AF #15 as a multiplier to figure out what the top GA books should be worth. That's the reality.  

As always you're passing off your speculation and opinions as unassailable facts.

I only deal in facts and what's actually happened, not what "might" happen or what something "could" be. 

I know you fancy yourself an "all knowing comic guru", but I frankly couldn't  care less about your opinions on anything, you lost all your credibility years ago when you claimed the sale of a mid grade AF 15  is what triggered the last run up in prices as opposed to the 9.0 that actually did..  :eyeroll: But if a high grade GA comic , other than the Superman 7.0 that literally just sold , does come out in the near future and blows away 3.6 million, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.   (thumbsu

Spidey rules.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/12/2022 at 11:05 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Why are we comparing AC1 and TEC27 we all know those 2 will always be worth more you learn that the 1st week in comic school.

AF15 is just as important in the comic world as those 2 books that is not the same as equal value.

Are you serious?  Maybe pay attention to some of the nonsense being said in this thread, instead of pretending you have no idea that yes, there are people claiming that AF 15 either is, or is on its way to being, on par with or even more valuable than those books.

Even if you personally don't believe that, just from what I've quoted above you seem to think that AF 15 is "just as important" as Action 1.  I'm the biggest Marvel guy there is and I don't even touch DC comics and even I know that is just an insane thing to say.

Frankly this thread has become a dumpster fire and I'm not sure why I'm even clicking into it any more, except that it's hard to look away from a dumpster fire.

Is MJ is (more) important  than Wilt or Bill ? Time has a way of revising "facts". Spiderman is definitely way more popular than Supes now, tho AC1 is the big bang of the comicverse.  Rly thinks its reasonable to say that AF15 is as important, just perhaps in its relatability and commercial appeal. 

On 1/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, Jaydogrules said:

As always you're passing off your speculation and opinions as unassailable facts.

I only deal in facts and what's actually happened, not what "might" happen or what something "could" be. 

I know you fancy yourself an "all knowing comic guru", but I frankly couldn't  care less about your opinions on anything, you lost all your credibility years ago when you claimed the sale of a mid grade AF 15  is what triggered the last run up in prices as opposed to the 9.0 that actually did..  :eyeroll: But if a high grade GA comic , other than the Superman 7.0 that literally just sold , does come out in the near future and blows away 3.6 million, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.   (thumbsu

Spidey rules.   

-J.

It’s already happened, so sit tight.  And on another topic, what’s the basis for so many stating that Heritage bought the 9.6 AF15?  Clearly a few here have a Halperin itch they love to scratch every chance they get, but is there any hard truth to this? Or just that he must have cause he has the funds and buys collectibles?