• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, NoMan said:

Nah, I’m working on my Shoney’s/Bob’s Big Boy run. 1st issue Everett cover. (1955). Stan Lee stories. Variants for East Coast - West Coast covers. 

Promo comics are the next thing. AF15 is really a fading star  Bob’s Big Boy promo comics are very rare  

:screwy:

On 10/25/2022 at 12:02 AM, lou_fine said:

Wowza, half a million bucks, let alone a full million for a 8.5 graded copy of AF 15.  :whatthe:

I still remember it wasn't that long ago when boardies here were laughing at the know nothing fool of a buyer who had picked up a verified signed Stan "The Man" Lee 8.5 graded copy for under 6-figures at something like a 30% or $35K discount to condition guide saying that they were not only going to lose their pants, but also their top and underwear at the same time for buying this surely overgraded POS copy since it was certified by the boys across the street.  (:  :takeit:

It was signed by SL on page 16. Not technically “verified,” but yeah it was SL. (Signed at convention in the 70s by original owner “Crazy Charley,” who bought it on newsstand. Signature reads: “For my friend! Sincerely, Stan Lee”. And it ain’t no scrawl signature like his later stuff. You can actually read it). It sold at HA in fall 2015 (in guys across the street slab) for about 75k. Owner was world famous lock & pop dancer Magik Woo ( who bought it from “Crazy Charley”). New Buyer cracked and sent to CGC. Still came back 8.5. (Blue label)…

…THEN some incredibly stupid, ignorant no-nothing bought it at HA auction In February 2016 (while on the plains of Tanzania, Africa) for 150k (including juice).

It is slightly over graded. I’d give it an 8.3 or 8.3 1/2 if such a grade was available.

The date stamp makes it for me. This baby was out in the real word, real newsstands so very, very long ago.

E087EEF8-3B89-416C-A322-A0A721E6831A.jpeg

Edited by NoMan

On 11/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, NoMan said:

It was signed by SL on page 16. Not technically “verified,” but yeah it was SL. (Signed at convention in the 70s by original owner “Crazy Charley,” who bought it on newsstand. Signature reads: “For my friend! Sincerely, Stan Lee”. And it ain’t no scrawl signature like his later stuff. You can actually read it). It sold at HA in fall 2015 2016 (in guys across the street slab) for about 75k. Owner was world famous lock & pop dancer Magik Woo ( who bought it from “Crazy Charley”). New Buyer cracked and sent to CGC. Still came back 8.5. (Blue label)…

…THEN some incredibly stupid, ignorant no-nothing bought it at HA auction In February 2016 2017 (while on the plains of Tanzania, Africa) for 150k (including juice).

It is slightly over graded. I’d give it an 8.3 or 8.3 1/2 if such a grade was available

Fixed the timing in your post for you as you are out by one year on both parts of the transaction. (thumbsu

Anyways, big congrats to you on taking the leap and picking up this copy of AF 15 at just the right time back at the start of 2017 just before the book took off like a rocket into the stratosphere.  :applause:

You are clearly no incredibly stupid, ignorant know-nothing buyer as recent history would clearly confirmed for us here.  Just found it rather kind of ironic that so many boardies here held that exact opinion for the original buyer who was pegged as being a big fool for picking up what was surely an overgraded POS book for some $77K and then somehow then deemed to be an even bigger fool for selling it too cheaply a few months later for what was surely an undervlaued $155K.  (:

Yes, it was verified by the boys across the street as a signed 8.5 graded copy and then given the same CGC universal grade of 8.5 with the Graders Notes indicating a "writing bottom of page(s) 16" defect.  Not sure if Stan's signature and note to Charley extended over to the interior back cover as the notes also indicated a "writing bottom of interior back cover" defect.  Does this mean that CGC would have actually graded the book higher than 8.5 if they had viewed Stan's writing as a verified signature (which CBCS clearly did) and not as a writing defect?  hm  (shrug)

On 11/4/2022 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Fixed the timing in your post for you as you are out by one year on both parts of the transaction. (thumbsu

Anyways, big congrats to you on taking the leap and picking up this copy of AF 15 at just the right time back at the start of 2017 just before the book took off like a rocket into the stratosphere.  :applause:

You are clearly no incredibly stupid, ignorant know-nothing buyer as recent history would clearly confirmed for us here.  Just found it rather kind of ironic that so many boardies here held that exact opinion for the original buyer who was pegged as being a big fool for picking up what was surely an overgraded POS book for some $77K and then somehow then deemed to be an even bigger fool for selling it too cheaply a few months later for what was surely an undervlaued $155K.  (:

Yes, it was verified by the boys across the street as a signed 8.5 graded copy and then given the same CGC universal grade of 8.5 with the Graders Notes indicating a "writing bottom of page(s) 16" defect.  Not sure if Stan's signature and note to Charley extended over to the interior back cover as the notes also indicated a "writing bottom of interior back cover" defect.  Does this mean that CGC would have actually graded the book higher than 8.5 if they had viewed Stan's writing as a verified signature (which CBCS clearly did) and not as a writing defect?  hm  (shrug)

Are you sure about the dates? I gotta check. Yeah, think about it: Magik Woo sells it for 77k and 3 MONTHS LATER  new buyer sells for 150k making a cool 75 grand!

Edited by NoMan

On 11/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, NoMan said:

Are you sure about the dates? I gotta check. Yeah, think about it: Magik Woo sells it for 77k and 3 MONTHS LATER  new buyer sells for 150k making cool 75 grand!

Yes, 100% sure about the dates unless the Heritage auction archives are incorrect which I would highly doubt, as evident by this link to your purchase:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7158-91123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I guess time flies and the years goes by quickly, especially when you are having fun and after a big win.  (thumbsu

BTW:  Any idea if the other HG Spidey's from Magik's collection also came from this "Crazy Charley" guy since I remember Magik saying that he thought his CBCS 9.8 graded copy of Spidey 14 would end up going for more than his copy of Suspense Comics 3?  :whatthe:   He based this upon his POV that Spidey 14 was such a big key SA book and there were still no certified 9.8 copies out there at the time that his copy was graded and some 50+ years after the book had first come out.  hm

On 11/5/2022 at 12:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, 100% sure about the dates unless the Heritage auction archives are incorrect which I would highly doubt, as evident by this link to your purchase:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7158-91123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I guess time flies and the years goes by quickly, especially when you are having fun and after a big win.  (thumbsu

BTW:  Any idea if the other HG Spidey's from Magik's collection also came from this "Crazy Charley" guy since I remember Magik saying that he thought his CBCS 9.8 graded copy of Spidey 14 would end up going for more than his copy of Suspense Comics 3?  :whatthe:   He based this upon his POV that Spidey 14 was such a big key SA book and there were still no certified 9.8 copies out there at the time that his copy was graded and some 50+ years after the book had first come out.  hm

I only know about his AF15 coming from Crazy Charley. I enjoyed researching the provenance of the book. 

I do have this issue of CGC’s The Intelligent Collector that has an interview with Woo. I’ll check it out and see if he mentions any of his other books. 

40BDBDFE-89A8-4C5E-9812-DB2FE1A55EB5.jpeg

Edited by NoMan

On 11/4/2022 at 11:27 PM, NoMan said:

It was signed by SL on page 16. Not technically “verified,” but yeah it was SL. (Signed at convention in the 70s by original owner “Crazy Charley,” who bought it on newsstand. Signature reads: “For my friend! Sincerely, Stan Lee”. And it ain’t no scrawl signature like his later stuff. You can actually read it). It sold at HA in fall 2015 (in guys across the street slab) for about 75k. Owner was world famous lock & pop dancer Magik Woo ( who bought it from “Crazy Charley”). New Buyer cracked and sent to CGC. Still came back 8.5. (Blue label)…

…THEN some incredibly stupid, ignorant no-nothing bought it at HA auction In February 2016 (while on the plains of Tanzania, Africa) for 150k (including juice).

It is slightly over graded. I’d give it an 8.3 or 8.3 1/2 if such a grade was available.

The date stamp makes it for me. This baby was out in the real word, real newsstands so very, very long ago.

That's beautiful!  Appreciate the provence as well. 

With how often these big books change hands, it's rare to be able to track them all the way back to the OO

On 11/5/2022 at 9:15 PM, Cushing Fan said:

boy that's a disappointingly lame copy for having belonged to ditko!

On 11/7/2022 at 11:08 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

It actually looks exactly like what I pictured a Ditko copy to look like. xD

Right?  Agree 100%.  Why would anyone expect Ditko to take good care of a comic book?

Other than Bill Gaines file copies, are there any known examples of comic book professionals whose personal copies were kept in truly excellent condition?

On 11/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Yeah, you would think the book would be in great condition like a file copy.

actually i think its spot on with what we would expect a ditko copy would be, as he probably either handled and opened that copy a lot.. maybe to reference work from or to improve etc.. if he tossed it in some bin and was just didn't care i would expect it to be like a mid to high grade as then it wouldn't be missing a page and have this grade..

just my two cents any ways

On 11/7/2022 at 8:10 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Other than Bill Gaines file copies, are there any known examples of comic book professionals whose personal copies were kept in truly excellent condition?

Well, apparently Dave Sim tried to take the same Bill Gaines approach with respect to Cerebus 1.  :gossip:

The only problem is that virtually the entire print run of 2,000 copies was the victim of a pisss poor crapola print job with the classic spine ticks running down all of the copies.  Supposedly Sim himself went through the entire 2,000 print run before they were shipped out to look for the 10 best copies for himself and these are the signature copies that he did ack in the day, with a couple of CGC 9.4's being the best of the bunch.  :(

Edited by lou_fine