• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Likely my only post, but I thought my story might be interesting for folks here.

My story:

I got into collecting comics when I was a kid in the 80s (first comics were the Secret Wars Series). I was exclusively Marvel. I was a middle-class kid with paper routes, but I spent almost all the money I made on comics. I had all the Avengers after about #100 (including West Coast). When I thought I new comic was worth collecting, I would get multiple copies. I would go to garage sales and flea markets looking for old comics. My best finds were a tattered copy of Avengers #4, and pretty good condition copies of Avengers #16 and Spectacular Spiderman #1.

I stopped collecting at some point in high school, but still kept all of those old comics (in boxes in my parent's house to this day).

Flashforward to a few weeks ago.

I have done very well for myself financially. Between my wife and I, we bring in more than $500K/year. We still live a pretty middle class life (albeit with more travel than most people, and a better view from our condo - which we rent). When I paid off my student debt I made a single "extravagant" purchase to commemorate the moment. In the next few months I expect to have another significant financial event happen (one time payment of low 7-figures). Even though we do well, this will be a very big event in our life - comparable to finishing the student debt - and the culmination of a lot of very hard work (and luck) over a large number of years.

My wife suggested I buy something the same way I did with my student debt.

The issue is we don't really want for anything, and we don't have extravagant tastes. Until recently I was driving a 15 year old car. I enjoy wine, but do not appreciate expensive wine.

So my wife suggested maybe we get a piece of unique art? (We just have your photography on the walls)

I started explore art, but I've never loved it. And I assume my lack of "caring" combined with ignorance would likely just take us to the cleaners. I'm fine with prints.

Then I read an article in "The National Post" (a Canadian newspaper) about a month ago. It was about collecting "blue chip" comic books as an investment. I had my idea.

Since I read only Marvel growing up, golden age has no appeal to me. I was drawn instantly to AF15. For a variety of reasons:

- The most valuable book of the era

- Spiderman is the most iconic hero of the era - and the example I always used growing up of a "good construction" protagonist (vs. those silly DC characters)

- His first appearance is not in a #1. So it's a little esoteric for non-comic nerds. But obvious value for those in the know

Unlike art, I am interested in comics. I could dive into this to make sure I wasn't taken to the cleaners (and the act of buying will be FUN. Unlike a traditional piece of art).

My original thought was I would pick up "rough shape" copy for about $10,000, and put it on the wall in a nice museum-quality frame. It would be a great talking piece and a nice thig to commemorate the financial win-fall.

I don't really care about future value of the issue. I can't imagine being in financial straights again and needed to sell. So it will just sit on my wall for the rest of my life to remember that moment. Hopefully I get my kids to care about comics enough that at least one of them will want it to remember their dad when I pass away. And , while I want to get my kids set up for success, I have no interest in giving them enough money that they never work. So if they don't want it and I die, it likely just gets sold at an estate auction and the money goes to a charity,

That said, I don't want to feel dumb by buying something now that drops in value next year (if nothing else I will be made fun of by my wife. And the "cache" of having it on my wall goes down)

So I started digging in.

My take as an outsider:

- There are a LOT of copies of AF15

- But there are VERY few copies at 8.0+

- Given the "super hero craze" right now, we are likely at a natural high

- I expect super heroes to last for a long time. Disney owns Marvel and they are very good custodians. They are in it for the long haul

- But it doesn't mean it won't wane. It will. Lion King is still around, but it's not as popular as at it's peak

- That said, while minor characters may come and go, I expect Spiderman (and Superman and Batman), to continue to sit at the top of the hierarchy

- My understanding is these blockbusters do very well internationally. So I think there is a bunch of middle class kids in China who are growing up with superheroes. Their parents have no attachment to Captain America and Spiderman - but they do. When those kids grow up, they will have nostalgia for these characters the same way Americans my age do now

- The open question is, will they have nostalgia for the actual COMIC BOOKS or just the characters they see on the screen. It feels like they will still want to origin. But I could be totally wrong about that.

Where I have landed:

If I am going to buy this book, I think my original plan of getting a tattered $10K copy doesn't make sense. It wouldn't look great on the wall, and I'm not convinced it will hold it's value. I am more confident that an 8+ will hold the value (very limited supply and increasing demand over time). The question is, am I willing to spend $100K+ to get a copy that nice. I think I am, but I go back and forth on making this purchase. I don't like that prices have spiked in the last few months (what terrible timing to start thinking about this!) But again: I don't think short term fluctuations matter that much to me.

I also feel that if I want to spend little more than $100K for an 8.0 I better go fast. I don't like being in a rush. (Especially as I need to get my wife used to the idea. $10K she is okay with. $100K.... We will see....)

This board has been helpful to me as I think through the decision. Thank you.

I just thought I would return the favor a little to give you insight into what a new buyer in this market might be thinking. I don't think I will buy that 8.0 going up for auction next month (my "financial event" won't have gone through before the auction is done - and there is NO WAY my wife will let me spend before that deal is 100% complete and the money is in the bank), but I will be watching it very closely. I expect I will go to some comic conventions this summer for the first time since I was about 14 - mainly to see what different grading levels look like in person. Then I need to make a call on if I splurge on the next 8.0 that comes up, or I settle for a nice-looking 5 or 6 that may not hold it's value as well - but will be a lot less money just sitting on the wall....

If nothing else I am enjoying the process, and it's been fun to talk about with close friends (and generally only close friends who are or were comic nerds)

The other two thoughts I had was building a small collection (likely at lower grades). I was thinking either:

(1) First appearances of the silver age bunch (both valuable ones like Ironman and The Hulk - but also less valuable like The Inhumans, Hawkeye and Mockingbird)

(2) First meetings between Spiderman and different folks

What's interesting is that I am pretty sure I could get my entire list of either #1 or #2 at say 6.0 gradings and pay less than a single copy of AF15 at an 8.0.....

Thanks again. I will continue to read this thread daily until I fish or cut bait.

AnonymousAF15,

thank you for your story!

it actually validates to some extent, my theory that comics, coins and a few other collectible categories are functioning as alternatives to fine art as a hard asset investment.

It doesn't take very many new buyers to affect the demand curve & pricing as at any given time, only a % of the overall books are on the market.

I don't necessarily agree that the popularity of superheroes has peaked though, simply because, as you point out, there is potentially huge upside growth in foreign markets due to the huge popularity of American superhero films overseas (China and elsewhere)

4 hours ago, bringsenseback said:

It's ironic you point out 2008. I stopped collecting when I was a teen. I hauled around 2 long boxes of premiere stuff for years  (Spawn #1, Death of Sup, Gen 13 #1, Wolvie Mini #1).  In 2008, my buddy got me back into collecting. I was nearly 30 at the time. A few searches on eBay and my jaw dropped...not because my Gen 13 wasn't a $50 book anymore, but because comics were everywhere at astronomical prices  (when compared to 15 years prior). And this crazy encapsulation, 3rd party grading system??? What was this all about? The bug hit me and I dove in head first. But being an E-6 in the military at the time and trying to support a family, ASM 300, Hulk 181, GSX 1, etc, were about the most I could afford. I fell in love with Spidey again, though. ASM 1 in about a 6.0 was a few grand. AF15 became my grail of grails, a 4.0 was about 4K if I remember correctly. Fast forwarding nearly 10 years, I'm making considerably more income, but the price equivalent of AF15 compared to the increase in my income has left me in about the same place. lol I was able to finally acquire my AF15, though (thanks Bob!). No point to my story. Just wanted to reminisce. Have a great day, Roy.

Nice story Jason.

21 hours ago, VintageComics said:
On 5/1/2017 at 0:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Roy;

As you have said many times before, you cannot really grade a book simply from just a front and back cover scan.  I fully agree with your point that you need to have the actual book in hand in order to grade it properly.

So, how would potential bidders for a book be able to determine if a particular book is "upgradeable" or possibly have upgrade potential if they do not have not seen the actual book in question?  Is it simply nothing more than a best guess based upon what they are seeing on the covers or do they do it in combination with the Grader's Notes in order to hopefully provide them with more information?  hm

You can view the books in hand.

I viewed some of the Metro books (including the AF #15 CGC 9.0) in hand when I was in NYC the week before the auction ended.

Although some buyers will buy just based on scans and grading notes.

Roy;

Unfortunately, not everybody can afford to have your jet-setting lifestyle and be able to fly around the entire continent in order to view books in person.  lol

Since I am on the other coast and can't afford to flit around the country like you, I guess I will just have to suffer along with only scans and Grader's Notes for now.  :cry:

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since I am on the other coast and can't afford to flit around the country like you, I guess I will just have to suffer along with only scans and Grader's Notes for now.  :cry:

I can't afford it either. That's why I do it for a job and not a hobby. :blush:

6 hours ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

Likely my only post, but I thought my story might be interesting for folks here.

Welcome to the Boards here.  :hi:

An absolutely amazing and very thoughtful first post from you and hopefully not your only post here.  Especially since it's always good to get an outsider's opinion of our marketplace.  (thumbsu

I have done very well for myself financially. Between my wife and I, we bring in more than $500K/year. We still live a pretty middle class life (albeit with more travel than most people, and a better view from our condo - which we rent).

Since you and your wife are financially stable, I am a bit shocked that you would still be renting as opposed to owning your own place.  Especially with the way real estate is going and depending upon your location of course, real estate would definitely appreciate at a much faster and safer rate than AF 15's, especially if you throw in the use of leverage which you cannot really do when purchasing a comic book.

I also feel that if I want to spend little more than $100K for an 8.0 I better go fast. I don't like being in a rush. (Especially as I need to get my wife used to the idea. $10K she is okay with. $100K.... We will see....)

A word of warning here:  If you are looking for a 8.0 graded copy or better and you are thinking more in terms of next year, it will most likely cost you more than $100K at this point in the game.  So, you should start working on your wife as soon as possible.  lol

Either way, it looks like you are giving it a lot of thought and I am sure you will end up making the right decision in the end.  (thumbsu

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, I get it now........you are getting me, the poor taxpayer, to pay for your jet-setting flights around the continent, along with your posh hotels and lavish meals.  :baiting:  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Since you and your wife are financially stable, I am a bit shocked that you would still be renting as opposed to owning your own place.  Especially with the way real estate is going and depending upon your location of course, real estate would definitely appreciate at a much faster and safer rate than AF 15's, especially if you throw in the use of leverage which you cannot really do when purchasing a comic book.

If someone can afford to live in a condo and earn more money than they need, why would they have any interest in the hassles that go with owning a home?

31 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If someone can afford to live in a condo and earn more money than they need, why would they have any interest in the hassles that go with owning a home?

Wow,  not only the new Comic Oracle of Canada, the Oracle of Gold but now Oracle of Real Estate.  Damn,  the Matrix is exploding today.  The Oracle of October better step up his game 

19 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Wow,  not only the new Comic Oracle of Canada, the Oracle of Gold but now Oracle of Real Estate.  Damn,  the Matrix is exploding today.  The Oracle of October better step up his game 

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As the Oracle of Omaha would say:  And this is coming from a guy living in a city where home prices have shot up from 30% to 40% over the past 12 months alone.  :baiting:

I guess you must be trying to catch up to all of the homeless people here on the Left Coast who can no longer afford to live in their own city anymore.  :cry:

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Roy: What is the  AF #15's power?  Control. The AF #15's ever increasing value is a computer-generated collector's dream world built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into this. [holds up a $100 bill]
CGC forum members: No, I don't believe it. It's not possible.
Roy: I didn't say it would be easy boys. I just said it would be the truth.

14 hours ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

My story:

I got into collecting comics when I was a kid in the 80s (first comics were the Secret Wars Series). I was exclusively Marvel. I was a middle-class kid with paper routes, but I spent almost all the money I made on comics. I had all the Avengers after about #100 (including West Coast). When I thought I new comic was worth collecting, I would get multiple copies. I would go to garage sales and flea markets looking for old comics. My best finds were a tattered copy of Avengers #4, and pretty good condition copies of Avengers #16 and Spectacular Spiderman #1.

I stopped collecting at some point in high school, but still kept all of those old comics (in boxes in my parent's house to this day).

I have done very well for myself financially. Between my wife and I, we bring in more than $500K/year. We still live a pretty middle class life (albeit with more travel than most people, and a better view from our condo - which we rent). When I paid off my student debt I made a single "extravagant" purchase to commemorate the moment. In the next few months I expect to have another significant financial event happen (one time payment of low 7-figures). Even though we do well, this will be a very big event in our life - comparable to finishing the student debt - and the culmination of a lot of very hard work (and luck) over a large number of years.

The issue is we don't really want for anything, and we don't have extravagant tastes. Until recently I was driving a 15 year old car. I enjoy wine, but do not appreciate expensive wine.

So my wife suggested maybe we get a piece of unique art? (We just have your photography on the walls)

I started explore art, but I've never loved it. And I assume my lack of "caring" combined with ignorance would likely just take us to the cleaners. I'm fine with prints.

Then I read an article in "The National Post" (a Canadian newspaper) about a month ago. It was about collecting "blue chip" comic books as an investment. I had my idea.

Since I read only Marvel growing up, golden age has no appeal to me. I was drawn instantly to AF15. For a variety of reasons:

- Spiderman is the most iconic hero of the era - and the example I always used growing up of a "good construction" protagonist (vs. those silly DC characters)

- His first appearance is not in a #1. So it's a little esoteric for non-comic nerds. But obvious value for those in the know

Unlike art, I am interested in comics. I could dive into this to make sure I wasn't taken to the cleaners (and the act of buying will be FUN. Unlike a traditional piece of art).

My original thought was I would pick up "rough shape" copy for about $10,000, and put it on the wall in a nice museum-quality frame. It would be a great talking piece and a nice thig to commemorate the financial win-fall.

I don't really care about future value of the issue. I can't imagine being in financial straights again and needed to sell. So it will just sit on my wall for the rest of my life to remember that moment. Hopefully I get my kids to care about comics enough that at least one of them will want it to remember their dad when I pass away. And , while I want to get my kids set up for success, I have no interest in giving them enough money that they never work. So if they don't want it and I die, it likely just gets sold at an estate auction and the money goes to a charity,

That said, I don't want to feel dumb by buying something now that drops in value next year (if nothing else I will be made fun of by my wife. And the "cache" of having it on my wall goes down)

So I started digging in.

My take as an outsider:

- I expect super heroes to last for a long time. Disney owns Marvel and they are very good custodians. They are in it for the long haul

- But it doesn't mean it won't wane. It will. Lion King is still around, but it's not as popular as at it's peak

- That said, while minor characters may come and go, I expect Spiderman (and Superman and Batman), to continue to sit at the top of the hierarchy

- My understanding is these blockbusters do very well internationally. So I think there is a bunch of middle class kids in China who are growing up with superheroes. Their parents have no attachment to Captain America and Spiderman - but they do. When those kids grow up, they will have nostalgia for these characters the same way Americans my age do now

- The open question is, will they have nostalgia for the actual COMIC BOOKS or just the characters they see on the screen. It feels like they will still want to origin. But I could be totally wrong about that.

Where I have landed:

If I am going to buy this book, I think my original plan of getting a tattered $10K copy doesn't make sense. It wouldn't look great on the wall, and I'm not convinced it will hold it's value. I am more confident that an 8+ will hold the value (very limited supply and increasing demand over time). The question is, am I willing to spend $100K+ to get a copy that nice. I think I am, but I go back and forth on making this purchase. I don't like that prices have spiked in the last few months (what terrible timing to start thinking about this!) But again: I don't think short term fluctuations matter that much to me.

I just thought I would return the favor a little to give you insight into what a new buyer in this market might be thinking. I don't think I will buy that 8.0 going up for auction next month (my "financial event" won't have gone through before the auction is done - and there is NO WAY my wife will let me spend before that deal is 100% complete and the money is in the bank), but I will be watching it very closely. I expect I will go to some comic conventions this summer for the first time since I was about 14 - mainly to see what different grading levels look like in person. Then I need to make a call on if I splurge on the next 8.0 that comes up, or I settle for a nice-looking 5 or 6 that may not hold it's value as well - but will be a lot less money just sitting on the wall....

If nothing else I am enjoying the process, and it's been fun to talk about with close friends (and generally only close friends who are or were comic nerds)

The other two thoughts I had was building a small collection (likely at lower grades). I was thinking either:

(1) First appearances of the silver age bunch (both valuable ones like Ironman and The Hulk - but also less valuable like The Inhumans, Hawkeye and Mockingbird)

What's interesting is that I am pretty sure I could get my entire list of either #1 or #2 at say 6.0 gradings and pay less than a single copy of AF15 at an 8.0.....

Thanks again. I will continue to read this thread daily until I fish or cut bait.

I suggest you contact Ed Jaster or Barry Sandoval at Heritage and Vincent Zurzolo at Metropolis.  Explain to them that you're prepared to spend $100,000 on an AF 15 and you want the best copy for the price.  Then see where this path takes you. 

15 hours ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

My story:

So I started digging in.

My take as an outsider:

Where I have landed:

Comparing Spidey to The Lion King.....hahahaha.....that is mostly just a kids thing on the other hand Spidey is for almost any age group!! By the way when you say there are a lot of AF15's that is not the case.....once you hit CGC 6.0 and higher the population in each grade is much lower compared to 5.5 and lower (yes there are a lot of them in the wild that have yet to be graded but it is most likely the same scenario with those.....and the market can and will absorb these books as mentioned by some very well know dealers on this site). There is a AF15 CGC 8.0 coming up for auction on ComicLink but I doubt you will get it for 100 000$ (but if you do then congrats)....a CGC 7.5 just sold on ComicConnect a few days ago for over 102 000$. I would contact Josh (owner) at ComicLink and see if he can locate one for you and you can also ask some members/dealers here like Gator.....I am sure there other members here that can point you in other directions as well.

Link:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1178499&id=1178499

If you are open minded maybe a key golden age book in mid to lower grade would also do for you.....you can get a really important book from that time period for 100 000$. But if Spidey is your thing then yes go after a AF15 in the highest grade you can get. Another option would be to buy a key GA book and a mid grade AF15.....those key GA books are also in very high  demand as well as being rarer than SA books. Can't go wrong either with a mid grade AF15 and a mid grade Hulk 1.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

By the way when you say there are a lot of AF15's that is not the case.....once you hit CGC 6.0 and higher the population in each grade is much lower compared to 5.5 and lower

I believe this is exactly what he said in his post, as seen below:  :gossip:

16 hours ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

My take as an outsider:

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No he said 8.0 and higher and I said 6.0 and higher.....that is two full grades he does not seem to consider as having a lower population. The CGC population report show a major decrease in 6.0 and higher for AF15.

Edited by SC22

22 minutes ago, SC22 said:
40 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No he said 8.0 and higher and I said 6.0 and higher.....that is two full grades he does not seem to consider as having a lower population. The CGC population report show a major decrease in 6.0 and higher for AF15.

Now, either I am not reading the numbers right or it's really just a case of relativity.

I would tend to agree with the original poster who states that there are very few copies at 8.0+.  If you take a look at the census, there are only a total of 47 graded copies in all condition grades from 8.0 and up.

You state that the major decrease starts at 6.0 which I don't really agree with since there are 56 copies in the 6.0 grade itself (or more than all of the 8.0+ grade levels combined) plus a further 56 copies in 6.5 graded condition.  In fact, the CGC census population report indicates a total of almost 200 graded copies from the 6.0 through to 7.5 condition grades.

Based upon these census numbers alone, I would definitely agree with the original poster in terms of the true decrease in supply starting off at the CGC 8.0 condition grade levels.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Now, either I am not reading the numbers right or it's really just a case of relativity.

I would tend to agree with the original poster who states that there are very few copies at 8.0+.  If you take a look at the census, there are only a total of 47 graded copies in all condition grades from 8.0 and up.

You state that the major decrease starts at 6.0 which I don't really agree with since there are 56 copies in the 6.0 grade itself (or more than all of the 8.0+ grade levels combined) plus a further 56 copies in 6.5 graded condition.  In fact, the CGC census population report indicates a total of almost 200 graded copies from the 6.0 through to 7.5 condition grades.

Based upon these census numbers alone, I would definitely agree with the original poster in terms of the true decrease in supply starting off at the CGC 8.0 condition grade levels.  (thumbsu

Put that way yes.