• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I believe the idea comes from the coin market

Coins not only have a much finer grading scale (62, 62, 64, 65 etc, rather than 9.2/9.4/9.6) I believe some companies use markings to designate pieces that are exceptional for the grade. I know Voldemart does something similar as well on their comics.

It's just another way for internet buyers to differentiate books when they either can't hold them in hand or don't know how to grade themselves.

I don't see any harm in it. I do see it potentially achieving stronger prices (although not necessarily every time).

And like @comicquant said regarding sports cards, I think it would work better for cards and coins as you can see the front and back of the coin/card whereas you can't see the inside of a slabbed book so it would seem this is based solely on what they see on the back and front covers, therefore omitting a big part of the comic book - maybe grader's note would help them but who knows if they consult them and even if they do, it's not the same as grading a raw comic.

On 2017-5-22 at 3:29 AM, porcupine48 said:

Fine,i'll be on topic for once.

Here's my 1.5 -finally found a photo of it.It's beat but it's mine!

48514f0c-c143-4848-9dec-106f37b2abb8_zps

Lovely Jim, lovely!

A 1.5 15. Nice symmetry to it :cloud9:

27 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

And like @comicquant said regarding sports cards, I think it would work better for cards and coins as you can see the front and back of the coin/card whereas you can't see the inside of a slabbed book so it would seem this is based solely on what they see on the back and front covers, therefore omitting a big part of the comic book - maybe grader's note would help them but who knows if they consult them and even if they do, it's not the same as grading a raw comic.

It's not an "add-on" to the grade at all, it's simply an eye appeal evaluation. It would be useful on all those books that sell for more than their similarly-graded counterparts because they look so much better (perfectly centered, good color, no marvel chips, no writing or date stamps, etc.,.).

Read all about application of an eye appeal evaluation in the coin market - "NGC assigns its trademarked Star * Designation to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade."

Edited by drbanner

1 minute ago, drbanner said:

It's not an "add-on" to the grade at all, it's simply an eye appeal evaluation. It would be used for all those books that sell for more than their similarly-graded counterparts because they look so much better (perfectly centered, good color, no marvel chips, no writing or date stamps, etc.,.).

Read all about application of an eye appeal evaluation in the coin market - "NGC assigns its trademarked Star * Designation to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade."

I know it's not an add on to the grade and that it is based on eye appeal but eye appeal to me is a little different between comics and coins/cards as you can't see the inside of the book. Basing the exceptional status solely on the outside appearance of comic isn't telling ME the whole story of a book. Maybe I didn't explain it properly in my previous post :foryou:

6 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Basing the exceptional status solely on the outside appearance of comic isn't telling ME the whole story of a book.

Obviously, it appeals to a segment of the market that doesn't care about the inside of the book. lol

But in a market where dollar values are real money now, even those little differences can mean a lot of money to someone.

I can see how the service doesn't really apply to everyone but I think some people will bid based on the service, especially if they feel they are not strong graders.

On 2017-05-21 at 1:21 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

This sentence is a classic example of how you react, immediately start typing, and hit enter before reading it. Read it yourself, it's a ridiculously structured sentence, sounding very immature. 'You guys' used 3 times in the same sentence ? I think it's time to take a step back, take a short sabbatical, change your name, and come back here with a better attitude.

For the record, I received a warning from the mods this morning for being 'contentious' in the AF #15 thread.

If 'being contentious' means not putting up with 'ahem', unfair practices, rewriting history, pump and dump techniques and just in general sharing my feelings about the market I guess I am going to remain 'contentious'.  lol

Did anybody else receive any warnings?

Edit - just heard back that it was for masking. I don't even remember which word it was.

Edited by VintageComics
masking

When CVA first started, several of the books I saw on Comiclink still had miswraps. This was what, 4-5 years ago?   I haven't looked too much on new submissions, but hopefully they are stricter on assigning the stickers. 

29 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

For the record, I received a warning from the mods this morning for being 'contentious' in the AF #15 thread.

If 'being contentious' means not putting up with 'ahem', unfair practices, rewriting history, pump and dump techniques and just in general sharing my feelings about the market I guess I am going to remain 'contentious'.  lol

Edit - just heard back that it was for masking. I don't even remember which word it was.

No, you masker. :roflmao:

18.jpg

Edited by peewee22

34 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I can see how the service doesn't really apply to everyone but I think some people will bid based on the service, especially if they feel they are not strong graders.

That's what cgc is for. The "not strong graders". 

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

You reap what you sow!!

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

That's what cgc is for. The "not strong graders". 

As you know, CGC does not differentiate between various defects or eye appeal in some grades.

On a book where some defects can cause a significant swing in price the CVA builds in some confidence in the assigned grade.

For example, a strong VF compared to a weak VF.

18 minutes ago, SC22 said:

You reap what you sow!!

Whether you write this above or the "Well that is sooo......not surprising!! " that you just edited out, they both show you are just being childish again and missed the point.

My point is that I wasn't warned for what I was saying. It was for how I said it.

I was warned because they said I masked a bad word (something you've done repeatedly) and yet I don't know which word it was.

If they're going to warn people they should tell people exactly what they're being warned about.

Otherwise it doesn't make sens. Or cents. Or sence. Or sense.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Whether you write this above or the "Well that is sooo......not surprising!! " that you just edited out, they both show you are just being childish again and missed the point.

My point is that I wasn't warned for what I was saying. It was for how I said it.

I was warned because they said I masked a bad word (something you've done repeatedly) and yet I don't know which word it was.

If they're going to warn people they should tell people exactly what they're being warned about.

Otherwise it doesn't make sens. Or cents. Or sence. Or sense.

LMAO. He's sooo classy

13 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

As you know, CGC does not differentiate between various defects or eye appeal in some grades.

On a book where some defects can cause a significant swing in price the CVA builds in some confidence in the assigned grade.

For example, a strong VF compared to a weak VF.

What's CVA?

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I like Tomis but never understood cva marketing appeal.  I mean if you have two eyes that work, you should be able to visually determine a nicer looking book,  right ?

I liked Tomis also. I was sad when he left Comiclink. However, I think there is value to the CVA sticker for a buyer, especially with the Comiclink model. Since Comiclink does not show you the back cover, this sticker assures me that all is well. I also think there is precedence in card grading, don't some card grading companies have an eye appeal rating ? 

Edit: Just read Roy's comments above which echo my statements. Sorry for the redundancy.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I like Tomis but never understood cva marketing appeal.  I mean if you have two eyes that work, you should be able to visually determine a nicer looking book,  right ?

I liked Tomis also. I was sad when he left Comiclink. However, I think there is value to the CVA sticker for a buyer, especially with the Comiclink model. Since Comiclink does not show you the back cover, this sticker assures me that all is well. I also think there is precedence in card grading, don't some card grading companies have an eye appeal rating ? 

Edit: Just read Roy's comments above which echo my statements. Sorry for the redundancy.

you can always request a bc scan... not sure what the service costs, but I just don't see any added value, regardless...

anyone buying a VF should have at least some frame of reference of what the "avg" vf is (good grader or not)...

55 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

you can always request a bc scan... not sure what the service costs, but I just don't see any added value, regardless...

anyone buying a VF should have at least some frame of reference of what the "avg" vf is (good grader or not)...

Agreed but looking at a scan vs in hand can sometimes be a big difference. The CVA sticker, in theory, gives you that 'thumbs up' in hand. I don't think it's adds any value = I wouldn't pay a premium, but it may put me over the edge when I am on the fence. I like it

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Agreed but looking at a scan vs in hand can sometimes be a big difference. The CVA sticker, in theory, gives you that 'thumbs up' in hand. I don't think it's adds any value = I wouldn't pay a premium, but it may put me over the edge when I am on the fence. I like it

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

You're a very able grader. Many are not. Some people just find added confidence in another opinion. Especially when they can't reach the Ask GAtor thread to ask if it's a good copy for the grade. ;-)