• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Spyderfan said:

What G.A.tor said.  I saw something of a great purge as well.  Step away for a few hours of family time and miss something.  Still can't believe the price on that Clink 8 so far.  Holy schnikes Spiderman!  :headbang:

@ $261 k with 4 days to go

an amazing price is going to be realized

51 minutes ago, Agent 007 said:

I'm calling it IRRATIONAL EXUBERANCE for the AF.  Just amazing.  I need a near bloodbath correction in the AF to even buy a decent mid grade and above with the little $ I have.

+1 :S

On 5/25/2017 at 9:16 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Maybe Bill Gates is going through a minor mid-life crisis and  decided to spend some of his pocket change on a few AF 15's

Jokes aside, you could be right. This latest run could be one major rich buyer getting a hoard and raising the bar! It would make sense. Could it even be a dealer ? market maker! or makers mark something like that.

It also could be bitcoin profits.

Edited by paul747

So an AF 15 8.0 is at 261k while a 9.0 JIM 83 is at 25k in the same auction. Anybody who's been around for decades and has watched the SA Marvel keys grow over those many years understands how ridiculous this latest scenario is. Please don't tell me about the upcoming movie- artificial bumps don't count in a long term market. And anybody who purchases one of the great early SA Marvel keys on account of a movie should get real. The collectors and reputable dealers know this. 

5 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

So an AF 15 8.0 is at 261k while a 9.0 JIM 83 is at 25k in the same auction. Anybody who's been around for decades and has watched the SA Marvel keys grow over those many years understands how ridiculous this latest scenario is. Please don't tell me about the upcoming movie- artificial bumps don't count in a long term market. And anybody who purchases one of the great early SA Marvel keys on account of a movie should get real. The collectors and reputable dealers know this. 

Is this the great "melt-up" prior to a crash or simply supply and demand ?  

9 minutes ago, s14roller said:

Or market has shifted toward love of characters vs. historical importance.

Then Hulk 181s should skyrocket next since Wolverine is arguably the most popular Marvel character and draws the most love.

When do will we see the 200k 9.8 Hulk 181 auction?

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Then Hulk 181s should skyrocket next since Wolverine is arguably the most popular Marvel character and draws the most love.

When do will we see the 200k 9.8 Hulk 181 auction?

I'm merely saying, even though I know the importance of JIM83, I'm not a big Thor fan so never would have considered the book.  Don't we see the same happening on FF1?  With SA books, Spidey is probably the biggest, and one that people demand the most.  The book is also historically important.

Wolv may be a popular character, but is he historically important?  GSXM1 might be more so for a bronze book, but maybe not as popular as Wolv on his own.  AF15, Spidey, has both popularity and historical significance, and is older and more rare.

Again, I have no idea, I'm throwing out my own guesses.

On 5/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, Wipple said:

An appropriate scrubbing. You guys don't have to like SC22 or approve of his posting style. The ganging up and flat out mean attacks are beyond what I would think an adult with the same hobby interests would post. I am embarrassed by some of you.

Normally, I would agree with you but SC22 goes beyond the normal limits of patience. I did not get involved in this last round but, in the past, I have tried politely to get SC22 to calm down, take a step back, take a sabbatical, etc. Even discussed it with him in a PM. He thinks he is within his rights to say anything, no matter how distasteful. He makes rude remarks about women, marriage, non comic related stuff. If he wants to be a part of this community, or even society in general, he needs to recognize there are boundaries.   

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

@ $261 k with 4 days to go

an amazing price is going to be realized

WOW WOW WOW !!! :whatthe:  That's like worth one fifth/sixth of my house...maybe I could trade a bedroom for it... lol

6 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

WOW WOW WOW !!! :whatthe:  That's like worth one fifth/sixth of my house...maybe I could trade a bedroom for it... lol

Or sell the whole homestead and fetch a 9.6! :idea:

3 hours ago, s14roller said:

I'm merely saying, even though I know the importance of JIM83, I'm not a big Thor fan so never would have considered the book.  Don't we see the same happening on FF1?  With SA books, Spidey is probably the biggest, and one that people demand the most.  The book is also historically important.

Wolv may be a popular character, but is he historically important?  GSXM1 might be more so for a bronze book, but maybe not as popular as Wolv on his own.  AF15, Spidey, has both popularity and historical significance, and is older and more rare.

Again, I have no idea, I'm throwing out my own guesses.

My point about  AF 15 and JIM 83 is that Spidey's first appearance in a lesser grade is in no way 10x the value of Thor's. That's what makes this current auction ridiculous. FF 1 is relatively quiet (emphasis on the word "relatively") because the flippers and pumpers don't have a movie to start their shenanigans. FF1 is the most historic Marvel SA key because it is Marvel's first and started the greatest Marvel run of that age. Spidey is the greatest single character to come out of the SA. Wolverine is the Bronze Age's greatest creation. Wolverine is a revolutionary character whose historic importance is unprecendented. Unlike Spidey and superheroes before the 1970s, Wolverine evolved into one of the top comic book creations while he was part of a team. The success of the X-Men and Wolverine were interdependent during a time when the first age of comic book diversity was correctly done by Marvel and to a lesser extent, DC (the current House of No Ideas has no connection to the successful Bronze Age formula that culminated with the introduction of the X-Men in 1975- hence, the situation the No ideas people are in now). Wolverine would eventually go on to an incredible solo career but he'd always remain part of the Marvel's most popular team, the X-Men. Sure, the Avengers had Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Ant-Man, Black Panther, etc. but none of them ever came close to having the concurrent individual and team success that Wolverine had with and without the X-Men- especially over the period of time. Ironically, Wolverine was the anti-hero whose success also depended on his place in the X-Men Universe in the Mutant Age of Comics that dominated more decades of Marvel's history than the hegemony of the SA creations of Spidey, Hulk, Avengers, and the Fantastic Four. This makes Wolverine one of the most historic characters in comic book history.

I brought up Hulk 181 and Wolverine to demonstrate a point after you raised an interesting point about the love one might have for a character superseding history. There's no question that AF 15 is a scarcer book - the '62 Marvel keys are a special group of books because they are great creations that also represent what Marvel was in its SA infancy. There's also no question Spidey will always have his place at the SA table of history but he didn't always dominate the superhero comic book market when it came to sales- he's had to take a second seat to Wolverine and the X-Men. There's no reason why that won't happen for any of these characters. I'm still hedging my bets that Adventure Comics 247 will one day again become the number one SA key like it was back in the 80s.

See what nearly 40 years can do for a SA key?

Keep that in mind when we see a 6.0 copy of AF 15 sell for 200k soon...

Edited by bronze johnny

25 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

My point about  AF 15 and JIM 83 is that Spidey's first appearance in a lesser grade is in no way 10x the value of Thor's. That's what makes this current auction ridiculous. FF 1 is relatively quiet (emphasis on the word "relatively") because the flippers and pumpers don't have a movie to start their shenanigans. FF1 is the most historic Marvel SA key because it is Marvel's first and started the greatest Marvel run of that age. Spidey is the greatest single character to come out of the SA. Wolverine is the Bronze Age's greatest creation. Wolverine is a revolutionary character whose historic importance is unprecendented. Unlike Spidey and superheroes before the 1970s, Wolverine evolved into one of the top comic book creations while he was part of a team. The success of the X-Men and Wolverine were interdependent during a time when the first age of comic book diversity was correctly done by Marvel and to a lesser extent, DC (the current House of No Ideas has no connection to the successful Bronze Age formula that culminated with the introduction of the X-Men in 1975- hence, the situation the No ideas people are in now). Wolverine would eventually go on to an incredible solo career but he'd always remain part of the Marvel's most popular team, the X-Men. Sure, the Avengers had Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Ant-Man, Black Panther, etc. but none of them ever came close to having the concurrent individual and team success that Wolverine had with and without the X-Men- especially over the period of time. Ironically, Wolverine was the anti-hero whose success also depended on his place in the X-Men Universe in the Mutant Age of Comics that dominated more decades of Marvel's history than the hegemony of the SA creations of Spidey, Hulk, Avengers, and the Fantastic Four. This makes Wolverine one of the most historic characters in comic book history.

I brought up Hulk 181 and Wolverine to demonstrate a point after you raised an interesting point about the love one might have for a character superseding history. There's no question that AF 15 is a scarcer book - the '62 Marvel keys are a special group of books because they are great creations that also represent what Marvel was in its SA infancy. There's also no question Spidey will always have his place at the SA table of history but he didn't always dominate the superhero comic book market when it came to sales- he's had to take a second seat to Wolverine and the X-Men. There's no reason why that won't happen for any of these characters. I'm still hedging my bets that Adventure Comics 247 will one day again become the number one SA key like it was back in the 80s.

See what nearly 40 years can do for a SA key?

Keep that in mind when we see a 6.0 copy of AF 15 sell for 200k soon...

If you cant beat em join em. 2c

there's a lot of hatred for af15 mania.  I don't see the af15 guys going over to the golden age area and hating on the "classic covers" or the pre-robin tecs.  Pretty entertaining if you ask me.  Similar analogy to my beloved gs warriors.  a lot of people  hating them right now since they've formed the super team.  Hate all you want cause it's not gonna stop the steaming train.

Edited by Spiderturtle

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

If you cant beat em join em. 2c

Funny thing is Brannon, never saw this as an "us v. them." Read my post carefully.

Respectfully,

john