• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

More like this thread is cyclical. Same stuff regurgitated over and over...

Delekkerste's posts also seem to be cyclical: the same eloquent posts in financial lingo appearing every year for the last decade preaching doom and gloom over and over ... 

2 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Delekkerste's posts also seem to be cyclical: the same eloquent posts in financial lingo appearing every year for the last decade preaching doom and gloom over and over ... 

lollll

Edited by SC22

2 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Cause a generational changeover happens every 10 years :eyeroll:

In a different way , I do. When I was a kid I kept telling my dad to buy Coca Cola Bottling company and of course he never did to his everlasting sorrow. My grandfather invested in a company that made rubber tires and that investment paid for the land I bought when I was 25.  The sale of the AF15 goes to my boy for a house downpayment. I have enjoyed watching how things fluctuate on the exchange. Time there was, people bought stock because they believed in the company. Now? It's a gambing house as Bob alluded to when talking about CDO's. I read  "The big short "  which if you haven't read is really very funny at times- great writing. . .  It's a game. It involves money at this point. Comics are a game and they involve money too- lots of it. I kept all my JIM and Thor when Bob bought my collection. I really liked the notion of Jane Foster daydreaming she could iron Thor's cape or give him summer haircuts.  One scary character was bitten by a radioactive Cobra in a moment of concept shock on Stan Lee's part.  Where did that idea come from?

Both things are part of life. 

1 minute ago, SC22 said:
3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Cause a generational changeover happens every 10 years :eyeroll:

And for 50 years comic book collecting has survived and is doing well.

You believe the comic book market has been healthy and vibrant for the last 50 years ?

16 minutes ago, yanksarod22 said:

I actually own two copies of af 15 and follow board closely....I like seeing others copies and see what the world is saying about the value as well it’s fun....stocks can be compared to a degree but stocks are boring...comics are fun and tangible 

Comics are fun to read and collect.  But stocks in some companies are far from boring.  For instance one can own stock in the company that commercialized this:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/international/2014/08/21/spc-vital-signs-lymphoblastic-leukaemia-immunotherapy.cnn

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Comics are fun to read and collect.  But some stocks in some companies are far from boring.  For instance one can own stock in the company that did this:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/international/2014/08/21/spc-vital-signs-lymphoblastic-leukaemia-immunotherapy.cnn

well you know how to live life in the fast lane... I'm watching a company right now called FMC. It is doing a great job of trying to control the lithium market. It's a little more like daredevil without the built in radar. I never understood that comic at all.  

Edited by Glassman10

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

But it is doing just fine and has survived and grown not like a lot of other hobbies over that time period.

Go ask your local LCS and see how his sales have been trending the last decade. Ask him what % of readers are over the age of age 40 - I would bet that age group covers 90% of his sales of new comics. Hot/Key books are great to talk about but there are others areas of this hobby that are in dire straits.

43 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Go ask your local LCS and see how his sales have been trending the last decade. Ask him what % of readers are over the age of age 40 - I would bet that age group covers 90% of his sales of new comics. Hot/Key books are great to talk about but there are others areas of this hobby that are in dire straits.

The internet (Ebay and so on), conventions and auction houses have taken over a long time ago. So LCS don't count much anymore at all. Unless it is one of those top stores where they keep all the good stuff from the GA and SA.

I never buy anything at LCS stores simply because they don't have anything I want. All they have is a few SA non keys and BA (mostly all common stuff in bins) and newer stuff I could care less about.

Same goes for local sports card shops most only have garbage I and most collectors could care less about that is why they almost all closed. People find all they need threw the venues I specified above and don't even have to leave there house in most cases anymore.

Or the owner will say I will locate the book for you or the card and he will charge you 10% to 20% for finding on the internet or whatever. Mine as well just buy it yourself.

It's part of capitalism stores close and new venues open based on demand.

They are a cool venue when you are a young collector or a teenager but as you age and your needs become more and more specific LCS in most cases simply suck!! But they are a good starting point for young collectors if those kids or adults don't know any better.

Edited by SC22