• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Currently no other book is doing that.

OK, this explains your position. You think that it only applies to AF #15 and I would disagree. All the things discussed here apply to all books in my experience (and have for the entire 15 years that I've been back into comics after leaving for a decade).

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

But I'm really not trying to fight. I just think there are a lot of ways to look at a camel. 

I'm not trying to fight either.  :foryou:

Just trying to make sure that people clearly understand my position.

For my pricing model, MC disparity in pricing applies to all sa keys. Example at nycc last month I had a 5.0 Xmen 1 with no mc priced $1k higher than one with mc (oh yeah , one had White Pages the other cr/ow but since pq doesn’t affect pricing , the sole differential had to be the mc B| ) guess which one sold first !?!

Edited by G.A.tor

5 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Technical grade + eye appeal= decision 

Technical grade + eye appeal + price = decision

cant leave out cost. That has largest  effect  on most folks decisions I suspect. 

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Thus We Can deduct that the 5.0 MC sold first?

lol Nope. Didn’t say lower price sells first. But price, as a function of fmv, is a huge factor. 

If someone has an overpriced comic , it is less likely to sell relative to a fairly (as determined by the buyer or the market) priced one, but I suspect most already know this (thumbsu

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

lol Nope. Didn’t say lower price sells first. But price, as a function of fmv, is a huge factor. 

If someone has an overpriced comic , it is less likely to sell relative to a fairly (as determined by the buyer or the market) priced one, but I suspect most already know this (thumbsu

I would be much more nervous if I was selling in an auction instead with those same books. It was interesting in several of those most recent auctions where the bidding on AF15's  simply went dead several days before the hammer. No buyer's fever there.  Fixing a price, if it's fair based on grade and eye appeal to me is a far greater comfort zone than wondering how that will go before the hammer. 

33 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I would be much more nervous if I was selling in an auction instead with those same books. It was interesting in several of those most recent auctions where the bidding on AF15's  simply went dead several days before the hammer. No buyer's fever there.  Fixing a price, if it's fair based on grade and eye appeal to me is a far greater comfort zone than wondering how that will go before the hammer. 

You can always put a reserve bid if you are nervous. There is an AF in the current CL auction which has a reserve.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Just look at eBay for many overpriced AFs collecting dust.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

You can always put a reserve bid if you are nervous. There is an AF in the current CL auction which has a reserve.

Being ignorant, At what point will an auction house not want a reserve comic in an auction if the reserve is deemed too high? Or is that not an issue? If a book fails to sell, is it a zero sum gain for the auction house?

It does seem to me that the recent auction prices were very directly a result  of too much similar supply rushing to the market. I would think that there would be a certain amount of market filtering  to keep a handle on that.  That was a big pile of AF15's that just stampeded through here.

The problem with auctions with reserves is that bidders don't like them.  Every bidder wants to feel that their bid can win the book.  With a reserve what is the point of bidding if your bid won't win it.  Some customers were setting high reserves in order to get a "free appraisal" of what somebody would pay for the book at the auctions expense.  And if a auction house is working to sell the book it is not a zero sum game to them.  Auction houses don't make money on no reserve auctions if the item doesn't sell.  They all want to know how much money they are possibly going to make before the auction starts.  

Edited by blazingbob

50 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

The problem with auctions with reserves is that bidders don't like them.  Every bidder wants to feel that their bid can win the book.  With a reserve what is the point of bidding if your bid won't win it.  Some customers were setting high reserves in order to get a "free appraisal" of what somebody would pay for the book at the auctions expense.  And if a auction house is working to sell the book it is not a zero sum game to them.  Auction houses don't make money on no reserve auctions if the item doesn't sell.  They all want to know how much money they are possibly going to make before the auction starts.  

I guess that is part of the risk in being an auction house - sometimes they scan and post the book to the auction and it doesn't meet the reserve so they don't make anything on that book. I'm sure people consign books to you as well and you shop them around and then the owner withdraws the book and you are out your time and money (unless you have safeguards built in if that occurs). Unfortunately it's not always an easy slam dunk.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Even ebay has migrated away from reserve bidding.

20 hours ago, VintageComics said:

OK, this explains your position. You think that it only applies to AF #15 and I would disagree. All the things discussed here apply to all books in my experience (and have for the entire 15 years that I've been back into comics after leaving for a decade).

I'm not trying to fight either.  :foryou:

Just trying to make sure that people clearly understand my position.

This guy VintageComics is a trouble maker. Watch him. :bigsmile:

3 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Agree in general. But a fmv fixed price , while hedging against under performance , does restrict the ceiling should the environment provide that opportunity 

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

Agree in general. But a fmv fixed price , while hedging against under performance , does restrict the ceiling should the environment provide that opportunity 

I agree and unfortunately all you see on the auction house front pages are the "winners".  How about the "Losers" page?  You think Doug is loving the Heritage results?  How come GPA doesn't report the venue because god forbid you see where that GPA low got set.

32 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I agree and unfortunately all you see on the auction house front pages are the "winners".  How about the "Losers" page?  You think Doug is loving the Heritage results?  How come GPA doesn't report the venue because god forbid you see where that GPA low got set.

Agreed. I recognize a fairly stacked deck out there.

45 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

You are spot on , of course