• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

Toll collectors which is all the Auctions houses and grading companies are make money whether you do or not.  The comic book has become a ticket with how many times it can be hole punched and money taken out.  

1).  Press it 

2).  Grade it

3).  Sell it 

Crack it

4).  Press it again

5).  Grade it again

6).  Sell it again

Depending on grading company grading standards at the time you can run it between the grading companies for the "best" grade

Crack it again

7).  Press it again

8).  Grade it again

9).  Sell it again

I might be conservative in that a book has the potential for 9+ money making events.

Edited by blazingbob

27 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Toll collectors which is all the Auctions houses and grading companies are make money whether you do or not.  The comic book has become a ticket with how many times it can be hole punched and money taken out.  

1).  Press it 

2).  Grade it

3).  Sell it 

Crack it

4).  Press it again

5).  Grade it again

6).  Sell it again

Depending on grading company grading standards at the time you can run it between the grading companies for the "best" grade

Crack it again

7).  Press it again

8).  Grade it again

9).  Sell it again

I might be conservative in that a book has the potential for 9+ money making events.

Sounds like a plan! How do I get started?!

Open a auction house or a grading company and stick you palm out.

Post on social media how much you love grading books all the while cashing those checks.

Talk in private at dinners at shows about the amount of garbage that gets sent in for grading or if you have to grade another NM #98 you may kill yourself all the while you are cashing those checks.

Try to think up another creative story on why AS #14 is so awesome all the while this is the 1000th copy you have auctioned 

Edited by blazingbob

14 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Open a auction house or a grading company and stick you palm out.

Post on social media how much you love grading books all the while cashing those checks.

Talk in private at dinners at shows about the amount of garbage that gets sent in for grading or if you have to grade another NM #98 you may kill yourself all the while you are cashing those checks.

Try to think up another creative story on why AS #14 is so awesome all the while this is the 1000th copy you have auctioned off.

Pass. Sounds depressing. I'll just stick to reading them. 

In all seriousness bob, is there any point in pressing and or slabbing a comic (besides $)?

Edited by NoMan

On 11/20/2017 at 2:15 PM, paul747 said:

I think people are cray !! huge cash for  35 cent variants,  as well as other variants. The pence is just a super rare variant from the same print run ! way way undervalued.  This will change, its crazy if it doesn't. This was a old timer belief that pence copies are foreign variants , different editions , they are not !  Biggest steal in the industry right now,  rare as it gets and should have more buyers.....2c .  I have been looking at a lot of different examples and in most cases they are brighter and better looking books, so I do think there is something to the first to press theory ! 

I've never understood the rationale for paying crazy money for these $0.30 and $0.35 price variants at all.  :screwy:

Since they are in place though, I don't see any reason why foreign pence variants should also be going for higher values relative to its much more common American counterparts, as long as it's not a later reprint.  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I've never understood the rationale for paying crazy money for these $0.30 and $0.35 price variants at all.  :screwy:

Since they are in place though, I don't see any reason why foreign pence variants should also be going for higher values relative to its much more common American counterparts, as long as it's not a later reprint.  hm

I get what your saying,  If you don't get the 35 cent variant and other variant appreciation.  Then you would definitely not get the pence variant reasoning.  Like many of the other price variants, the UK Edition is just a super rare low print run price variant.  At least that's what I read.  It would be great to get some actual hard facts.  The fact that they were thought of as foreign editions for so long muddies the water. They sell for fractions of the cost to The US price editions. If they are in fact the same print run and the same comic as the US version, with just a different price and a low print run,  It would appear they are severely undervalued.  As many will say the market value is what they are worth, so for now that's what it is.  I don't mind grabbing a couple of copies under 100 bucks, But I might struggle paying $27,000 for an amazing fantasy #15 pence copy.  One turkey put a 2.5 AF15  UK version up for $25,000 that's a little hm(shrug)

On 11/22/2017 at 11:37 AM, VintageComics said:

I don't know why people keep repeating this.  No they do not.

The amount of chipping affects the grade directly.

It may not affect it as much as you want it do, but in my experience of grading books for 15 years, it definitely make a measurable difference.

I think that the fact that a book can have substantial MC and be a 5-6.5 range makes people think its not factoring it. A book with multiple MC's shouldnt rise above a 4.0 I think if we are being honest. I mean, its little chunks torn off the cover, how is that not major disqualifying damage? How can a book be fine with a dozen pieces ripped off the cover?

Edited by zhamlau

25 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think that the fact that a book can have substantial MC and be a 5-6.5 range makes people think its not factoring it. A book with multiple MC's shouldnt rise above a 4.0 I think if we are being honest. I mean, its little chunks torn off the cover, how is that not major disqualifying damage? How can a book be fine with a dozen pieces ripped off the cover?

I have seen a tiny chip on a CGC 9.6 and I've seen much more chipping on lower grades.

It all depends on how much chipping there is.

Agree with Roy, but the reality is that books rarely command above a cgc 6.5 if they are truly with chipping.   That means more than one chip, visible and prominent (on an otherwise VF+ book, for example).

I think zhamlau's comment on "max 4.0" is a reflection on how much you personally dislike chipping...which is fine.   But others might argue they don't think chipping should take the book down more than half a grade, no matter how severe.  At the end of the day, CGC does not publish their methodology, but there is irrefutable evidence that chipping affects grade.....

59 minutes ago, roulette44 said:

Agree with Roy, but the reality is that books rarely command above a cgc 6.5 if they are truly with chipping.   That means more than one chip, visible and prominent (on an otherwise VF+ book, for example).

I think zhamlau's comment on "max 4.0" is a reflection on how much you personally dislike chipping...which is fine.   But others might argue they don't think chipping should take the book down more than half a grade, no matter how severe.  At the end of the day, CGC does not publish their methodology, but there is irrefutable evidence that chipping affects grade.....

Again, it depends on how much chipping is present. Could be a lot of pre chipping (cracking) going on. I remember in the golden days chipping was hit hard (pre 90s). Never more than VG+ if at least moderate chipping was present. And chipped books would sit all 7 days with a seller/dealer. Not much price variation then. I mean $1000 for a nice Spidey 1 or $750 for a comparable chipped copy. No comparison. Now it's 50k for a 6.0 and thousands less for a chipped copy.

Edited by peewee22

15 hours ago, SC22 said:

4 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

but it's ok to speculate about it. Speculating is different than guessing. 

We were asked to guess.  Homey don't play that game.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by namisgr

well, It's a nice book, no chipping but no back cover shots either. E bay is absolutely glutted with AF15's right now but I only saw one I thought to be a comparable a bit under 50K. There's a 5.5 that does not have the same appeal for 59K.  There's a 5.0 with some chipping for 46K, one 5.5 for 56K and lastly a 7.0 for 300K plus 500 bucks shipping...

So, all in all, speculating mind you, I'd think 50K or a bit less actually given the general spooking that came out of the last round. 

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

well, It's a nice book, no chipping but no back cover shots either. E bay is absolutely glutted with AF15's right now but I only saw one I thought to be a comparable a bit under 50K. There's a 5.5 that does not have the same appeal for 59K.  There's a 5.0 with some chipping for 46K, one 5.5 for 56K and lastly a 7.0 for 300K plus 500 bucks shipping...

So, all in all, speculating mind you, I'd think 50K or a bit less actually given the general spooking that came out of the last round. 

That is just crazy asking 300k for a 7.0!! The shipping price seems to be about right for a 300k item to be insured by a private company.

Edited by SC22