• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February Comic Connect Church Jungle Run?

34 posts in this topic

Which is the toughest issue to track down in high grade?

22 is a hard one. Basically right after Japan attacked the US and bombed Pearl Harbor books were hard to come by. Scarce.

Gerber 7's:

gerber 8

If it means anything.

Gerber really means nothing these days as far as a true indicator of scarcity

I disagree. I'd say at least 80% of the scarcity ratings are still pretty accurate. A few specific books may be off by a little, but I don't see any Gerber rated 8's that are really 4's. Warrior Comics #1 may be the only acceptation, and even with that, that hoard was discovered after the PJ book was published.

I disagree. I'd say at least 80% of the scarcity ratings are still pretty accurate. A few specific books may be off by a little, but I don't see any Gerber rated 8's that are really 4's. Warrior Comics #1 may be the only acceptation, and even with that, that hoard was discovered after the PJ book was published.

Hi West

I would think 80% is probably about right.

20% is still quite a lot of books of course! So could lead to a distorted view of relative scarcity for adjacent issues in a given title.

I also remember cheetah commenting not so long ago, that a couple of years back, Fiction House in general were pretty easy to pick up - and now much harder.

It all makes it harder to gain a true picture.

Hi West

20% is still quite a lot of books of course! So could lead to a distorted view of relative scarcity for adjacent issues in a given title.

I also remember cheetah commenting not so long ago, that a couple of years back, Fiction House in general were pretty easy to pick up - and now much harder.

95% of the Fiction House books have always been really easy to pick up. Because those titles are really inexpensive compared to other GA books, collectors are buying them. Also, if a collector needs to sell books to raise funds they probably would not sell their FH titles as you would have to sell 15-20 Fiction House books to equal the money of selling one Superman, Batman or Timely. These two factors may make FH seem rarer due to less books on the open market.

They also have a run of 1-10 JUMBO comics.... guess those belong to Fishler also??
Jumbo Church's don't belong to Fishler.

Peter`s selling his Jumbos?! :o

no, the Jumbo 1-8 in the auction are not Church copies.

Which is the toughest issue to track down in high grade?

22 is a hard one. Basically right after Japan attacked the US and bombed Pearl Harbor books were hard to come by. Scarce.

Gerber 7's:

gerber 8

If it means anything.

First time I have ever heard that. Hard to understand why it would be true. It took some time before the U.S. fully mobilized production for war.

Pearl Harbor was certainly a shock, but I don't see why it would have disrupted people either publishing or buying comics.

Hi West

95% of the Fiction House books have always been really easy to pick up. Because those titles are really inexpensive compared to other GA books, collectors are buying them. Also, if a collector needs to sell books to raise funds they probably would not sell their FH titles as you would have to sell 15-20 Fiction House books to equal the money of selling one Superman, Batman or Timely. These two factors may make FH seem rarer due to less books on the open market.

Yes. We are due for a change of cycle with Fiction House.

Many of Gerbers 8's are rare, but I wouldn't put it that high.

There are some 8's that really aren't much harder to get than those around them. Flash 56 is one that seems to stick out off the top of my head. I know there are more.

There are lots of romances books that are super hard to get that I would change from 4-6 to 8's.

Hi West

Yes. We are due for a change of cycle with Fiction House.

FWIW, I think there has been a modest uptick in interest in Jungle and Jumbo and a slightly larger uptick in early Fight and Rangers as far as collecting interest goes. For Jungle and Jumbo, it is still a very small pool of buyers and prices are not very stable. Later Fight and Rangers Comics are only slightly more popular than Firehair and Kaanga. Interest in Planet has increased more than any other title and the limited availability has cause a substantial increase in price.

Availability-wise, in the last four years, I've bought a lot of FH books and currently have over 500 graded copies of various FH books. I think that has made them a lot more scarce when it comes to regular auctions. Instead of being flipped every few months, the books have been out of circulation now for as much as 5 years so the number on the market has dwindled. I've got about 75 undercopies I need to get rid of so maybe Michael is right about the cycle ready to start up again.

As far as rarest or hardest to find Jungles, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 27, 29 and 42 are the ones I think are least common on the market. The dinosaur/mammoth covers are maybe the toughest as they are the most popular.