• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #2.....No Love??

64 posts in this topic

I love the book but it must have one of the worst covers of the "Marvel Age" - clearly rushed...

WHAT!?!?!?

I absolutely love this book and love the cover. Seriously... One of my favourites!

Ditto, this is the essence of Kirby coolness and nostalgia of the SA marvel universe. I will dig up a pic of my copy.

I love the book but it must have one of the worst covers of the "Marvel Age" - clearly rushed...

WHAT!?!?!?

I absolutely love this book and love the cover. Seriously... One of my favourites!

Take a look at the rest of the covers in the early part of the run. This one was clearly rushed. No background detail. Clumsy wooden figures and placement. Clearly there was a looming deadline and Jack had to hammer it out quickly.

On another note, the Thing as depicted in the first two issues was clearly the best. He looks like a "Thing". They should have left him as is rather than humanizing him as the series progressed.

With this book being a Marvel 10 center and first appearance of the Skrulls not to mention a great yellow cover and top 20 silver age book why can it still be found for what seems to be a "bargain" price (comapratively) to other silver age keys?

Skrulls? Key, smchey. It's tougher to find than Fantastic Four 1 yet trades at a fraction of the price. That makes it a relative "value" in my book.

Aesthetically though I prefer #3. And so did Stan Lee. After all, he didn't start labelling the Fantastic Four "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" until #3.

:preach:

With this book being a Marvel 10 center and first appearance of the Skrulls not to mention a great yellow cover and top 20 silver age book why can it still be found for what seems to be a "bargain" price (comapratively) to other silver age keys?

Skrulls? Key, smchey. It's tougher to find than Fantastic Four 1 yet trades at a fraction of the price. That makes it a relative "value" in my book.

Aesthetically though I prefer #3. And so did Stan Lee. After all, he didn't start labelling the Fantastic Four "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" until #3.

#3 is a great cover.

#3 is a great cover.

…except for Torch's hands... lol

The 9.6 White Mountain copy is in the February C-Link auction.

It's sweet looking, except that the humidification from pressing caused the arrival date ink to start running.

Mr. Bedrock's Curator copy has an amazing looking front cover.

Here's my copy:

FF2cgc.jpg

It's sweet looking, except that the humidification from pressing caused the arrival date ink to start running.

Bedrock's Curator copy has an amazing looking front cover.

+1

Best looking copy I have ever seen, regardless of grade

.... on a positive note..... the splash of Thing swimming toward the off shore oil well is one of my favorites of the whole run. The Thing was SO cool looking in those first two issues.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Completely agree!

FF2_Opening.jpg

Bedrock's Curator copy has an amazing looking front cover.

+1

Best looking copy I have ever seen, regardless of grade

Yeah what do you think the over/under is on the amount of presses the WM copy has gone through over the last 10 years? 6?

And the first costumes, and the first headquarters, and the first Fantasi-car, and the first mention of New York city as the city they were located in, etc.

I fell asleep the night Namisgr bought his copy from a ComicLink auction, otherwise it might be mine. :cry:lol I extended grats to him a few years ago and re-extend them now. :foryou:

I did manage to pick another copy up a few years later:

ff2.jpg

I think the background was rushed but the action and figures are classic Kirby. Maybe Kriby did the main scene and Ayers added the horrid wall picture frames and door. Those always crack me up.

Here's my old copy from the Candy store across the street from Orange Park, NJ. One of my few OO purchases not from Sid's Luncheonette. He kept them hanging on the wall from a thick wire that had steel toothed clips.

It's a pretty decent looking copy except for that chunk missing where he ripped it down from the wall... :cry:

FFs005-1.jpg