• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warlock First Appearance - Marvel Premiere 1

250 posts in this topic

I am beginning to think that reading comics on a CGC Forum is a lost art, and all these guys do is stare at pretty pictures behind slabbed plastic.

I am beginning to think that, despite your presumptious statements, you haven’t been reading them with much love, or attention if you prefer, since the beginning. :eyeroll:

I've read those issues multiple times, and unless you knew it ahead of time, there is no possible way you would link the Warlock in ST 178 with Him from FF 67.

I have read them in this order as a kid (in italian, of course):

FF #66-67 first, and I loved them, and then as I discovered Starlin’s Warlock (where it is all summarized in the flashback), which not by chance was published as a backup feature on the italian FF, I was able to understand pretty much everything (not knowing all the facts, of course, since I had not the opportunity to read Thomas and Kane's initial series until later on). :)

It‘s a wonderful progression, and I don’t care in the least about speculations on how the collecting market has been getting these.

Allow me to say you are being a bit superficial for being such a passionate Warlock fan… lol

All I am trying to say is that Magus has far more in common with Warlock, than Warlock does with Him, so why is MP 1 the "origin of Warlock" while ST 178 is the "first appearance of Magus".

It makes no sense.

I am beginning to think that, despite your presumptious statements, you haven’t been reading them with much love, or attention if you prefer, since the beginning. :eyeroll:

So you are saying that I have not read them all multiple times? Really?

I may use disparing comment towards Mr Speedo and refer to Magus as an afro-toting Warlock, but that only speaks to my familiarity with the characters. :grin:

[the market seems to like the first 'full' appearance of Him the best here

You keep posting that Luthor, without understanding the very basic fact that one is a SILVER AGE book and the other is a BRONZE AGE book. In the face of even equivalent-level books, the SILVER AGE book, being older and subject to greater attrition, is worth LESS than the BRONZE AGE book.

I know even you can't be this lame.

What's next on your agenda, trying to prove that Wolverine sucks because it's not worth as much as AF 15, Hulk 1 or FF 1?

You're so dense…

Allow me to say you are being a bit superficial for being such a passionate Warlock fan… lol

All I am trying to say is that Magus has far more in common with Warlock, than Warlock does with Him, so why is MP 1 the "origin of Warlock" while ST 178 is the "first appearance of Magus".

It makes no sense.

That's just not logical. The concept of Magus didn't exist until Starlin came up with it. Do all first appearances need to come with the notation "First appearance of [X], and all later incarnations, materializations, reincarnations, possessions, or further transmutations of said character"?

vaillant is spot on with the observation that Warlock's "cave-man" appearance is a deliberate take on classical notions of beauty.

Myself, I think that MP 1 introduces the re-invented, modern-day Warlock that most of us grew up enjoying, that the modern-day Warlock and HIM are clearly the same character, and that whatever cognitive dissonance comes with that is just fine. Nothing about one precludes the other. :shrug:

ASM 129 - February 1974

ASM 134-135 - July/August 1974

Giant Size Spider-man 4 - April 1975

Marvel Super Action #1 - January of 1976

Four appearances in just under two years.

ASM 129 - February 1974

ASM 134 - July 1974

ASM 135 - August 1974

Giant Size Spider-man 4 - April 1975

Marvel Preview #2 - August 1975

Marvel Super Action #1 - January 1976

Six appearances in just under two years.

No disrespect meant and not trying to derail the original discussion, but

had to fix that. Now back to the originally scheduled discussion..................Warlock!

I'm okay with updated facts! I missed Marvel Preview #2 altogether!

ASM 134-135 I counted as one appearance since he only appears in the last panel.

You keep posting that Luthor, without understanding the very basic fact that one is a SILVER AGE book and the other is a BRONZE AGE book. In the face of even equivalent-level books, the SILVER AGE book, being older and subject to greater attrition, is worth LESS than the BRONZE AGE book.

What's next on your agenda, trying to prove that Wolverine sucks because it's not worth as much as AF 15, Hulk 1 or FF 1?

You're so dense…

You keep telling yourself that Einstein. :lol:

That's just not logical. The concept of Magus didn't exist until Starlin came up with it.

Huh? The concept of Warlock didn't exist until Roy Thomas came up with it either. Look it up if you don't believe me.

In terms of Marvel Continuity, Him, Warlock and Magus are the same character, just as Cat and Tigra, or Patsy Walker and Hellcat or all the other multi-hero personas are the same person. We're not debating something idiotic like who a fictional character really is, since they don't exist anyway.

This is about comic collecting, something that is real, and how OS and CGC note these "fictional appearances" Some, like Tigra and Magus, get a "First Appearance" notation, while others do not.

You Him fanboys can mince words all you want, but if what you *really* saying is that Magus is a totally different fictional character than Him? If so, then you need to reread the books Luthor!

You're so dense…

You remind me with every post you make Mr. Congeniality... :roflmao:

It makes no sense.

Because Magus is just one path that Warlock could take to become that person.

Him is who Warlock actually was. Magus isn't necessarily who he'll be.

It makes no sense.

that's deep

It makes no sense.

Like I said:

In terms of Marvel Continuity, Him, Warlock and Magus are the same character, just as Cat and Tigra, or Patsy Walker and Hellcat or all the other multi-hero personas are the same person. We're not debating something idiotic like who a fictional character really is, since they don't exist anyway.

All of this talk about MP 1 makes me want one. I see what you guys are doing. :makepoint:

Anyone have a 9.2 for sale?

And yes, I know, post a WTB thread. :blahblah:

yep pm an offer....

love me some warlock MP 1...first soul gem...

and I even loved him as a freakishly beautiful adonis....

little mind meld changes and reworking, but he's always been a fav..

You're so dense…

You remind me with every post you make Mr. Congeniality... :roflmao:

And yet you keep poking him. Don't understand why people keep engaging those people who irritate them. (shrug)

All of this talk about MP 1 makes me want one. I see what you guys are doing. :makepoint:

Anyone have a 9.2 for sale?

And yes, I know, post a WTB thread. :blahblah:

yep pm an offer....

love me some warlock MP 1...first soul gem...

and I even loved him as a freakishly beautiful adonis....

little mind meld changes and reworking, but he's always been a fav..

I grabbed a couple copies over the last few months....just in case. It's always been a cool book to me.