• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else here not like signatures on their comics?

81 posts in this topic

I actually prefer moderns with signatures. Don't know why but I think it's because they are produced en masse and it makes them a little more original. I also associate the signing as a personal or known event.

Seeing a Hulk 1 with Stan's signature on it literally turns my stomach. I am so off put by those beautiful, less than ordinary copies tainted copies that I would never outright purchase one, even if priced like a certified. The only exception to the rule is something like my Nova 1 (which were a dollar a dozen a few years ago and I can't get that out of my head) which was tastefully signed on an internal page by Wolfman. Since there is such controversy and history with Nova and Marvel, I find it a little more unique.

Hi all, are their any of you who feels a signature on a comic is bad/detrimental for the comic?

For instance if you see two identical Hulk #1 of the same grade and both are great but one is signed, the other is not....which would you choose?

Somehow for me, I just don't like seeing pen markings on a front cover.

What say you all?

I'm with you. I can't stand signatures on anything.

I like them best on a well pressed pedigree, Marvel SA Key, lone high grader. :cloud9:

And by the star that played them in the movie? I remember when you got that Spiderman #1 signed by Tobey Maguire! Good times... good times. :insane:

I have a lot of modern books signed that I got myself which was fun. Back then it was for free. And I always got my books signed on the first page, most others did also.

Its more of a recent trend where they pay the money to have the artist scribble on the cover of a book.

Sometimes when it comes to modern movie adaption comics I kind of like it. Star Wars, Evil Dead, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Aliens etc.

But on older bronze age books or earlier I don't like it. There are some nice books on ebay that I would gladly buy right now if it wasn't signed.

For modern books, yes, I love signatures. Copper is borderline and only attractive to me if those involved in the actual book are on the cover...none of this Stan Lee signing every Marvel book crup.

If given the choice between a SS or non-SS BA or SA book, I'll always choose the non-SS. For BA and SA, signatures are like pedigree designations to me...they provide zero monetary value in my eyes so I'll never want to pay a premium.

Hi all, are their any of you who feels a signature on a comic is bad/detrimental for the comic?

For instance if you see two identical Hulk #1 of the same grade and both are great but one is signed, the other is not....which would you choose?

What say you all?

I like them best on a well pressed pedigree, Marvel SA Key, lone high grader. :cloud9:

And by the star that played them in the movie? I remember when you got that Spiderman #1 signed by Tobey Maguire! Good times... good times. :insane:

Totally! My FF1 White Mountain 9.2 signed by Michael Chicklets still warms the cockles.

Another boardie picked this up so be gentle...

This is a book that I feel deserves to be signed due to the backstory concerning what it took by Stan Lee to get it published.

:headbang: Just got these in...

AmazingSpider-Man_096_SSCGC98oww_SLee.jpg

What say you all?

smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

What say you all?

smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

moi?

Another boardie picked this up so be gentle...

This is a book that I feel deserves to be signed due to the backstory concerning what it took by Stan Lee to get it published.

:headbang: Just got these in...

AmazingSpider-Man_096_SSCGC98oww_SLee.jpg

I'm not sure I've mentioned this before, but I wrote a paper on this run of issues back in college. University of Wyoming had a pop culture museum. For some reason Lee donated all his personal files to the school. They hadn't been organized so they let me just flip through tons of documents the guy had. It was incredible the stuff he saved. Millions of fan letters and drafts upon draft of press releases.

The controversy around these issues was incredible and, I believe, it really changed the landscape of comics.

What say you all?

Blue labels baby!

I don't like 'em. If there's a sig on it, I'm not in the market for it.

I guess it is in the frame of mind. Don't look at it like a comic. Look at it as a signed baseball.

I love getting my Marvel 60's keys signed. I have been only collecting CGC for a year now but already have TOS 39 signed by Lee/Leiber, FF4 48 signed by Sinnott/Lee and JIM 83 signed by Lee and they look magnificent displayed in my house. Next up is Avengers #1, FF4 #1 or Hulk #1 and to get my copy of X-men #1 signed.

It's cool for me to look at them and know the creators handled and signed the comics and gives it some more history.