• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else here not like signatures on their comics?

81 posts in this topic

I like signatures as personal collectibles as opposed to sellable items, just like getting a baseball signed in person. I have an image firsts WD 1 signed by Tony Moore and a Deadpool 1 signed by Brian Posehn but they are not signature series and I got them in person.

Another boardie picked this up so be gentle...

This is a book that I feel deserves to be signed due to the backstory concerning what it took by Stan Lee to get it published.

:headbang: Just got these in...

AmazingSpider-Man_096_SSCGC98oww_SLee.jpg

I'm not sure I've mentioned this before, but I wrote a paper on this run of issues back in college. University of Wyoming had a pop culture museum. For some reason Lee donated all his personal files to the school. They hadn't been organized so they let me just flip through tons of documents the guy had. It was incredible the stuff he saved. Millions of fan letters and drafts upon draft of press releases.

The controversy around these issues was incredible and, I believe, it really changed the landscape of comics.

I remember seeing Gene Shalit do a piece on this issue of Spider-Man on the Today show when this copy was first released back in February of 1971. I thought is was so cool to see a comic book featured and given serious consideration on a major TV network news story.

I have two comics in my collection signed -- a Flash #123 by Infantino and Schwartz and a Tales to Astonish #100 signed by Marie Severin -- that I got at the best comic convention of the past 20 years (the one in Westchester, New York, in 1999, that had a ton of Silver Age artists).

They're both in not terrific condition -- my personal copies -- and I think they're terrific. But that's it. Even when I buy comics from artists and writers at conventions, they go to sign them, and I say it's okay. I like to read and collect the comics, not the signatures.

I don't like signatures on my comics if:

- the signature is on the cover and detracts significantly from the cover art

- the signee is someone who had little to do with the comic

- the signee is Stan Lee doing one of the twelve thousand comics he's signed in the past three years

I like signatures on my comics if:

- the signature is in a margin of the splash page

- the signature is a vintage one

- the signature is scarce

Signed books are a waste of time, energy, and money for the collector, IMHO

These threads are ridiculous. Hey, you don't like asparagus? Don't eat asparagus.

Oh, and the way you collect is the correct way to collect. Thank you, I now realize I've been doing it wrong. :facepalm:

;)

:hi: