• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian shippers - is this shipping excessive?

20 posts in this topic

I just shipped a statue to Florida and it cost me $70. That said, I don't know the weight or dimensions of this piece.

Yeah. Just wanted to be sure and not jump to any conclusions. I knew postal fees in Canada was expensive, but didn't think it was THAT expensive. I've seen shipping from overseas that was cheaper.

Not necessarily, as long as its well-packed. Canada Post is expensive.

True and so are packing materials like the boxes or bubble wrap that they sell at the Canada Post outlets. That alone can add another $8-$10 to the cost of the shipping depending on the size of the parcel.

Very normal.

A smart Canadian sender will require tracking and insurance. easily is 60-70 dollars.

Not so. Shipping from eBay has usually run me $30-$40, although I have never had anything expedited.

Now UPS on the other hand....I paid $20 on the sellers end, PLUS $70 when it arrived on my doorstep.

Ouch! That sucks. :sorry:

I noticed the ad said "small damage on the box" I guess "small" was a relative measure consider the large amount of damage inside the box.

I don't have much experience in shipping or receiving statutes. How do you think this happened? Can a good whack (or two) cause the statue to break even though the box and the styrofoam are apparently undamaged? hm

However it happened, definitely a bummer. :(

I'll tell you how it happened. The statue was not lined up properly in the styrofoam box. Looks like he just banged it close and literally crushed the statue. I'm pretty pissed about this. Almost as if he's sticking the middle finger at me.

I'll tell you how it happened. The statue was not lined up properly in the styrofoam box. Looks like he just banged it close and literally crushed the statue. I'm pretty pissed about this. Almost as if he's sticking the middle finger at me.

Why would he do that? Have you left feedback because he has 100% positive feedback and will most likely want to keep it that way.

It was opened. There's no seal on this box. He's responded and asked to see some pics. Said he never took it out of the box so it's possible he didn't know that it was mangled. Although I can't imagine sending something out without first inspecting it. It's not like this thing was shrink wrapped or anything.

It was opened. There's no seal on this box. He's responded and asked to see some pics. Said he never took it out of the box so it's possible he didn't know that it was mangled. Although I can't imagine sending something out without first inspecting it. It's not like this thing was shrink wrapped or anything.

Do that - sent the pictures ... as many you think is needed. Did you get insurance and tracking number on the parcel? I find this hard to believe he said he never took it out of box and said he didn't know it was broken? Am I to take his word? No. Think about that ... what kind of seller didn't inspect the item if didn't take out of the box?

You said it was opened, so that is a grey area there. For me, I'd want to be sure that item is in prefect condition before put back in the box to sell. :taptaptap:

Shame that it looks to be a cool statue of Batman! :sorry:

Check the shipping label to see how much he actually paid for shipping. If it was insured, then you will get your actual shipping cost and purchase price back from Canada Post; though the sender has to submit a claim and forward to you.

Wow, that blows. Sorry for you that the statue was destroyed like that. Its been super cold up North the last few weeks, that might have made the statue more prone to breakage if it was dropped or jarred sharply by the handlers?

Hope you get things sorted out ok.

I had one statue I had come up from the US that got damaged on the way up, so I know how you feel. Statues are definitely tougher to ship and transport than a comic in my opinion.

Jason

the amount you paid for shipping it should be insured. If it isn't the seller was not that smart. I wouldn't send that kind of item without insurance, but that is just me.

Was it possibly opened by customs? if so there is the possibility that is how it was damaged.

I have had unopened sealed models sent to me by the seller that gets opened by customs to inspect. Totally blows if the intent was to keep it sealed.

I have also had it where customs lost pieces of a once complete miniature because they carelessly opened it. Guess what, there is nothing that can be done about it either. Didn't get insurance? To bad. I bought a rare ral partha miniature ltd edition model that got ruined because they opened it.

Those statues are extremely fragile, they are made by a type of poured/ injected resin and the slightest bump can cause a fracture.