• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine Nabisco hits insane raw price

107 posts in this topic

Linky doo

Maybe it's just me but this is just wrong... I've had many of these and they've never gone over $175 in raw and barely over $300 graded. Add to that the fact that Flannery's grading is a bit below Mile Highs and it makes you question the sanity of the people who bid that thing up.

What do you think Darth?

Man! I was looking at that item also. That is nuts! What is the next one going to go for? It IS a good looking copy though, a lot better than the last one Flannery had up. Maybe the book is going to top 1K. Is he the only guy that has them? What gives with this book? makepoint.gifscrewy.gif

Man! I was looking at that item also. That is nuts! What is the next one going to go for? It IS a good looking copy though, a lot better than the last one Flannery had up. Maybe the book is going to top 1K. Is he the only guy that has them? What gives with this book? makepoint.gifscrewy.gif

HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

Man! I was looking at that item also. That is nuts! What is the next one going to go for? It IS a good looking copy though, a lot better than the last one Flannery had up.

Take a look at it again. You'll notice that there is a spot above the M in marvel and some stress lines in the back that are visible. Having had multiple copies of this graded I can tell you that it's a 9.2/9.4 at best. Flannery just likes to embelish his view of the book. I've purchased two copies from him and both we over graded badly.

I just can't believe this book would hit these kinds of prices when only a month and a half ago he sold one as MINT that went for less than $200. What changed the bidding on this one? Could it be that he used a numerical grade on it this time... and does anyone really think this could get a 9.8 or 9.9?

...I live in Richmond,...I've had the pleasure to look at all of Flannery's copies of this book,....I don't think one is above a 8.5/9.0,....trust me if they were in any kind of decent shape you would be seeing me selling them slabbed right now on E-bay.....whoever won that book is going to be extremely disappointed when he receives it....

Rocketeer, I have a couple of questions because I am as amazed as Ghoti is about this book going for so much. How many copies does Flannery have and if you have seen all of them, where did he get so many? I heard that he has several high grade copies and I see that you originally said that he had a few in lousy shape and then you changed the story to " a whole friggin' boxful". What is the truth?

Why didn't you buy all he had so you could get them slabbed?

What else does he have? His feedback says nothing but good things about his packaging and grading. All of the comments on the Nabiscos are saying that he graded them accurately. What are you seeing that we don't? How many copies do you own of the book? sign-rantpost.gifgossip.gifpoke2.gif

Can you honestly look at the scan of the back cover and say his grading is accurate?

It amazes me how people get into the "high grade" game without knowing what they are doing.

No way in hell that book would grade 9.6 or higher.

foreheadslap.gif

What do you think Darth?

I bought five from flannery, slabbed 2: 8.5 and 9.2 - the other three had fatal flaws bringing them into the FN range - all were described to be the best copy out there or at least a NM.

btop looks "familiar" but if he is a valid buyer, then i think he is in for a rude awakening when it comes back lower than a 9.6 .... the last 9.6 I sold went for a little over $340 confused-smiley-013.gif

Flannery does really well wti hypeing the book up, describing the scarecity, how he'll never do this again and they are hard to replace 893blahblah.gif I have to give him that. The prices on these go up and down depending on whose looking. There was a time this past year when they weren't breaking $80

so..wrapping it all up...the buyer can't grade and just got taken in by the hype

I'm just glad I sold my wolverine 145 cgc 9.6 copy...it's a book I won't be picking up anytime soon.

Rocketeer, I have a couple of questions because I am as amazed as Ghoti is about this book going for so much. How many copies does Flannery have and if you have seen all of them, where did he get so many?

..he's got a lot,...I've probably seen about a dozen or so over the last year,...none of them would grade higher than a 9.0

I heard that he has several high grade copies and I see that you originally said that he had a few in lousy shape and then you changed the story to " a whole friggin' boxful". What is the truth?

....I have know idea how many copies he has left at this point....the last time I asked to see them he showed me three...he says he has more,...however he has been systematically selling them on E-bay for years now

...cause they all looked like crud,..and Flannery is from the old school of grading where every book above a VF is considered NM.....and he wants a fortune for all of them....

What else does he have? His feedback says nothing but good things about his packaging and grading.

...he has uncirculated back stock from about 1983 to the present....however most of his books have been stored without boards and are in less than NM condition....I have basically gone through most of his inventory and picked it clean of any high grade modern keys,...he still has multiple copies of books like ASM 238...XM 266...Hulk 340..and Wolverine LTD #1..upwards of 50 copies each...but nothing that would grade past a 9.0/9.2

All of the comments on the Nabisco's are saying that he graded them accurately. What are you seeing that we don't?

..ask Apotheosis, Hensley or Darth about the condition of that book,...I think they have all bought copies from him....I see the same flaws that they do....

How many copies do you own of the book?

...none,...I've never seen a copy that was worth buying,...I have bought many books from him in the 9.4-9.8 range however,...but only after carefully scrutiny

..he's got a lot,...I've probably seen about a dozen or so over the last year,...none of them would grade higher than a 9.0

You originally said that he has a friggin' box load, how many did you actually see in this boxload. I am trying to get the facts not rumor. He has shown you EVERY AUCTIONED off copy?

....I have know idea how many copies he has left at this point....the last time I asked to see them he showed me three...he says he has more,...however he has been systematically selling them on E-bay for years now.

I see the auctions too, but YOU say he has more and that you have seen ALL of them. What did he start with? Why is he the only place to get them? No one else seems to have them in quantity which makes me wonder if he is printing his own?

...cause they all looked like crud,..and Flannery is from the old school of grading where every book above a VF is considered NM.....and he wants a fortune for all of them....

What is the grade aboveVF? I thought it was NM -Mint.

...he has uncirculated back stock from about 1983 to the present....however most of his books have been stored without boards and are in less than NM condition....I have basically gone through most of his inventory and picked it clean of any high grade modern keys,...he still has multiple copies of books like ASM 238...XM 266...Hulk 340..and Wolverine LTD #1..upwards of 50 copies each...but nothing that would grade past a 9.0/9.2

His feedback says otherwise and every one says positive things and the grades are better than expected...???!!!

..ask Apotheosis, Hensley or Darth about the condition of that book,...I think they have all bought copies from him....I see the same flaws that they do....

I looked for their feedbacks under his name and could not find any bad comments about overgrading. What gives, guys? Hensley, Darth? What grade did you get for your Nabiscos that you bought from Flannery? Where are your comments in his feedback report.

...none,...I've never seen a copy that was worth buying,...I have bought many books from him in the 9.4-9.8 range however,...but only after carefully scrutiny

Whenever I walk into my LCS, I am really having to do the same thing because the darn books have gotten shopworn from everyone trying to find the best raw copies and the ones on the rack have all been bent over in half. They put too many copies in the racks.

I will tell you exactly why I am interested in some questions. I am looking to buy from Flannery since he seems to be the only way to get Nabisco Variants. Since I came to this board under recommendation recently I have read all of the posts concerning that book , Flannery, Dave's Comics, and am very worried that I might not get what I wanted. I thought the book was a few $100. at most by am floored by yesterday's results. My last few speculative buys of raw books have not panned out and the grades have come back less than what I thought they would. You guys have much more experience buying raw than I do but the facts seem a little contradictory. If I seem too nosy,I am sorry,but I am just watching my wallet. Again, is there another source that I can compare books and prices from? Any other advice? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif